“big let down”
Review of La Tour

We can't find prices for this accommodation
La Tour
Ranked #164 of 853 Blackpool B&B and Inns
seaham
“big let down”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

my wife and i recently returned from a urquhart 5 day excursion to blackpool where were allocated this hotel. on arrival we were given keys to room 203 on the 2nd floor, i proceeded to take our luggage and assist my wife who is heavily dependant on her walking stick due to complications to the second floor via a lift, on arriving at the 2nd floor we discovered that an older person than ourselves had also been allocted keys to room203 after a brief discussion i offered the other person who was a woman my offer of going to reception to sort it out and left my wife with her and our luggage. at reception i explained to the member of staff who was a woman what had happened, at the same time several people were complaining about the state of their rooms, the member of staff with much deliberation with 2 other collegues in reception then told me to give key 301 to the other lady, i point blank refused and told them to sort the problem out, the young lady who i was dealing with then dashed out of the office and proceeded up to the 2nd floor where i tried my level best to keep up with her, at 75 i find it a little difficult to climb stairs myself. when we arrived on the floor the lady with the other key 203 was no where to be seen, the member of staff then gave me key 203 back but i told her that it was up to her to check this room with me just in case, on entering the room it was obvious that someone was already using the room and told the staff member that there was no way i was staying there as it was disgusting, she the asked my wife and i if we would look at room 301 to which we agreed, she then again hurried off while i my wife and our luggage struggled to keep up with her, she then went up another flight of stairs to where i remonstratedwith her why she hadnt used the lift for the sake of wife. as we entered room 301 it was obviou it was in dire need of refurbishment. we were asked if this room was acceptable, i could see my wife was agitate and distressed as was i ,so agreed to take it. after the staff member left we examined the accomodation more thoroughly and discovered where ever we walked the floor boards creaked and groaned, the toilet holder was just about hanging off the wall, the wash basin could have done with better fixing and there was a crack running right through the shower tray. when we went down for our meal we were asked by a gentleman staff member if everything was alright and i told him no, i then began explaing the list of events that had taken place and made my complaints to him, his comment was teething problems and that the shower tray would be perfectly ok to use ( his words ) needless to say my wife and i never used the shower in case any water ingressed to the apartment below. the meals was in my opinion poor to say the least, the minestrone soup was inedible the home made steak pie crust was so tough we had problems getting it cut up and the meals were repetitive, all in all we were bitterly dissapointed.
but it has to be pointed out that the restaurant had just been refurbished and was very good and the waiters worked very hard , if they refurbish this hotel to the same standard and the reception got their act together this could be a splendid hotel as the location is very handy for all amenities

Room Tip: not sure as a lot of people in our party complained about the state of their rooms
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank greymaverick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel as part of a coach tour/ package. When we arrived and went to our rooms some of the party's rooms had not been hoovered, and the toilet bowl had been used and left unclean. On further inspections on the rooms we all found versions hygiene issues. For example the head boards in Four rooms we had were in grained in dirt and dust !! Room 217 could not use the shower as when sink was in use the shower tray filled with black substance and stench from the plug hole. Carpets stained through out the building. Other people on the coach tour said the bins had not been emptied on arrival to their room. No locks on toilet doors.
The proprietors welcomed the group on arrival but after asking for our room to be hoovered we felt they became rude toward us.
At breakfast a member of staff was heard talking about some customers and how many slices of toast they had. !
The bar area had been modernised, the hotel needs a good cleaning. We would not recommend this hotel. Party of seven

• Stayed October 2013
5 Thank Covdp
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We were a group of 10 fun loving ladies 3 had birthdays, 50th,57 th,and 60th there were 3 ,in there 30s aswell,it was a mistery location so we didnt know what to expect , when we knew it was blackpool .we thought..oh dear :(.....but very plesantly suprised,at blackpool as a whole,Holtel " la tour" had just been taken over and wasnt in top class condition ,but all in all it was spotles and comfortable, nice rooms , good food ,think newly decorated very plesent dining room and retro bar with disco ball , all inviting and all you need ,and the new owners and staff were exrta friendly and helpful ,3 off us are planning to take our partners for a long weekend asap,, ! thank you and hope to see you soon, lynda, pattie, bev, jerry(from jersey) , julie,angela,pam,and christeen the organiser (from duram) well done...one of the younger ladies wasnt too happy said service in dining room wasnt very good, ??? think the staff were stil training up ..but they did there darned best. also we went to a smashing club/show "VIVA BLACKPOOL" strongly recomended

Room Tip: quieter rooms at the back, and the coachdriver was disterbed by couple/s on the top floor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This hotel was recently purchased by a 'virgin' hotelier. The fresh, friendly and welcoming manner of the patron makes her stand head and shoulders above her counterparts. This unbridled enthusiasm has filtered down to the staff who are friendly and professional. My room was clean and fresh.

The patron informed me that all the rooms were undergoing an upgrading program but mine had not been upgraded yet, this represents excellent value for money as my room was more than adequate in its present state. I work in the Oil and Gas industry and am used to 4 and 5 star hotels world-wide. While La Tour does not claim to be the Hilton, it's certainly not a million miles away at a tenth of the price.

The new patron has bought a number of secure garaged parking areas which I utilized, again at a bargain price.

The food (breakfast and evening meal) was of an acceptable standard and will only improve as the new patron continually improves all aspects of the hotel including the catering.

The bar/lounge area is clean and comfortable allowing for a relaxed family atmosphere. The entertainer was excellent in a 'Blackpool Style' and was well received by all attending.

It is worth noting that several bus tours refused to stay in a hotel on the other side of the road due to disgustingly appalling conditions. The customers ended up in La Tour hotel or the hotel directly across the street.

In summary, and being as honest as I can be: Excellent value for money, clean, friendly, welcoming, centrally located, spacious and accommodating. In my opinion, the only thing that I wouldn't rate as excellent is the food - but I know that the new owner is working on that. I plan to return to Blackpool next year and will have no hesitation in choosing La Tour again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank ROV1968
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed for one night (Harry Shaw Travel). The room was comfortable and well-decorated with plenty of drawer and cupboard space. I found the bed a bit too hard for my arthritic joints and didn't sleep very well but that;s just my mattress preference. Our evening meal and breakfast were excellent and I have to praise the dining room staff - very young but very smart, polite and efficient. If the radiator in the corridor outside our room had been turned off, we'd have been more comfortable in our room but there was no control knob so we couldn't turn it down. If we eer go back to Blackpool, we'd be more than happy to stay at La Tuor again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Lydney, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Fab weekend stay at the la tour the staff are friendly and cant do enough for you nothing is to much trouble my room was very nice and very clean the owners r very nice the food and service was excellent i am going back next year and i give it 11 out of 10 .

Room Tip: room 306 for a good view
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Julie A
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

just back from long weekend at this hotel, staff and new owner were friendly ,room disappointing no mirror beside hairdrier one of the bedside lamps not working, food poor steak pie- burnt pastry, meat dried out , fish portion tiny supposed to be haddock tasted like river cobbler don't know if this was because we were on a tour bus i.e and they felt that it was ok but we have been on lots of these tours and this hotel is one we would never return to

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple