“Pigeon Weekend January 2012”

Elgin Hotel Blackpool
Ranked #8 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
“Pigeon Weekend January 2012”
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We arrived at the hotel and collected our key 236B (which is a posh pod with a sea view) We were very disappointed with the room (after viewing rooms on your website). The unit which held the tea tray had years of paint on which was peeling off. The element in the kettle although de-scaled was very black and looked corroded - (we also have a hotel on the East Coast of Yorkshire - when my kettles look like this I replace them) The bathroom had a new toilet and sink fitted (it was a different colour to the bath) but no new floor covering had been fitted so the lino didn't fit the new sink and toilet, which didn't look very good. The bath taps were painted brown and the paint was peeling off. There was quite a lot of surface dust on the top of lampshades and bed heads etc.We really had to force the bathroom door to open over the carpet in the bedroom.

On the plus side the staff were very good and we couldn't fault the food and the effeciency of service. You seem to have a very good team there. Also although there were two rooms with entertainment and when I went to bed around 10.00pm to read I couldn't hear a thing. The bedding is very clean I didn't bring any shower gel or shampoo thinking it would have been provided in a 2 star hotel so I went to the Nisa shop down the street and got some there. I would have bought some at Reception had you sold it. All in all for the sheer volume of people you must have through your door the staff cope exceptionally well.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a newly re-furbished room
5 Thank camcourt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Excellent weekend Room(very clean) Staff(willing to please) Food (plentiful) Bars Entertainment (good) will be back next year for the fourth time love the place.

1 Thank Brian H
Reviewed 17 January 2012

My family and I have just spent the weekend at the elgin Hotel, Blackpool. We have stayed at the Elgin many times, why? because it is a smashing, friendly, homely hotel, great food, with very helpful staff. The hoteler and the staff cannot do enough for you, they make us feel very welcome.
The hotel has various room types to choose from, we always stay in a standard room, althougth some rooms are small, they are all very clean with ensuite bathrooms, we are never disapointed with the bedroom we are given. Anyone wanting to 'upgrade' to a better type of room have only to ask the receptionist at the time of your booking.
A good hotel I would always recommend the elgin to everybody.

Room Tip: I would that you speak to the receptionist at the time of booking, tell them if you want a quiet roo...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Garry C
Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2012

The Hotel is large and very friendly with 3 floors to play with, 2 bars downstairs and when we go in January they have entertainment on every night. I think is is the case all year round, not to sure because we only go for the weekend. The food is great and plentiful and staff very polite and willing to please. You have to take pot luck with the rooms, sometimes we get a OK room and then sometimes we get a small room. This year (just come back on Jan 15th) we had a small room and gettng a round was a bit difficult. But they are very cean and have a telly in each room. I love Blackpool and am glad I stayed at the Elgin because it reminds me of fun times all those years ago as a kid, it's a traditional Hotel and one that fits very well into Blackpools lovely history. Might try again when the light go on........

Room Tip: It's away from the centre of Blackpool, so be prepared to get taxi's or walk. Walk takes abo...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank kicky1957
Yorkshire
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Spent christmas at the elgin with my parents and didnt really want to go as from my parents previous visits i knew me and my husband would be the youngest . Nice bar areas and lovely Roberts room in the main dining area which we were lucky to eat in . Our rooms were quite dated as is a lot of the hotel , my mum is disabled and couldnt manage in the lift and with no hesitation they were offered another room which unfortunately was in the other part of the hotel and had to use a small lift which my mum panics about , The room was so nice , clean and modern me and my husband snapped it up , shame to let it go to waste . The next day they gave my parents another room , again with a sea view , xmas eve they broke the shower and the staff were so accomodating and sortec out a plumber straight away . Nothing was too much for any of the staff who were all friendly and in my opinion all deserve a medal as they do put up with a lot from some of the fussy moaning guests . We did enjoy it and went for the sake of my parents , i would highly suggest staying here if your my parents age , no offence . They look after you and entertain you .

• Stayed December 2011
3 Thank YorkshireKebab
Selby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We stayed at the Elgin for a weekend in mid-January. Although our room was "cosy" it was comfortable and spotlessly clean. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly - nothing was too much trouble for them. The food was absolutely first-class and the evening entertainment was enjoyable. Overall we had a great weekend and our stay represented excellent value for money.

Reviewed 12 January 2012

Nice littel hotel on the North shore. Had a lovely room Although a little cramped , There was far too many beds for the room size. Lovely cosy bed, Bathroom very tiny but spotless if not very scary if you need the loo at night, blue floor lights gave a feeling of 'beam me up scotty'
It was elvis weekend and we had the choice of 2 rooms and 2 Elvis's to watch. Nice friendly staff and would definately return

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple