“get cheffin”

Ranked #8 of 72 Hotels in Blackpool
Preston, United Kingdom
“get cheffin”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

just returned from a midweek stay hotel is comfortable clean and the staff are helpful and friendly entertainment is also very good waiter service is excellent Breakfast is fine, However evening meals are disappointing watery powdered soup YUK !!!! Convenience food on a plate YUK!!! Might see if one a them TV chefs could help like with the NHS and school meals its not hard to make soup and cook meat!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank anne n
elginhotel, Owner Manager at Elgin Hotel Blackpool, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Dear Anne
Many thanks for the feedback. I was delighted to hear that you found your room clean and comfortable, and that you enjoyed our entertainment and service. I’m naturally disappointed to read your comments regarding our food. I am in the hotel 5 nights a week and on most of these I am either in the kitchen or take time to walk around the dining room to ensure that guests enjoy their meals and their holiday in general. I am surprised that you didn’t say anything to me during your stay – we genuinely are keen to hear of any issues so that we can rectify them at the time. As you will read from other reviewers we very rarely have any complaints about the food, indeed we do consider it one of our strengths. We do use packet soups but we do enhance these with fresh ingredients – often giving the appearance and taste of a home-made soup. All our meat and fish are fresh (with the exception of Plaice), as are most of our vegetables. We don’t buy in any ‘ready to serve’ deserts – they are all made here at the hotel. It could well be that we failed to offer our usual fare to you on one occasion and, if you would like to contact me, I would be delighted to discuss your comments and perhaps treat you to ‘Dinner for Two’ in the hotel.
Please be assured that we do appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention.
Yours Sincerely,
Nigel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Only one night BB and Evening meal, room small but very good, evening meal fine, breakfast very good, service very good and in a perfect position.
Couldn't fault it or it's staff.
Car park is small but it's not a problem for the staff, very well oranised.
The restaurant manager was very helpful, as were the receptionists.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Rosie
Many thanks for your kind comments.
I'm delighted that you all enjoyed your stay and found everything to your liking. We really appreciate your feedback.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

Just returned from a trip to the Elgin, took 16 elderly rockers to the ABBA weekend.(27-29 Sept 2013)
Welcomed to the hotel & found everything very good ,rooms clean & bright & all staff could not do enough for you, anything you needed just ask & it is there.
Dining room large & all 16 of us sat together as requested. Food was great plenty of it & cooked to perfection, the waiters were friendly & quick no waiting around between courses.
All in all a good friendly home from home hotel would recommend to anyone.

Brian & Friends

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank BrianC5972013
elginhotel, Owner Manager at Elgin Hotel Blackpool, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Hi Brian
Many thanks for your kind comments. Really pleased that everyone enjoyed themselves.
Hopefully see you all in the not too distant future.
Please pass on our best wishes to all the team.
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

This was my second time at the Elgin, and enjoyed my stay, rooms nice and clean, good food,and value for money, the entertainment was a sixties cabaret , with some 70-80 shoved in
1 downside was the Internet connection, which was very poor, even their own computer did not connect -room for improvement, the service was very fast, good waiters, considering the hotel was jam packed on Saturday,the maid did come in one morning when we were at breakfast, to service the room, which was not very nice, I have been in a lot of hotels in Blackpool, The Elgin is one of the best, I will be back...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jim G
Hi Jas
Many thanks for your kind complements, not least that you believe we're the best in Blackpool!
I have been in contact with our 'Wifi Man' and he has now put a high powered transmitter in the area of hte hotel near your room as well as a repeater on the adjacent floor. This is working at the moment but we will continue to monitor the signal. Thanks for drawing this to our attention.
Really good to hear that you enjoyed the food, service and entertainment. We have just made the short list for the Lancashire Tourist Board's 'Large Hotel of the Year' - hoping that the judges are of the same mindset as yourself!
We look forward to being of future service.
Kind Regards,
Shanghai, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Following my dad's passing away last week I asked if the Elgin would host his funeral reception. I agreed with the receptionist the arrangements and also made a booking for one night's B&B for my aunty (my dad's sister) and uncle to stay in the hotel on the evening of the funeral. I was told that there were, indeed, two bedrooms available and given a price for B&B of around 39.50 (GBP) per person per night. So I asked for the reservation to be made and was told that the owner of the hotel would call me to confirm the arrangements the following day. Whilst speaking to said owner, although the reception arrangements were confirmed, I was told that my aunty couldn't stay for one night as (and these are the words of the owner almost verbatim): 'This might sound a bit mercenary, but I could make more money if I sold the room as a package. I could make around 200 pounds with a package so if it's just for a night I can't accommodate your aunty here but I can get a favourable rate for you in another hotel down the road'. I explained that I would first have to ask my aunty what her views were (she, of course, wanted to stay in the hotel in which the reception would take place) but the conversation had left such a bitter taste in my mouth given the circumstances of my dad's passing coupled with the facts that a) I was giving the hotel function business (on what I guess would be a quiet day); b) I had already made the reservation for one night through the receptionist the following day, that I asked my mum what she thought about using another venue. We didn't have to think twice to decide to take our business away from the Elgin and redirect it to a more welcoming and altogether more emotionally intelligent team in another hotel. Maybe the owner thinks he's made a business-savvy decision. I tend to disagree...Regardless of the business decision made, the sheer lack of empathy beggars belief...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
45 Thank MattB6
elginhotel, Owner Manager at Elgin Hotel Blackpool, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
To all people reading this ‘review’!

I write this response carefully as I understand at such times of a bereavement people can understandably be extremely sensitive.

The truth, however is, that no accommodation reservations were made at the hotel. We were asked if we had 12 rooms available and our Receptionist told MattB6 that we only had 2 rooms available that week in the hotel. She suggested another hotel close-by that might be able to take the group. She did give an indication of our nightly price of £39.50 but certainly did not reserve any rooms. As far as she was aware she thought the group would be having the funeral reception with us and staying elsewhere.

I hope and feel sure that TripAdvisor will remove this report from our reviews.This person, by his own admission, has not stayed at the hotel, however his review quite unfairly puts us further down the rankings and we pride ourselves in cosistently being in the top 10 in Town.

When I spoke to the customer the next day to confirm all the arrangements for the funeral reception, everything seemed fine until I mentioned that we would not be able to accommodate any guests for a one night stay. I pointed out that we could find good value accommodation for his group nearby. Obviously MattB6 was not happy with this and ultimately said, ‘well if you won’t let us have these two rooms we’re not coming’. I explained that unfortunately I couldn’t do this. By way of explanation I pointed out that these two rooms would, in all probability, be let for 4 nights. I did apologise for the fact that this might sound mercenary. No figures were discussed at this stage. I volunteered to see if I could find any other way of providing rooms for him – maybe someone was leaving early or some other bookings were unconfirmed. I said I would ring him back.

Having checked our records, I rang the man and said regrettably we were not going to be able to let him have the two rooms for a one night stay. I did point out that it would cost us something in the order of £400 to do this (£200 per room). I did this, in good faith, thinking that he might realise that I was not being pedantic or unreasonable. He was clearly vexed and made it quite apparent that he was going to take the funeral party elsewhere.

I really hope that in the fullness of time that the family will see this incident for what it is. We do empathise with people at these difficult times and certainly have no wish to cause any offence, not least to a recent widow who we have huge respect for.

Nigel Seddon
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

Fantastic two night break with a group of friends the food was superb. All the hotel staff were helpful, friendly and would go out of there way to help. The whole of the hotel was spotless what a fab housekeeping team you have. Would recommend to anyone and everyone it suits everyones tastes. The entertainment was brilliant, we danced and laughed the whole weekend. We will definately be arranging a return visit. Thanks to all for making our birthday bash a complete success (and the surprise birthday cake) was delicous and much appreciated.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank suealle53
Hi Sue
Many thanks for your kind review - really good to know that you all enjoying yourselves. Our housekeeping team will be particularly pleased to hear your feedback. Apologies for my delay in reply.
Hoping that we can help you enjoy many more family Bithday Celebrations.
Kind Regards and Best Wishes
Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

just had another fantastic stay at elgin weather was good the room was superb nicely decorated the head waiter tom was very helpful as was all the staff in dining room all staff at your hotel are very good too we really enjoyed tour of lights which were better than last year only down side was that we had to come home earlier than normal on fri was told it was something to do with coaches we was not told why we were coming home in the morning instead of afternoon we had to ask the girls on reception who was as surprised as the guests would have appreciated if you could have given the guests a reason why the coach was picking us up at 10.30 instead of 1.30 but will be coming next year as soon as we know when the tours for next year come out thankyou nigel for a fab holiday again see you next year

Room Tip: you will get a welcome from the management on arrivel nice quiet hotel good entertainment good food...