“lovely hotel”

Ranked #7 of 69 Hotels in Blackpool
A TripAdvisor Member
“lovely hotel”
Reviewed 13 November 2005

we were given the family room although we booked the standard double, no complaints there as we get extra pillows and comforters. lovely size, very quiet. the shower had NO control mechanism, it was either you shut it off or it blew you into the wall opposite. showers were taken with entertaining results. the restaurant was okay ish.

• Stayed October 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
  • Arabic first
dublin
Reviewed 7 November 2005

everything about this hotel was excellent. rooms spotless and modern, food lovely and staff friendly would not stay anywhere else if visiting blackpool again.

5 Thank cherry2
Bolton, Lancs
Reviewed 2 November 2005

Well, me and my boyfriend stayed at the Big Blue Hotel in Blackpool for my birthday in October for a Saturday night. The cost was pritty reasonable £80 a room for 1 night, which you would probably pay £30 each for a B&B anyway.

The rooms where really nice, very modern with luxury bathroom, DVD, TV, Tea and Coffee etc, the room was quite spacious, we were facing the car park so i dont know what the view is like on the other side where the Pleasure Beach is, and the beds were so comfy i didnt want to go out when i lay on them, i could have stayed in and chiiled out in room as they do DVD packages eg, DVD, Meal, Bottle of wine for around £15 which is great if you wanted to chill out but it was my birthday and i hit the town instead. Watch out for water, wine, and mugs in room because if you open them you will be charged, there is a little slip around the top saying "if you drink me you will be charged £10" thats the wine £3 for the water and about £5 for the mugs if you want to take them home. The only problem was trying to do my hair and makeup and they dont have a mirror over the dressing table and have a ful length mirror near the wardrobes where the lighting was terrible.

When we first arrived it was a bit of a ball ache trying to park, i went in and our room was ready this was around 1pm as they say the rooms wont be ready until after 2pm, i booked a double room but i got a twin instead, but the room was very nice so i didnt mind. We were given a slip to put in the window screen of the car because the hotel car park was full, so you get to park across the road in a public car park but you dont need to pay as you put this slip in the window, this was a lot of messing about plus its right next to the train station so i was a bit paroniod of leaving it there as the car park was not full, so around 9pm we went and checked to see if ther was a parking space free i had to wait in the rain in the space so no one would take it while my boyfriend went and got the car.

We went into the bar for a drink before we went out which was very nice, quite pricy though, there were alot of children running in and out, screeming and messing about so dont expect a quite drink, the hotel is very good for kids what i seen. When we arrived back around 1am, the hotel was still serving even though it says it stops at 11pm, so we had another couple of drinks which was nice because it was very quiet.

Well the Sunday that we were going home we were woken by the spoke alarm about 8.30, which was a mistake so we got up anyway and decided to go down for breakfast early before everyone comes down, we walked through the bar area which was jam packed with people waiting for a table, everyones face looked pritty p----- off, i heard someone say its about 45mins wait, this was rediculous as the dining area is very small, alls i wanted was a buffet breakfast to fill me up for the day, so we checked out and went to a cafe which i had to pay for again, there was no appology from any staff or other alternatives like eat in your room as there was that many people. but other than that everything was ok, if you want breakfast you will have to be one of the first to get there. i would go again but book room only and eat else where.

10 Thank LeanneBolton
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 31 October 2005

Having only just been informed of this site, I had to write about my stay back in May 05 (slightly late I know)! Looking at some of the reviews I have to say that I booked my room through late rooms and on a bed and breakfast rate -no problems there! I got upgraded to an executive suite very nice.

I came away after close friend had passed away and it was relaxing, friendly and my husband and I were well looked after.

The only downside was checking out I found I had been charged for another guest dinners! Having mentioned this to the chap who gave me our bill, he then said he could'nt help me, a second person come over to help and again was told he did not do check outs.

Eventually having passed over all my receipts that I had kept, 10 minutes later we were told it was a mistake as the Restaurant manager knew we had paid, as we went. I think it was Grant who ran the restaurant, a very friendly & funny guy who made us feel very welcome!

All in all we had a great time and we will be back to pay another visit.

• Stayed May 2005
4 Thank viksticks
Newport, South Wales
Reviewed 23 October 2005

Stayed for 2 nights in October in a Club Room. The comfort was superb with plasma tv, 3 separate heating systems (including a proper radiator) and lounge chairs with footrests. One thing sadly lacking was an upright chair enabling one to sit at the desk area which would have been very useful. Wardrobe space is also limited.
All staff were extremely courteous and friendly but what a pity that a hotel which aspires to be prestigious has such a pathetic reception area more suited to a one star hotel.
Had one dinner and one breakfast in the hotel. Both were fine but personally I would have preferred a more traditional menu for the dinner and breakfast was totally self service including the coffee and toast.
It's certainly not cheap but then all the quality hotels in Blackpool charge high prices during the illuminations and conference seasons.
One strange quirk is that the website showed no room availability for the days requested but I was able to get an immediate on-line booking through Expedia. The staff told me that the hotel doesn't run its own website so I might have done better if I had phoned them direct.

• Stayed October 2005
6 Thank topfca
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 October 2005

My self, wife, daughter and her friend stayed here and thought it was wonderfull. We had a executive suite. This was the best room i have ever stopped in. All mod cons, huge living area with seperate bedroom 2 plasma screen tvs, air con and a double door overlooking the pepsi max.

We also eat in the diner at night which was lovely.

The only things we didnt like was for a huge hotel the reception is tiny and booking in/out is a bit of a ordeal and the same went for breakfast, this was lovely but guests were having to wait quite a while to be seated.

All in all though it was a great experience and bet the pants of the usual b and bs we stay in.....

• Stayed September 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 October 2005

I have got to keep this short but you can really trust the reviews on this website. We spent 4 nights here during early September, I had booked an Executive double room and having arrived very early (about 11am) really did not expect to get access into our room but wanted to offload our luggage. Not only had they got our room ready but we had been upgraded to a Club room. Regular complaints on this website is of unfriendly reception staff, we didnt encounter a single member of staff who didnt do their best to please. We did have a little difficulty finding our room, maybe a private check in for Club guests could be a good idea, as the club rooms are a long walk from main reception. Rooms stylish, views of park are exciting but not to everybodys taste i shouldnt think! Toiletries are of good quality and chambermaid service is of high standard but no "turn down" service. I wanted to book the next stage of our holiday and was allowed to use for free the business centres internet"excellent", breakfast wasn't too busy midweek and of excellent quality. A really wonderful stay and good value for the quality, dont know if I can afford the Club rooms though. There seemed plenty of car parking when we stayed and it was free. Blackpool could pull its socks up though, without the Pleasure Beach it might as well give up. Well done to all at Big Blue and of course to the Thompson Family who I believe are the family behind it.

• Stayed September 2005