“Awful customer care!”

Ranked #7 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Awful customer care!”
Reviewed 7 August 2010

This will be a very quick review just to let you know what the manager/owner of this hotel is like! I'm from Wales and I have a friend from Manchester who I cannot see very often so for the past 4 years we have met for a day and night in Blackpool - usually choosing this hotel as it is so close to the pleasure beach!

I made the booking myself over the telephone and paid over £200 when booking and had written down all details and taken them to the hotel with me. Arrived at the hotel and was told that my booking was for the night before!!!!! Nightmare! Two very unhappy adults and 5 mortified children!!!

I spoke with the hotel manager and she said they had 12 rooms still available that night and we were welcome to stay - as long as we paid the full price of another £200!!!! I asked if it was possible to have some sort of discount due to us staying here every year and an obvious booking error on their part! (The reason I know it was their mistake is because it would have been IMPOSSIBLE for me to have stayed the night before due to other commitments!) The answer was "NO - I should have checked my confirmation e-mail!

Now this is where I hold my hands up and yes I should have checked my e-mail BUT circumstances were that I literally couldn't due to my computer being broken!

So here we are all unhappy, children all crying and we obviously CANNOT afford to pay another £200! We ask to speak to the hotel director/owner - who greeted us with a smug look on his face and lied to us about how many room he had available that night! All the girls behind the desk were giggling at our expense! We asked him extremely nicely for some sort of discount (just think of the bedding and cleaning costs he saved with us not using the room the night before and our uneaten breakfast!). He's reply was that he was not running a charity and full price would have to be paid, smirking the whole whole time!!

Now we all know how expensive Summer holidays can be - but a little bit of graciousness from this man was all we were asking for but we got NOTHING!! We ended up walking around the corner to a very nice and comfortable B&B which was only £70 for the lot of us - and this is where I will be going in future.

To think of this greedy man's pockets being lined with our money sickens me - and I will NEVER stay here again! There are plenty of clean, friendly and family oriented B&B all over the place for a fraction of the cost with honest and caring owners - I really advise you to check them out first.

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank lolalitta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (652)
  • Arabic first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2010

I have snow stayed at The Big Blue 3 times and each time the standard of the hotel improves how i don't know as it is so high any way !! NOTHING is a problem to the staff and they are always willing to help. Our room was the Delux Doulbe and it was beautiful spotless clean with all the small details making it a wonderful rom to stay in. I am now looking forward to my 4TH TRIP !!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Prestwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2010

My Partner and I stayed in this hotel for two nights in August 2010. It was excellent in every way. We had a deluxe room with a seating area that featured a juliette balcony that opened onto a magical view of the Pleasure beach. The Big One literally whizzed passed our window!
Free Parking made it cheaper than many of the B&Bs in Blackpool and we secured the cheapest rate by going onto their website and paying an advance. Absolutely excellent value for money - a luxury stay that made a great cheap break even better. I would recommend without any hesitation at all.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Banchory, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2010

We visited this hotel with another couple in their late 20's and we all had a fab time. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the rooms were very well maintained.

Very central location (right next to the Peasure Beach). We were a bit concerned that the noise from the Pleasure Beach would be very loud, however the rides didn't start until after we were all back from breakfast. No need to use your car either as the tram and buses are on your doorstep.

We will be using this hotel if we are ever in Blackpool again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2010

We stayed in a superior family room, 2 adults 1 infant and a 4 yr old.

We were thoroughly impressed with the staff and accomodation - nothing was too much trouble and everything dealt with in a lovely manner.

We stayed on the front side of the Hotel, quiet room, having said that the Pleasure Park shut by early evening anyway so think either side of Hotel would have been quiet, but we did have a sea view and my son was delighted at seeing a Dalek illumination!

Only slight problem was the Travel cot only just fitted into the children's section but the designated children's section was brilliant for the kids. Also the Hotel did not have access to bed guards, so do bring your own if your kids are use to them.

Well done Big Blue :)

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 30 July 2010

This hotel is about a 30 seconds' walk from the Blackpool pleasure train Station. The amenties are good and the rooms are comfortable and of a good size. The staff provided a good service and were helpful as to location attractions etc.

The buffet breakfast was a comphrensive fair of hot full English and cold Continental. The tower is about a 20-25 minute walk away, but on a summers day, this will be pleasant journey. Cafe, the pleasure beach, restaurants are all within easy walking distance. Definately one of the better hotels in Blackpool.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Midlands England
Reviewed 18 July 2010

This is our second stay at the BBH as part of annual cheap as chips weekend to Blackpool. It bills itself as a "boutique" hotel which is a bit of a cheek. That said - this is Blackpool - so everything is relative. It has a great location for the pleasure beach (but not for the bars). Its too pricey for stag and hen do's. It has really good food and a decent breakfast. If I had kids I would definitley take them for the bunk beds , playstations and individual tv's ( what a great idea). A really comfy bed - but watch our for the tremors from the big one waking you up.....

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple