Chequers Plaza Hotel Blackpool
Savoy Hotel(Blackpool)
  • Beachfront
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
All reviewscoach tripsea viewdavid urquharttram stopnice bathroomsingle roomday ticketweekend breakstaying at this hotelfull englishexcellent value for moneylong weekendfood was lovelysea frontmy partnertoastfamily room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel recently and can thoroughly recommend it.

I travelled with Just Go! and our coach driver contacted the hotel when we were a few miles away to prepare them for our imminent arrival.

The lady who came on to the coach made us very welcome and gave us clear instructions about checking in – and told us the all-important time of the evening meal.

There are steps up to this hotel but the young man whose job it was to bring the luggage to our rooms bounded down those steps and carried my case up for me. It was subsequently delivered correctly to me.

The check in procedure was quick and painless and we chose the main course of our evening meal at the same time.

I had a single room on the first floor and I was very pleased with it – it was warm and comfortable and adequately equippedwith a partial sea view.

The room was clean, the bedding good, the bed comfortable and the towels soft and fluffy. I had a table and chair, a wall mounted flat screen television and hospitality tray. (I will include photographs.)

The staff were hardworking, efficient and very friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. The first time I tried my television it didn’t work. I rang Reception and Simon came up to sort it out. It wouldn’t work for him either so he went and got a brand new television and set it going – all in less than ten minutes. Brilliant service.

Breakfast was self service for juice, grapefruit, toast and cereal, but waiter service for the cooked food, tea and coffee. There was the excitement of a toaster going on fire on our last morning, but that was swiftly and efficiently dealt with.

After breakfast each morning I stopped at Reception and chose my main course for that evening’s meal. This was really well organised - a note was taken of my room number and my choice written beside it. I always got what I’d ordered. There were enough dishes on the menu for choice. The food was well cooked and presented and the vegetables were attractively prepared. I highly recommend the starters – especially the soup which was always good and really hot.

The meals were adequate – the portions looked somewhat small, but I wasn’t hungry when I’d eaten mine. The dessert choices were good. We did notice that diners on other tables got much larger portions of gateau than we were given!! Coffee following the evening meal was served next door to the dining room and was good.

I booked an alarm call every morning and I could rely on it being made. It was a staff member actually speaking to me – so I had to get out of bed to answer it. A good way to start the day! The staff were all great. In the dining room we had Ashley, James and Lindsay. They worked hard, delivered what was wanted, took time to be friendly and brought anything that was needed or just wanted!! They were great. Kath – who had come to the coach to welcome us to the hotel – was always busy and did, at times, seem rather stressed. She really has a superb staff and can trust them to deal with any contingency. I have never in any hotel known such a brilliant level of service which was also friendly and relaxed.

Dinner is at 6pm every night – and that means 6. Sorry Kath that some of our group misunderstood that!

Simon served in the bar in the evenings and he was great. Again, nothing was too much trouble, nothing fazed him and he was always cheerful and chatty. (Loved the hair!!)

There was entertainment on two evenings. Lee Michaels sang for us on Tuesday night. He was really good and matched his choice of songs to his audience. People were sorry when it was time for him to stop and he obliged with a few more songs. He was another really friendly person.

The Thursday night entertainer was Nicole and she had a wonderful voice which was a pleasure to listen to no matter the style of song. I was even more sorry when it was time for Nicole to stop. Both musicians were of a much better calibre than I’d expected. They helped their audience to bond together and, in so doing, made the holiday better.

What did I not like?? The shower was fixed – I prefer one that can be hand held but the water was always hot. The hangers were too wide for the wardrobe and caught on the door – but those are very minor problems.

The Blackpool tram stop was directly across the road to the hotel (the stop is ‘Cliffs’) and, if you have a bus pass, you can use it on that tram. I enjoyed travelling on it. There were buses covering the same route.

I really enjoyed staying at the Chequers Plaza. I didn’t find out the names of all the staff so – apologies to those who have not had a mention. It is NOT that you didn’t deserve a mention – you were all, without exception, excellent.

I definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Lower floors are warmer. The wifi in public places worked in my first floor room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank annt
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We booked 7 rooms & travelled up from Somerset for a 1 night stay, as we were attending an event, a stones through up the road. We arrived at 11.30am & asked if we could park up our cars, until we could check in later & were advised that the rooms were ready and we could check in. All the staff were extremely helpful & friendly, nothing was too much trouble. We had a room with a sea view which was a big bonus. Yes the room was a little tired but it was clean, warm & just what we needed. We will be back again next year. Really good value for money.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Excellent clean and tidy rooms, helpful, cheerful and friendly staff who are willing to do that little extra to ensure your stay is enjoyable. The breakfast and evening meal were hot well cooked and wholesome.
I unfortunately was unable to have fruit for breakfast as this was grapefruit, it would be advantageous to have fruit cocktail as well as other fruits, as grapefruit is known to react with certain medication, but overall well done and our groups intends to visit again soon.

Room Tip: Talk to the reception staff and stipulate your requirements
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We stayed here in mid January as part of a bargain coach trip. £99 per person for four nights DBB. Beat that, if you can!!!
To be honest the hotel was very good indeed for the price. Food was more than adequate. My wife had the tuna salad on two of the nights, and you wouldn't get a better salad in a five star hotel or restaurant. Also the fish bake is highly recommended!!!!
Rooms very spacious and comfortable. The bathrooms look like they have been recently upgraded. A bit of a problem with hot water on one of the days. and the rooms got a bit stuffy over night. But they were the only gripes.
Staff very friendly and always trying to help.
Within a tram ride of all the amenities. (Tram stop opposite hotel). Or a 30 minute walk, if you fancy the exercise.
Definitely recommend the Chequers Plaza if staying in the Blackpool area.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael H
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived in Blackpool, for the money we paid I wasn't sure what to expect, it was dark when we arrived. In the morning I awoke to see we were right on the sea front on the Queens Promenade (North Side of the Town). We received a friendly welcome, the room was clean and well presented, nice bathroom (didn't go much on the light sensor switching off when I was on the loo!!) Over the bath there was a great power shower, sadly however on our last night there was no hot water or in the morning. The food was really nice and of good quality and the staff were very friendly nothing was to much trouble. I would go back again!!

Room Tip: We had a large family room to ourselves (probably because it is low season) consisting of one double and two single beds, our room number was 207
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple