“Pleasantly surprised”

and 1 more site!
Chequers Plaza Hotel Blackpool
Ranked #53 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I had booked 2 nights bed and breakfast at the Chequers Plaza and arrived quite late on Saturday. The hotel seems to be popular with coach trips and was very busy both days I was there. The reception, dining area and bar are all very neat tidy and clean. The stairwells are in need of a bit of updating and not too welcoming but once I got up to my single room it was a lot better. Room was again neat tidy and clean and nice and warm. Breakfast on both days was nice and just enough. Personally I thought the staff worked their socks off to keep everyone happy. For the price I paid I thought this was excellent value and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Sea view means traffic noise at night. Non sea view mean peace and quiet
2  Thank Billy C

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed at this hotel for the night on the way to Windermere with travelstyletours it was such a friendly hotel on the north shore with a tram stop right by it I had a single room on the 3rd floor which although small was nicely presented with a new shower room the downside was the bed which wa so old the springs could be felt thro the cover of the mattress. Having send that the food was good and the staff work really hard to make your stay a good one the evening entertainment was great we had a party with the other people with the other coach party that how friendly this hotel was would I stay here again yes I would

Room Tip: The rooms on 3rd floor very quiet and there is a lift
1  Thank Cynthia G
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Arrived at this hotel for a weekend coach trip with Just Go. Hotel staff came on board to welcome us and talk us through check-in however us at the back of the bus could not hear. Check in a bit dis-organised as too many people in the area and not enough room to get past with your suitcases.

Rooms clean and presentable and beds made each day, a little cleaning done but no hoovering or dusting. Beds where basic and springs could be felt on the mattress when laying down.

We had no or little hot water and the shower was cold when ran. We couldn't use the bath as you could only run the water through the high level shower hose so by the time the water got to the bath it was cold. Showers where better mid afternoon before anyone used them!!!!

You are only issued two tea bags, and two coffees if you want any more you have to pay £1.00 for a top up of the same amount - so take your own. On one occasion we did not have our topped up so when we went to reception they told us we had to pay or wait for the room cleaners to come down for some more, when asked "dont you have any behind the desk" it was "Oh look what I have found"!!!!!

Dining Room was all set out lovely and clean, however once again staff where disorganized and a bit of training wouldn't go a miss. Some where young and in experienced. They where here there and everywhere going to tables as and when either end of the dining room rather than being sectioned off to dealing with tables in an area per waiter or waitress. Long waiting times for staff to bring things and often forgotten about. Evening meal had to be pre-ordered before 3.00pm some times we had to make our choices straight after breakfast when you really didn't want to think about your evening meal.

Food was good, small portions but okay. If you where a "special favorable person(s)" you got more.

Overall hotel is nicely situated accessible to for trams and buses. Please do not take this feedback as negative criticism its more to the fact that on the whole our stay with okay for the price.

Room Tip: There is a lift which is small. However there are stairs to the entrance so if you have problems ac...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed at this hotel on Saturday 15th February, 2014 for 1 night. I e mailed the manager a week before requesting a sea view room, didnt get a reply so telephoned the night before we arrived and was assured my request would be met. Disappointment when we opened the bedroom door as were met with a view of a brick wall. I went down to see the manager, she apologised but couldnt do anything for us as the hotel was full. Despite this disappointment the room was ok, just glad we were only going to spend a very short period of time in it.
The next disappointment was the evening meal, this I am sorry to report resembled hospital food, very small portions, limited choice and quite tasteless.
With regard to staffing, I could not fault them, they worked very hard and were very friendly.

Room Tip: Don't bank on any special request being fulfilled.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Penny T
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed at this hotel for one night only. Booked a trip to Todmorden and Windermere with a one night stay at a hotel that was not named or its location revealed until we arrived. To our delight it was Blackpool. Coach pulled up on the front at the Chequers Plaza Hotel. We checked in and ordered our main course for the evening meal. The room was clean and warm. Bathroom was also clean. Staff were polite and friendly. The entertainment was very good, Nicole was very entertaining getting all the guests involved in the proceedings, a very enjoyable evening
Pete, Chris, Pauline and Alan.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alan t
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights. with the choice of hotels in Blackpool I would not return here to stay, they have a lot of work to do to bring it up to a better standard.
Warm room, partial sea view, food on the whole was ample and good, (apart from the egg mayonnaise starter which was grated rather than served in two halves) some nights we had to wait a while to be served. I don't eat breakfast, but on one occasion I did have wholemeal toast which was thick and excellent. There were 3 of us ladies seated at a table that was actually a small stage so we were elevated from the rest of the diners, we did not like that as we felt we were on show. Special thank you to Lindsey, this fantastic waitress is worth her weight in gold.
Sachets of coffee/tea in rooms were limited to 2 of each per day, not good, as I stay in my room at night after being out all day, to have them replenished you had to pay £1.50 a pack, I did mention this to Linda and was given extra for free. I have never had this limitation before on drinks in a hotel.The new Manageress Linda is bright and helpful, and I am sure will do her best to bring the hotel up to a better standard, in time.The staff are very hardworking and helpful.
My single room had a bed TV desk and chair, I asked for an easy chair to watch TV as the two pillows were very flat and no good to prop yourself up on to watch the TV. It never arrived so I took one from the floor above corridor and had to lug it down a flight of steps. Cleaning each day of my room was very poor on the whole. None of the tops were wiped over, window sills were all bitty, the mirror on the wardrobe was full of dust and in the bathroom the panels on the door were so full of dust and dirt, it made me quiver, there were no proper tops in the bathroom to put my toiletries out so I had to put some of them on top of the toilet system and this was never cleaned as my powder eye shadow was still there each day after the cleaners had been in.
I did sleep very well, while I was here.
I wish Linda and the staff all the very best in the future, they are all very nice hardworking people.

Room Tip: Take extra coffee.
1  Thank christine b
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

Was lovely hotel, staff were lovely, was raining one night so staff said we could order In a takeaway to the hotel and they brought us plates and cutlery, was very comfy and quiet apart from the sound of the loud wind but that was expected with it being on the seafront, comfy bed and big and clean room, was a very pleasant stay we shall be coming back in the near future :)

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple