“Won't be staying here again.”
Review of The Cliffs Hotel

The Cliffs Hotel
Ranked #22 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I had my wedding reception here at The Cliffs just a small intmate wedding with family and friends. Booked an afternoon wedding lunch for a few people just until the reception, it was supposed to be deep fried haddock chips and peas, it was dried up breaded fish of unknown origin dried chips and peas all served seperately. We then had to wait for the tarter sauce to be served tried serving ourselves this and got told off, then had to wait for the condiments, so by this time the chips were cold fish barely eatable peas could have been used as pellets. We couldn't get anyone to serve drinks as this had not been ordered when booking it, we had to go into another room the cafe bar to get drinks until the bar opened for our reception. The evening went well, the buffet excellent, only that the bubbly that was paid for never arrived when we asked about this we were told it had been forgotten and along came the sparkling rose wine not bubbly. The catering manager insulted us when he said that my wedding cake would not cut into 40 which is how many guest were there. He did come back and stated that there was some left over.The morning after I asked for a full english with the bacon to be well done as the morning previous it was barely cooked, it came burnt black uneadible. I reported all this to the manageress who appologised profusely and said the chef would be mortified the excuses were given and were well rehearsed as though this wasn't the first time this had happened then said she would give us a bottle of bubbly as recompense but also told us she had altered the bubbly to rose wine as this was dearer.(don't think so. Rose £17 per bottle bubbly £27).We were told they didn't usually cater for small weddings, well if you can't deal with 40 god help a possible 140 guest.Then we went into dinner I could not believe my eyes, roast beef dinner, 2 small slices of processed roast beef soggy roast potatoes and soggy yorkshire pudding eugh! when I called for the waiter for my sweet he proceeded to tell me that I should allow my main course to digest before having a sweet. Instead of staying another night which is what I had paid for we left I could not have stayed another night.I can honestly say no they didn't ruin my wedding I married a lovely man, but the food left a lot to be desired.

Room Tip: corner suites are larger but sea view rooms are noisy if windows are open due to traffic also no a/c...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
ChoiceHotelsltd, Guest Relations Manager at The Cliffs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

Dear evenfrank

I read your review with dismay and feel that the content needs to be discussed further. I have arranged for one of the managers at the hotel to contact you directly.

Yours sincerely

Sally Carpenito

Reviewed 24 August 2012

Spending a couple of days in Blackpool with my 10 year old daughter,I chose the cliffs because of the child friendly activities, although the activities were reasonable it is plainly a hotel for the older holidaymaker with an old fashioned feel to it the majority of gusets being OAPs. Although clean enough the twin room we were in was very small and the bathroom tiny and old fashioned. We decided to eat in the resteurant on our first evening rather than take a ride to town, the price of £17.50 adult and £8.50 child was exorbitant, and the food in no way reflected the price. The breakfast was awful the worst i have had anywhere qulality of the foof should have been a lot better considering how much we were paying and the service seemedruched and at times chaotic, so bad we just opted for cerial and toast on the second morning.I expected much better for such a large hotel. The parking was also problem only street parking available even though I arrived in good time.

2  Thank Ian W
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We stayed in your Cliffs hotel in Blackpool on Wednesday 15th Aug. 2012 and we were totally disgusted by the whole experience!!!!
Even though we were on the second floor, in a family room, with our six year old child, the noise was terrible both from the disco until 10pm, then the cabaret act and subsequent disco to the end after 12pm.
We complained twice to reception even asking for the manager to visit our room to hear the noise which he/she DID NOT DO.
Both duvets on the kids bunk beds were dirty and one had what looked like blood on it !!!
There was a stain on the bathroom wall which we can only imagine what it was, but looked like excrement!!!
We complained again in the morning and although we were given the fee we paid for our child ( £20 )back feel totally sick by the whole experience.
As you can guess we will not be back or be recommending you or your group to any of our friends and family!!!
On a whole the car parking is a nightmare, the rooms are rotten, the decor is rubbish, the food is cheap, fast food which they shove under your nose and then stand waiting for you to finish to take it away and then return with your next course in seconds which is ready made and waiting for gods knows how long before its served to you!!!
This hotel is not worth looking at if you want to enjoy your stay at Blackpool.

Room Tip: Do not even consider staying here!!!
6  Thank stephen_mcneil

Dear Mr McNeil

In response to your review I have contacted the duty managers at the Cliffs Hotel and asked for their comments. They assure me that the sound levels on the second floor near your bedroom were checked twice and that the speakers at the side of the entertainment room under your bedroom were turned off. The entertainment was no louder than usual and was enjoyed by nearly 300 guests.

The Cliffs Hotel has many positive reviews and letters of compliment about the facilities and services offered. The high percentage of repeat business is testament to that.

We are sorry that we did not meet with your expectations on this occasion.

Yours sincerely

Sally Carpenito

Reviewed 21 August 2012

We stay at the cliffs because the children have a great time as do the adults, there were 2 familys in our group 9 of us all together
the rooms are comfy and clean,
we parked up on sunday (day 1) and didnt move our car untill we were departing on Friday(day6) because you will lose your parking space but got on the tram and purchased a day ticket, (you could also buy a weekly one)
My only issue is the price of the alcohol!!
At evening meal you are shown to your seat in the dinning room where you will sit for the rest of your holiday. Our waiter was a young gentleman called Andy he was superb!! got all our meals correct nothing was to much trouble for him.The food is Excellent!
we will be back as soon as we have time off work!!
Thanks cliffs and Thanks again Andy (the Waiter)

1  Thank doris054
Reviewed 20 August 2012

we booked a family room for 2 adults and 1 child for £90 which included breakfast, for a 1 night stay on the 15th August 2012. we arrived just after 2pm which is the earliest booking in time and wasn't able to park on the hotel car park as it was full, the car park i thought was too small for such a large hotel. when we got to reception we were booked in quickly and given our room key 126 and hotel card. our room took a bit of finding as wasn't clearly directed we found room 127 then nothing we had to ask a member of the cleaning staff where 126 was. The room was large with 1 double and 2 single beds, simple décor and tea and coffee making facilities I was a bit disappointed with the TV as it was small and old looking the type you get in smaller B&B's, the bathroom was roomy and clean generally we were happy with the room. As the weather that afternoon was not so great my daughter and I decided to use the indoor pool, which was a bit on the small size and started to get filled up quickly so you couldn't do much actual swimming. Also there was a small gym,small sauna and a hot tub, some of the ceiling tiles were broken also some workmen were doing some plastering around a door frame. Around 6pm we decided that we would get something to eat so went to the cafe/bar but were told that food was not served after 5pm, we ordered some drinks but were not able to pay by card at the bar the barman filled in some drinks receipts and he had to take us to reception to pay. The hotel is approximately a 15 minute walk to the north pier of Blackpool so you are not bothered by stag and hen parties. We decided to see the entertainment which is put on at night which consisted of a singer & 2 dancers, followed by a game of bingo followed by a comedian then a disco to finish, which was around 12am. We went down for breakfast the next morning and there was a good selection of cereals and the cooked breakfast was just enough and served quickly. Booking out time was 10am which we thought was a bit early as it meant we had to rush about to get everything packed away. On the whole we were happy with the hotel although some parts look as though it could do with some updating and refurbishing but with a hotel the size of the Cliffs that will take time and money.

1  Thank davidpollard
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Just returned from a 4 night stay, I found all of the staff very courteous and efficient, the choice of food was excellent, a good variation of meals, with waiter service. Room 310 was a little smaller than I would have liked but cleaned to a good standard, towels changed every day if required. Evening entertainment is provided for children and later cabaret for adults, all credit to the comics who limited their language due to children being in the room. If you don't like children running around go during school terms. We reported an issue with an unruly guest outside our room, within minutes 5 security people had responded, so feel secure at this Hotel.
The car park is small for the size of the Hotel, just front and sides, overflow parking, any of the side streets, however,once parked up the tram and bus stops are outside the hotel taking you to south Blackpool and north to Fleetwood. I do recommend buying from reception the 3 day tram/bus pass for £10 unlimited travel this is very useful. My wife and I will return to this hotel and it's friendly staff.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank johnclive021
Reviewed 18 August 2012

just returned from a four night stay to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary,what a good choice we made.The day before our arrival we were phoned by the hotel to ask if we could manage a step up into the bathroom as we had requested a room on a low floor near the lift due to mobility problems,if not they would allocate us another room,at last a hotel that listens and tries to accomodate customers wishes.Good start,but even better on arrival,efficiently booked in,given simple info like where the bars,entertainment,pool and dining area were,then if we would like to pop into the dining room the Maitre d would show us our table for our stay.Our room [111] was on the first floor right opposite the lift,better than requested.The cafe bar was ratherexpensive but the quality of the food was top rate and the staff were polite and had time to stop for a bit of a joke.The entertainment room had a good feel about it and the acts were top class.I heard some complaining at the price of drinks,but you had top quality acts to enjoy,your alternative,a trip into Blackpool and admission fees etc plu your drinks,roundabouts and swings.frankly we prefered the safe environment of the hotel.Now to the dining room,what a joyful experience,the quality,quantity and presentation was superb and if you were lucky enough to have [ John Norman ] the best waiter we have ever come across,everything was served professionaly and with a smile and sometimes a little light hearted chit chat.Every aspect of the hotel itself was more 4 than 2 star,every member of staff treated us so efficiently and friendly it made our stay a memorable one.just two things we thought could be
an improvement.Firstly as car parking is at a premium nobody likes to take the car out for fear oflosing your parking space and with the bus and tram stop being right outside the front door a bus/tram timetable and amap of the attractions in the area put in all the rooms would be brilliant,I know they are available at reception but not everyone is aware of that.Secondly it would be nice if all children were asked to leave entertainment room before the comedian comes on so that the comedian can relax and not have to worry about upsetting anyone and the adults can hear the jokes without chattering children.thanks again for making our anniversary break so very enjoyable.graham and sheila jenkins

Room Tip: rooms at front have sea view
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple