“Great value stay with a very warm welcome”
Review of Alfies Hotel

Alfies Hotel
Ranked #732 of 853 Blackpool B&B and Inns
Sheffield
“Great value stay with a very warm welcome”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My Mum & I booked a midweek 3night stay at Alfies through Groupon for £69 to include an afternoon tea & bottle of wine. We didn't expect it to be much given the cost & was pleasantly surprised... We arrived & was allowed into our room early; albeit on the second floor (room17) so a lot of stairs for mum but it was a twin room as we had booked. We were offered a 3 course meal each instead of the afternoon tea if we wanted which we welcomed as this meant not to be back to have the afternoon tea; though we could have had the afternoon tea if we wished. This was very flexible of the hotel to offer & much appreciated. Our room was small but spotlessly clean. Housekeeping is not offered, so we had to make our own beds etc & ask for provisions. It wasn't an issue though no hair dryer & remote control was irritating. The meal was home made grub (mushroom soup/Roast Chicken meal/ cream sponge) & pleasant with the wine which we could choose white red rose or sparkling!! Alfies is positioned 5 mins walk to the prom but on a quiet backstreet with parking at the rear. Buses are available on Lytham Road 1 min walk away in & out of Blackpool & to Lytham & St Annes which we enjoyed very much. Alfies are a family business where the owner affords a warm welcome & daughter in law is very affable. The bar is well stocked ( we didn't use it but a bonus for those that wants it) finally the breakfast is all you could wish for with fruit cereals baked goods & a superb cooked breakfast. All in all if you want a nice little break at the seaside then book Alfies. Thank you to the team at Alfies

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room if possible
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Chocca94

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Hamilton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I'd agree with other reviewers, the guy who seems to run the place is obliging enough I think. But seems overwhelmed with tasks. Towels were smelly when we got there - used our own. Not changed once. Beds never changed. The odour from the towels is probably why we didn't notice the pizza box and mouldy pizza under the bed until we were packing to leave. Shower didn't drain properly - like standing in a bird bath. Food? Sausages seemed to get slightly bigger each day, from microscopic to almost a sausage. Breakfast was otherwise ok, and the guy did a decent pot of coffee. Noticed the uncovered bowl of croissants seemed to just sit there day after day. Yum!

Alfie is apparently the name of a former resident parrot. No wonder he left! I suppose if all you want is a place to crash, it's in a good location, and the guy that runs it seems nice enough, but don't have high expectations!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We got a small room with one double and one single beds. There was a tv but without any remote. So no point in it. Water in the shower was not going away. You have only 2 minutes to take a shower after that you need to wait 20 minutes until water goes away. Even after room cleaning shelfs in the bathroom where Dusty. In the breakfast we found a hair. I do not understand how they are not bankrupt with such service.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Aleksandrs R
Carluke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed at Alfies from Mon to Thurs, and nothing was to much trouble for them. They moved me and my partner into room 1 on ground floor, so I wouldn,t have to climb the stairs, as I use a walking stick. It was a big family room, so plenty of space and a huge bathroom with a bath and separate shower. The breakfast was good and i'm a very fussy eater, but I enjoyed it, and it was always warm. We had a chicken dinner one nite, no complaints, it was lovely. Plus a bottle of wine, which was chilled. We got the deal through kgb deals, so worth it for what we got. Vic and his wife Joe were always very pleasent, and they seem to be up grading things. So yes I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Room 1 on ground floor, especially for big families as it can sleep up to 9 folk.
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I don't know where to start....I did not have great expectations of a B+B in Blackpool on a deal from Groupon, but OMG!!! If you read Alfie's web page what they claim is amazing, what you get is filth, grot and odd smells.
Firstly the bottle of wine that was part of the deal never materialized, the guy who opened the door to us when we arrived did not introduce himself so I can not say who he was but as for the reviews of smiley happy people! quite the opposite. Car park for guests, a tiny back yard! after parking car we were shown to room 12. My worst nightmare! double and two single beds squashed into a room that at a push could handle one or the other. There was just myself and my husband I got the impression that as we were on a deal we had been put in the grottiest room available. None of the bedding matched not only the room but each bed. Brown covers with blue pillow slips purple curtains.(i say curtains more like viol that kept no light out at all and didn't open fully) Maybe they hope for the filth on the windows to keep the light out?? the bedding was clean that's about the only plus. The box which held a shower/toilet and sink, filthy, shower falling off wall tap on sink loose and as for providing soap? sachets of shower gel but no soap for sink, and mismatched towels, Hairs on floor and shower tray.
The hairdryer did not work and the T.V remote neither, the safe not very safe as battery cover off so could have been tampered with anyway, but as the host said they do not come into the rooms, (so much for the claim on web site of rooms freshened on daily basis). As room so small we pushed the single beds together, mistake, food under bed ill fitted laminate flooring coffee stains, just more filth to have me wanting to run for the hills. The constant noise of the pigeons that appear to live on the roof outside and some strange humming machine on and off, does not lead to a good nights sleep!
Breakfast was ok, we asked for coffee, got tea? The same man who let us in was the same man serving breakfast, did not look very organised at all, Breakfast served between 9 and 10. The second morning we did not stay as kinda loose appetite when hearded like cattle made to wait outside dinning room till 9 on the dot and as it appeared every other guest was down at the same time breakfast would have taken along time to reach us,
I did not complain to the unknown man as he did not look very approachable and I kept telling myself "you are in a B+B in Blackpool". Only there to visit a relative only reason stayed the 2 nights, if it wasn't for this I would have walked out 5 mins after arriving. Just writing this review is bringing it all back, bringing me out in a cold sweat!! NEVER again!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't bother!!!!
3 Thank lynn642005
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights using a Groupon deal. We were put in a family room which was a decent size and nice and clean. We were given a nice breakfast every morning and staff were very welcoming and pleasant. Got what we paid for and had a great long weekend. Would stay at Alfies hotel again!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank claire m
Chesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

To be fair, my wife and I were not expecting The Savoy, not for under £60 including B&B, evening meal and a bottle of plonk, but we did expect somewhere clean, pleasant and fit-for-purpose.

Now, we are aware that when you are on a special deal, you are usually not put in the best room of the house, but our room was dreadful. To call it a double was really exaggerating to the point of farce! It wasn't a double before they decided (some years ago, by the state of the fittings) what they describe as an "en suite shower room", so certainly want afterwards. It did indeed have a shower, and a toilet, but, if my wife and I were not slim and fit (we are both distance runners in our spare time) we would not have been able to negotiate the clashing doors and lavatory bowl!

The "double" bed had not stood up to its many years of stag weekend usage and marks on the sheets were disturbing. Fortunately, they had installed a flat screen television (saved by modern technology), because an old-style tv would never have fitted in the space. Oh, and the remote control didn't work, so the only way to power up the tv was to take it off its wall bracket and fiddle with the knobs until we got a result.

True, there are not too many spectacular views in Blackpool South Shore, but the one from our window was breathtaking! A brick wall four metres away and in the space between, rusting scaffolding covered in seagull droppings! Smelly, too!

Now to the meals! Once again, expectations were not high, but even so, the evening meal, for which no choice of menu was offered, was reminiscent of a rather poor school dinner! It was edible, but not good. The bottle of wine was, at least, branded - the cheap £4.99 type from the supermarket, but it was palatable and useful for washing down the over-cooked vegetables.

And finally, breakfast. Well, actually, this was not at all bad. A full English and reasonably well cooked. Black pudding would have been nice, but hey! The bacon was delicious, but oh dear, the sausage! Why, oh why spoil the last, potentially redeeming impressions with the cheapest, nastiest sausage ever! An extra 25p to upgrade from Tesco's Value (or whatever they call it now) to a mid-range "Finest" might just have saved the day. But alas. We won't be staying again!