“Excellent bed and breakfast”
Review of Windsor House

Windsor House
Ranked #54 of 859 Blackpool B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 December 2013

My mother and I stayed here and we received nothing but great service from Paul. The room was very clean, the bed very comfortable and the cooked breakfast was to die for! Located in an excellent position near the beach and shops. Will always recommend this b&b and look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Emily R
There are newer reviews for Windsor House

Reviewed 16 November 2013

What can I say? Windsor House sands as the most attractive hotel in Blackpool. Not to mention excellent service from the staff and the manager. I've enjoyed my stay everytime I have visited. I love the interior design of the house, amazingly established and I only hope the owner gets the credit he deserves because I recommend Windsor House by 1000% to anyone who visits Blackpool looking for accommodation. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Darryl-Jason
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

I've stayed a few times here now with another one booked for next year. The hotel is lovely and clean. Room 5 is a single and has plenty of room. And the en-suite shower stays hot! Bed really comfy! I didn't make use of the tea/coffee as I don't like them but there was plenty there. The breakfast is great. And if you want something different to the usual big breakfast, just leave a note the night before in the hall. Paul is a very attentive host-nothing is too much trouble. And he is such a lovely guy!!! Extremely good value for money and brilliant location for the town.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank markgriff69
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Having not been to Blackpool for 20 years we didnt quite know where to go and where to stay. After being recommended by my boss we were not dissappointed. Met by Paul the owner we were made to feel welcome. He upgraded us to the premier room were I enjoyed sitting in the window people watching. Absolutely spotless and so comfortable. Nothing was too much trouble, kind and couertous and Jessie the dog so lovely. It is so close to everything but very quiet when you need to sleep. The decor is so lovely and feels like it has a heart and soul in the Hotel. My best friend and I will be there next year. Carnt wait.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank liz b
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I stayed at the Windsor House Hotel some years ago and decided to visit again. The experienced was greatly improved (If you can improve on perfection!). The room rates are far too cheap for the quality of service and the quality of food you receive.
The room was very clean, with fresh linen and ample amounts of Coffee and Tea for the room. The owner, Paul, was friendly, polite and understood the term "Customer Service". The overall quality of service and the breakfast, has made us book a further weekend away at the Windsor House Hotel.
If all Guest Houses / Hotels were like this, then Blackpool wouldnt be on its a*se.

Room Tip: Well worth paying for the Premier Rooms
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Warren L
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed at Windsor House on the 1st & 2nd Nov 2013.The overall facilities & cleanliness of the room was good, if fact we were quite enjoying our stay there, that was until breakfast on the Sunday morning came.
I sat down to breakfast at 9.30. Several people came into the dining room after us. My order was taken, I asked for scrambled eggs & bacon instead of the full breakfast as it was too big for me. I said that if it was a problem I would have the full english. (as any different B/F apart from full english had to written & handed in the night before)
After she rolled her eyes at me, the waitress proceeded to go into the kitchen with the order. a couple of seconds later I heard the owner loudly protesting about not changing the order the previous night. If there was a problem all they had to do is say sorry but it is not possible to change. As it was, We waited an hour to be served, then to our horror & disappointment, all the people who came in after us were served their B/F before us. When my fiance protested about other people being served before us & that we had waited an hour so far, the waitress said with a hostile attitude "oh yeah, like who?"
I then pointed to all the people who were eating & had come in after us. She went back into the kitchen area & told the owner who immediately stormed over to me and snapped at me that "the reason I have waited an hour is because I had asked for scrambled eggs instead of full B/F"
We stood up & and left the dining room, packed our bags & immediately checked out.
We had a lovely time in Blackpool, unfortunately, being snapped at & spoken to in the hostile way we were, I wouldn't recommend staying there to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank trudi f
WindsorHouse, Owner at Windsor House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Despite the poor rating, thank you for acknowledging some aspects of your stay with us were good. I am disappointed that your experience at breakfast on Sunday has spoilt your stay with us and led to this poor review. Of course there are always two sides to any story.

The hotel does indeed have a policy of asking guests to complete an alternative breakfast form the night before breakfast if you do not want a full English. We do this to minimise food wastage and so I know how many non-standard breakfasts to prepare before we open. I hope you now see why that is necessary. There were no problems with your wait time for breakfast on Saturday. You said you heard me complain to the waitress about being asked to change your order last minute. This is true as you acknowledge this should have been handed in the night before. When 26 guests all come down for breakfast at the same time, most people are capable of appreciating how challenging this is for two members of staff. As you heard my conversation with the waitress you doubtless heard me tell the waitress to tell you that I had several other requests for scrambled egg already pre-ordered and I would do them all in one batch. This is why other guests got their breakfasts before you did. I don’t think that was unreasonable and I thought you understood this. Most places would have simply refused to accept the change and in hindsight, I wish I had.

Fortunately for us, we have CCTV in all public areas of the hotel including outside in the garden area. This has enabled me to review what happened as the allegation that you were spoken to rudely concerned me most. You claim you both waited an hour for breakfast. In the footage you complained it was 40 minutes. Your partner didn't join you for 20 of those minutes as he came down later. You say the waitress was hostile when in fact she was very apologetic and certainly didn't “roll her eyes” and say “oh yeah, like who?”. I actually heard her apologising to you about the delay. Just as you can hear me in the kitchen, I can also hear what is going on in the dining room. I was concerned and that prompted me to walk over to your table to offer an explanation and to let you know your breakfast was actually just being prepared. I never “stormed” over to your table and I certainly didn't “snap” at you.

We have another review from a guest who stayed the same weekend as you and his experience (like so many others) is so different. With 155 excellent reviews plus various awards, we take customer service seriously. In many respects I’m fortunate in that in 9 years of owning Windsor House, I have never come across anything like this. Such a pity and all so unnecessary. All that was required was a little patience on your part. You could see just how busy we were. I went out of my way to accommodate your request when I could so easily have refused. It is a shame you didn't feel able to afford us the same consideration and been a little more understanding.

Thank you for your feedback. Our aim is to please all our customers and we take pride that most of our customers are happy to return. It was never our intention to cause any offence and we are truly disappointed you won’t be returning to us in the future. I hope this misunderstanding won’t put you off returning to Blackpool.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Had an amazing welcome from Paul the manager. Had room 8. Clean. Bright airy. And very comfortable big bed , breakfast was very nice. Proper. Bacon. And sausages. New staff. We're also friendly. I will pay Paul another visit. Next time I'm in the area for sure. And the. Rate. Was excellent. He could charge more for the rooms etc. but. Paul is very honest and you can see that he is passionate about his hotel. If you're staying in Blackpool. This hotel should be 1 st on your list to stay , Will be back

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends