“Never again, booked out after one day, no refund given.”
Review of The Bedford Hotel

The Bedford Hotel
Ranked #158 of 863 Blackpool B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 July 2010

From The minute I walked in the front door I felt dissapointed. The hotel looked and was shabby, an old suite beside a billiard table was the only seating in 'the lounge' I wasn't there long enough to use the shower, not clean anyway. I met the receptionist on leaving, he was polite and explained he could not give me a refund after only one nights stay, I was booked for 4 nights. Brochure is certainly false and deceiving, I won't be returning.
MRS DONALD, SCOTLAND.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank brenz19
BedfordBlackpool, Manager at The Bedford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2010

I am astonished and can not believe this guests comment! And it is me that feels truly disappointed!! As I was the polite receptionist on duty that afternoon!

Our Top lounge has 5 Chesterfield Suites and 5 Chesterfield Armchairs in, which are recovered and repaired yearly! We also have the Lounge Bar downstairs, were entertainment is on nightly basis, which I might add holds in excess of a 100 people.

The Guest booked 4 nights Dinner Bed & Breakfast, with no single supplement and after had been given a sea view double bedded room at no extra charge, and at a total cost of £99.00! This guest only came to myself at 2.00pm informing me she wished to check out early due to personnel reasons, I informed her I could only refund half the £99.00 for the 2 unused days, the guests informed me that I needn’t refund anything as it was her personnel reasons for the early checkout. I insisted that I refund the 2 unused days, she asked could I transfer it across as a deposit to her booking with her family for February 2011, which I was happy to do for her.

I then proceeded to spend the next 2 hours on the telephone to the Train company arranging a free ticket change for the guest, as she had booked a specific return train and initially they wanted a complete cancellation and rebook of her ticket for the train. During those 2 hours I and another single travelling guest discussed with the guest her reasons for departing early, I will not discuss these facts over this site, but can assure anyone the reasons given to myself and the other guest have not been mentioned, had the guests family not been in Cyprus and her sister been able to travel with her, these comments would have been completely different.

I have now cancelled the February 2011 booking and forwarded a cheque for the £49.50, which is the 2 unused day’s refund I transferred as deposit for the guest on next years booking. As I have gone through a similar personnel situation, I am appalled at this guest!!

Reviewed 18 July 2010

we were booked into the queens hotel for a nice weekend break with our family. which due to a fire at the queens we were allocated another hotel i.e the BEDFORD when we arrived we were greeted on the reception by a guy on the phone with his back to us . asked if we could see the rooms what an effort .. not helpful not clean rubbish everywhere even at half the price we would not stay there.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank marigold064

I am sorry the guests did not even stay 1 night with us or at least gave us a chance to make their stay enjoyable, but as the rest of the couples family were staying at a hotel behind the Queens, I am not surprised they chose to immediately check into another hotel at the South End of the Town, very near the Queens Hotel, (might I add they did this without seeing any of our bedrooms or anything besides our hotels front door!)

As I was not on duty at the time, but after watching the receptions CCTV of the guest’s arrival, I am 100% confident that the member of staff at reception was polite and extremely courteous, this was just a case of the guest wanting to be at the south end of the town and specifically at the Queens, which as they are regular guests there, and that they didn’t believe us in our statement of fire damage.

As for the comments about rubbish I find this and this guest extremely rude! I would never consider departing guest’s luggage as rubbish!

I know that the real and only problem was we are the North Promenade and the guests wanted to be the opposite end of the town , which is also were their family where staying! If we had it would have been a completely different comment!!

Reviewed 17 July 2010

The staff were fine. Check-in fine. The lift holds two people with small suitcases at a squeeze. Bedrooms very basic/sheets and pillowcases clean/duvet covers had cig. burns. Bathroom v. basic. Our room was on top floor and at peak times you ran the risk of water going off and getting scalded under the shower when it came back on. Brochure promised "first class food"and the picture shows the dining tables well spaced out/complete with table linen. The tables were devoid of linen and squashed very close together. Breakfast was ok but dinners were very basic- no "first class food" on offer. Veg was canned or frozen/ only fresh option being a salad. "Spicy seafood" starter one evening consisted of one canned sardine in tomato sauce on a lettuce leaf with a piece of tomato and spoonful of sweet chilli dipping sauce on the side! Food was very, very basic. No cooking skills obvious. Its just as well the 1st class cabaret advertised wasn't popular as the lounge was extremely small/ holding 20 guests at a push! The pool pictured in the brochure is actually v small. I wouldn't go back!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
BedfordBlackpool, Manager at The Bedford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

I am sorry to hear the guests did not enjoy their stay, we do try and make guests stay most enjoyable. Since the guests stay we have changed our linen suppliers, if something would have been mentioned by the guests I would have immediately changed their rooms or bedding.

We removed linen tablecloths in the restaurant in attempt to modernise and give the restaurant a more spacious feel, the tables are actual still in the same position as in the photograph. As for the comments regarding the food, we have endless praises and excellent remarks of how wonderful our food is and always receive countless praises for our chefs.

Cabaret is held downstairs in the bar which holds over 100 people, it is not held in the reception lounge on the ground floor. Once again I apologise to the guest that they did not enjoy their stay.

Reviewed 29 May 2010

Been going now for five years at least twice a year and wont stay anywhere else. Adrian and his merry band are so welcoming there is a comfort factor you just dont find very often these days.due again in july and december and looking forward to my stays

1  Thank bobgascoyne
BedfordBlackpool, Manager at The Bedford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2010

Thank you so much for your comments; we really do try our best, we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon, thank you.

Reviewed 24 May 2010

we went as a group of about 25 children and 20 adults on a football tournament weekend, the hotel was clean and tidy, food was lovely, nice to be waited on! the guy behind the bar was nice, they kept the pool open for longer than normal, which our children loved.

• Stayed: May 2010
1  Thank doris054

Thank you so much for your comments; keeping the swimming pool open longer helps keep the children happy which makes parents happier, anything we can do too make your stay more enjoyable. We are looking forward to welcoming you back next year, thank you once again.

Reviewed 7 May 2010

We recently spent eight weeks at the Bedford Hotel whilst awaiting the completion of a house purchase. Initially we were only intending to stay for two weeks and then move into an apartment, but we were so comfortable and considering all other costs involved in a rental, i.e. electricty, heating, laundry, etc, staying at the Bedford proved to be far better in terms of value for money and comfort ,with constant cosy warm surroundings - bedroom and public areas. This is a family run hotel and the friendliness of the owners,manager,housekeeping,catering and maintenance staff truly made us feel like part of the family. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your comments; I am pleased you chose to stay with us rather than move into an expensive short let apartment, and that enjoyed your stay. I am happy your house was finalised quickly, hope to see you again soon. Thank you.

Reviewed 17 April 2010

On arrival we had a very pleasant greeting from a gentleman called Ron, nothing seemed too much trouble. The room was very comfortable as were the beds, although we didn't spend much time in the room! The time we did spend actually in the hotel was mostly spent in either the swimming pool/sauna or in the bar with barman David, what a nice chap! The view from the lounge is stunning. What the hotel may lack compared with some of the more modern ... newer hotels, it certainly makes up for in friendliness and service! Oh yes breakfast was good too. Thank you again to all the staff for making it a most enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank colnequeen

Thank you so much for your kind comments, I will pass your comments onto Ron & David, thank you once again, we look forward to welcoming you back.