“YOU HAD TO LAUGH!!!!!”
Review of The Bedford Hotel

The Bedford Hotel
Ranked #138 of 859 Blackpool B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 September 2010

Just back from a Mon-Fri stay at the Bedford hotel in Blackpool. 6 of us travelled with Blackpool Promotions. When we arrived I was a bit dissappointed in the look of the hotel as it looked more oppulant in the brochure and this was the most expensive of all their listed hotels. 2 of us were "lucky" as we got a sea view, our friends overlooked the back kitchen area. It was advertised as having a swimming pool (the size of a garden pond, 2 strokes and you were at the end) a sauna which was permenantly cold as it had an extra charge to use it, and a "Spa" which we are still looking for!! Entrance to the hotel is by flights of 10 or so steps, no disabled access. Then you have to battle with the "lift" that is a story unto itself, it holds 2-3 people and has a wooden single door then a metal gate which was lethal and would almost decapitate you as you tried to hold it open. If you were unlucky enough to find that one of the wooden doors had not been shut properly then the lift didn't work!! Meals were something else, breakfast was passable but evening meals were a joke, so much so that we could almost guess what was the next evenings meal by the leftovers from the night before, i.e. stewed liver & onion next night french onion soup that tasted exactly like the gravy from night before. Minestrone which looked like it contained the diced veg from night before. We were all around 50 - 55yrs and we were by far the youngest in this hotel. It was a bit like a Saga holiday. We only paid £200 each and luckily we are the type of girls who could laugh at the state of things but some may not have found this funny. It actually became a joke as to who would have the roughest made bed by the end of week as sheets were never straightened and my friends bottom sheet was at the bottom of her bed by day 3 and was never fixed!! We did get clean towels every day though!! The hotel had a very friendly young man on reception, who used to work on cruiselines but other than that staff were a joke, especially the barman who would stand out the back either on his mobile or smoking and just ignore you, we had to ask for clean glasses so many times as they were always marked. Diningroom staff tried and spent a lot of time appologising for meals and asking if you would like something else. Blackpool promotions did provide us with Travel tickets which were a godsend as you got free travel on buses & trams. You had to go out of hotel in evenings as entertainment was dire! The hotel is old and very tired and a lick of paint would go a long way. What it does have going for it is that it is at the North end so away from all the husstle & noise but the buses and trams stop outside. Would we go there again yes probably as most of the write ups for Blackpool hotels say much the same and we did enjoy ourselves but I would NOT recommend this hotel to anybody else , just don't believe everything in the brochures as pictures do seem to lie! 9Perhaps the Spa was away on holiday!!) :-))))))

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
BedfordBlackpool, Manager at The Bedford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2012

I am sorry to hear the guests did not enjoy their stay; we do try and make guests stay most enjoyable, and if anything would have been mentioned I would have done my best to rectify any problems. I am pleased to hear that the guests WOULD stay with us again, even if I find that comment after your other comments quite strange! I am the very friendly man on reception and just wished you’d had mentioned your thoughts to myself, in any of the conversations we had in the lounge area. I don’t know how the hotel frontage looked more opulent in the brochure as it was I who took all the pictures on a normal digital camera. As you booked through a coach operator we cannot control the price you pay, I did give you all sea view twin rooms free of charge, but as 2 of the ladies wouldn’t swap after they checked in and another 2 didn’t want to be on separate floors, the only option I had was too move 2 of the ladies to a back facing twin room, but this was at your request to be on the same floor. The Swimming Pool is 15 meters long and is set to a temperature of 32oC, but as none of you used the leisure facilities I again cannot understand your comments, and as you informed myself you wished you’d brought some swimming costumes, if you had asked about the sauna I would have gladly put in on for any of you, but again as you didn’t bring any costumes you could not take advantage of the facilities. We do not advertise that we are a Health Spa or Leisure Club, perhaps the confusion was due to lack of understanding by the guest, or simply misread. We do not advertise disabled access and we clearly state there are 5 steps at the front of the hotel, and as none of you had any walking difficulties I cannot see how this was a problem for any of your party. As for the lift! The hotel is a Victorian building and we are restricted on the size, but it does do the job quite sufficiently, and it clearly states no more than 3 persons at a time. All our Chefs are trained to the highest of standards! If a guest is unhappy with any of our meals, staffs are more than happy to change it or serve one of our alternatives. Unfortunately the bedroom cleaners cannot service a bedroom if a guest decides to stay in their room all day, (guests can do this, but the normal day to day housekeeping cannot take place if a guest chooses to stay in). And final as for your Spa comment we do not advertise that we are a Health Spa or Leisure Club, perhaps the confusion was due to lack of understanding by the guest, or simply misread. I am pleased you found our location away from the hustle and noise to your liking. We feel the service; facilities and standard of accommodation we provide far exceed our pricing structure, especially when compared to other hotels within the local area. If the clients would like to ever return to the Bedford Hotel we will ensure their stay is too our highest of standards

There are newer reviews for The Bedford Hotel

Reviewed 2 September 2010

We moved to this hotel because the original hotel we stayed in (for one night) was so awful. This hotel was much better but like all hotels in Blackpool is old and dated. Having said that we found the rooms to be clean, the bed linen well laundered, the food lovely and the staff very helpful, especially Adrian on Reception and the young staff serving meals. We used the pool and sauna which were both very good. We had one night of bad sleep but that was due to very high winds and our room being on the top floor. Another downside is that there were definitely people 'secretly' smoking in their rooms which was worrying when you are sleeping on the third floor with only one escape route. Evening entertainment was good (karaoke, caberet).

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
BedfordBlackpool, Manager at The Bedford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2010

Thank you for your comments; I am pleased the guests found the entertainment, sauna and swimming pool very good, and that our rooms where clean, especially as you moved to us from another hotel. I will pass your comments onto the restaurant staff, and thank you.

Unfortunately the high winds are something we can not control, after all we are on a Sea Front, We are a No Smoking Hotel, and most of our guests respect this, unfortunately you do get the odd person, which we can only apologise for, had this been mentioned to us, we would have spoken to the guest in question. As for escape routes there are actual four on the third floor. Thank you once again

Reviewed 25 August 2010

I recently stayed here with my friends for a week in this hotel and what a great time we had. The staff are very friendly and the food was delicious!! The hotel is in excellent location for walking into Blackpool town centre, so my friends and i never had to bother with taxi's. The swimming pool, was very clean and the sauna was thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you to everyone for making our trip so enjoyable and will definitely be returning next year.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind comments, we try our best to make guests stay more enjoyable, I am pleased you used and enjoyed the swimming pool. We look forward to welcoming you back, thank you once again.

Reviewed 24 August 2010

Bring your own pillows because the Hotels are barely one inch thick.
Duvet covers are not to clean and quilt was badly stained.
Shower tray had serious black mould problems.
Food comes swimming in gravy.
Breakfast was passable.
Staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

I am pleased the guest found the staff friendly.

As for the other comments the guests wrote,
The Guest booked a Twin Bedded room and was given a Sea View Triple room, this containing 1 double and 1 single bed, thus having 6 pillows between the two beds, if they would have like more all they needed to do was ask, we cant fix anything if we don’t know, we have a store room full of extra pillows and would have gladly gave them as many as they wanted!

On arrival at the hotel the guest stripped the single duvet cover and requested a new cover and new duvet, this was due to a small tea stain on the duvet, not the cover as this had already been changed earlier! This wasn’t a problem as we keep new duvet and laundered covers in Housekeeping, I changed them both immediately myself, unpacking them in front of the guest.

As the guests asked me whilst in the room to show them how the shower worked, I double checked the tray and shower curtain whilst doing this and did not see one mark on either.

Our food does not get served swimming in gravy, and the lamb on a Wednesday certainly does not, if the guest felt there was too much and mentioned it to one of the waiters, they would have gladly changed it.

Unfortunately the Queens really did have a fire, and this is just a case of The Bedford Hotel being at the opposite end of the town.

I would like to thank the guest’s daughter for the telephone apology she gave.

Reviewed 14 August 2010

Just returned from a week at the Bedford,and found it excellent value for money.
We arrived very late at around 8pm and the staff were very friendly and offered us dinner,even although dinner usually finishes at 7pm.
We had booked 2 double rooms,both reasonably decorated and clean.
Free parking available.
The rooms were cleaned every day and clean towels given and supplies of tea and coffee topped up.
Food was lovely and a kids option available and good choices everyday,and reasonable drink prices too.
Staff were all extremely friendly and helpful and allowed us to book a daytrip online with no charge.
The entertainment was ok,with a different option each night eg karaoke,disco,singer,quiz night etc
Entertainment couldve been better,but then catered for all ages and families.
Pool and sauna excellent,ideal for families!
Hotel based in an quiet location and although near to the North Pier
not noisy at night,especially weekends.
Nearby newsagent and found a nice beauty salon just a 10 minute walk away for a relaxing massage!
Also went to Sandcastle and Legends show....both highly recommended and within walking distance from hotel,or a tram/taxi or bus if preferred.
Hotel also has a lounge area where groups can sit and play cards or use the pool table.
Overall enjoyed our stay and would definately return!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
BedfordBlackpool, Manager at The Bedford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2010

Thank you for your kind comments, I am pleased the guests enjoyed their stay at the Bedford and they found us great value for money. We really do try.
If there is anything we can do to help make a guests stay more enjoyable, we are only happy to be of assistance, shows and attractions are easy for us to book for guests, if we can help we will.
We look forward to welcoming you back and once again thank you very much for your comments.

Reviewed 10 August 2010

Was looking for a family friendly hotel with nightly entertainment as I have a 4 year old son so decided to book the Bedford. Check in time stated 2pm. Arrived at 2.15 and was told that room was not ready yet. As it happened, room was not ready until 3.45 - waste of the first day. First impression of the room was that it was spacious compared to the normal rooms of Blackpool hotels. As for the bathroom - shower hose was black with gunge and there was gunge round the taps. Beds had very thin mattress although they were clean. I enquired at the time of booking if the hotel had entertainment and was assured that there would be entertainment every night. On the Friday night singer arrived at 9pm to set up - it was looking good. He played from 9.30 til 10.30 and that was it. Saturday night was a guy with what sounded like a home karaoke system . I had actually seen this guy singing at a local karaoke bar on numerous occasions and thought surely that's not the entertainment buy hey ho - it sure was. Dire! Breakfast was pretty disorganised to. Was allocated a table on the first day but then it was a case of find a table without dirty dishes on it. Not a great hotel if you're looking for a bit of atmosphere at night. Better value elsewhere!

1  Thank mcwursty
BedfordBlackpool, Manager at The Bedford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

I am sorry to hear the guests did not enjoy their stay, we do try and make guests stay most enjoyable. The guest arrived at the hotel at 10.45am I informed them myself that they could leave their car at the hotel , check-in was from 2.00pm and to enjoy their day in Blackpool, as the hotel was extremely busy with checkouts, their rooms was not ready till 2.45pm, I apologise for this but it is a from time and is used as a guideline, guests come to enjoy Blackpool and not just sit in the bedroom all day, the hotels Lounges and Swimming Pool were all open, so I really can’t see how a delay of 45 minutes ruined their first day.

We never assure a guest that we provide nightly entertainment we inform them that the hotel provides entertainment at least 5 out of 7 nights, on that Friday we actual had two artist on, the first singer performed 8.15 till 9.15 and the second singer performed 9.30 to 10.30. after that we had backing music played till midnight, we are not a nightclub and have to be considerate to nearby hotels and have consideration for other guests. The Saturday night entertainer is a local Blackpool artist and does perform at other local venues and hotels. Blackpool has countless nightclub for late night drinking and unfortunately we do not provide a child minding service even if you 4 year old was asleep on a chair from 10.00pm

The sign at the entrance of the hotel’s restaurant clearly states please wait to be seated, we cannot stop guests walking straight in and sitting at un-cleared tables, Our breakfast staff are very organised and very professional. Once again I apologise the guest did not enjoy their stay

Reviewed 27 July 2010

From The minute I walked in the front door I felt dissapointed. The hotel looked and was shabby, an old suite beside a billiard table was the only seating in 'the lounge' I wasn't there long enough to use the shower, not clean anyway. I met the receptionist on leaving, he was polite and explained he could not give me a refund after only one nights stay, I was booked for 4 nights. Brochure is certainly false and deceiving, I won't be returning.
MRS DONALD, SCOTLAND.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank brenz19
BedfordBlackpool, Manager at The Bedford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2010

I am astonished and can not believe this guests comment! And it is me that feels truly disappointed!! As I was the polite receptionist on duty that afternoon!

Our Top lounge has 5 Chesterfield Suites and 5 Chesterfield Armchairs in, which are recovered and repaired yearly! We also have the Lounge Bar downstairs, were entertainment is on nightly basis, which I might add holds in excess of a 100 people.

The Guest booked 4 nights Dinner Bed & Breakfast, with no single supplement and after had been given a sea view double bedded room at no extra charge, and at a total cost of £99.00! This guest only came to myself at 2.00pm informing me she wished to check out early due to personnel reasons, I informed her I could only refund half the £99.00 for the 2 unused days, the guests informed me that I needn’t refund anything as it was her personnel reasons for the early checkout. I insisted that I refund the 2 unused days, she asked could I transfer it across as a deposit to her booking with her family for February 2011, which I was happy to do for her.

I then proceeded to spend the next 2 hours on the telephone to the Train company arranging a free ticket change for the guest, as she had booked a specific return train and initially they wanted a complete cancellation and rebook of her ticket for the train. During those 2 hours I and another single travelling guest discussed with the guest her reasons for departing early, I will not discuss these facts over this site, but can assure anyone the reasons given to myself and the other guest have not been mentioned, had the guests family not been in Cyprus and her sister been able to travel with her, these comments would have been completely different.

I have now cancelled the February 2011 booking and forwarded a cheque for the £49.50, which is the 2 unused day’s refund I transferred as deposit for the guest on next years booking. As I have gone through a similar personnel situation, I am appalled at this guest!!