“Awfull”

Grand Metropole Hotel
Ranked #70 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Arrived with no warning that road works had completely cut the Hotel Entrance off.Circled Blackpool repeatedley [Four Times],then in desparation asked a workman to get me in.This was the most helpful individual of the w/e.He should have been employed by the Hotel.He removed two sets of barriers and walked me 50 /60 yards into the car park.After this stuck at the reception while one receptionist attempted to check in a bus load of guest all with different needs.I did of course ask if any one else was on duty to help,but was told not.By this time in frustration I asked if I could cancel my reservation.This was possible but only if I lost all my money which had been paid in advance.Speaking to the receptionist and eventually the manager,it was like trying to engage with two robotic Aliens."There is a way in to the hotel sir"despite the workman removing barriers."Road works ar not mentioned on our Website,but everyone knows",and so it went on.Now the meal times,UTTER CHAOS. One breakfast we had to clear a table, scrounge clean pots and wipe the dirty table with used tissues.I think Ive said enough,read similar review above.One last thing.The room we had on the lower ground floor was good.It is down a shortish flight of stairs but you do have to carry your own cases.there is not much help around.

Room Tip: Get one near a lift
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank DerbyKendal
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2011

I'm sorry you had these issues at the hotel this week-end.

Could you drop me a line on francis.sheridan@britanniahotels.co.uk and I am sure we can come to a resolution on this.

General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,864)

Reviewed 19 June 2011

On arrival we were not aware of the road works, no fault of the hotel but the confusion of weaving through the road works only added to what was to be a bad few days. The reception staff were helpful on our arrival. Our room a Standard Double was what we more or less expected, nothing special but it was clean, couldn't remark on the view I think it was a brick wall but couldn't tell due to the window being caked in bird muck, the mattress had also seen better days and later proved to be very uncomfortable. The evening meal was a real eye opener, we were met at the door and a member of staff pointed out a table for us to sit at and then left us to our own devises, (we found out later that the starter should have been served) we then joined what can only be described as a disorganised feeding frenzy in a cattle market, there was a mass que at the hot plate, it was a case of grab a plate throw food onto a it and fight your way back to your table. The next day we had a lie in and went to breakfast at 0930, this was a really bad start to the day, there were no staff on the door so we found our own table, what we found at the hotplate was probably the worst breakfast I have ever seen or tasted, bacon swimming in fat, the scambled egg nearly bounced off my plate, during our breakfast my partner asked a member of staff if the tea/coffee was self service, after a deep sigh she said she would get us a pot of tea, after bringing the tea she put the pot down and walked off and carried on clearing tables, my partner had to hunt down some milk from another table, if there is anything that gets up my nose it is staff clearing tables (badly I might add) around me while I am trying to eat, it is off putting, and makes you feel like you were in their way and you should eat faster to get out of the dining room. Thinking that the first evening meal experience was just a one off we went again the following day, but this just confirmed our worst fears there was just the same feeding frenzy as the first night. On our last full day, we gave breakfast a miss, packed our bags and booked out. To sum up our short stay, the hotel is in the perfect location for the view of the sea, Tower and North Pier and a short walk to everything that Blackpool has to offer, but this cannot make up for the badly run Dining room, apart from the poor hotplate experience, the furniture and carpet needed a good clean and the staff need more training on dealing with paying guests. The bar at the front does not give a good first impression, whilst the bar staff were friendly and helpful, the tables and chairs looked cheap and did not do the hotel justice. The Grand Metropole is the poor sister in comparison to the Norbreck & Savoy.

Room Tip: Don't stop in room 186
2  Thank Clowes47

Reviewed 19 June 2011

writing this for my 80 year old parents who paid £100 a day for 4 days for their anniversary. came home after 2 days. when booking, was promised a first floor seaview room because of their disabilities, on arrival was told their room was on the second floor when questioning this they were told they don`t promise set rooms and when they said they had purposely asked because of their disability , they were told , they weren`t the only disabled people in the hotel and had to have what they were given, the recieptionist attitude didn`t help the matter. bed linen was clean but mattress and pillow underneath smelled.breakfast waslike a cattle market. they went to ball room for a drink in the evening and their drinks glasses stuck to the table, even the table legs were sticky. the whole place needed a good clean. this is definately one to stay clear of when visiting blackpool. this hotel is definately a low end coaching hotel.unfortunately my parents don`t have the benefit of the internet to have checked it out in advance.so was a complete waste of their pension.

Room Tip: try a different hotel
3  Thank bfkuk1

Reviewed 18 June 2011

Stayed here on a last minute business trip.

Got a good rate for overnight with breakfast included. I arrived earlier than planned and took up early check in. The reception staff were very pleasant and welcoming and the initial impression of the hotel interior was positive. Quite grand at times.

The outside, especially that which runs alongside the street looked very shabby and doesn't do justice to the interior.

I took a light lunch in the conservatory area overlooking the Irish Sea and North Pier. It was good value and the cheap daytime offers in the bar were too hard to resist. The clientele appeared to be mainly coach trip elderly folk who were very friendly.

The lifts were rather aged and creaky and it was a bit of maze to find the room. I had a twin room to myself which was very clean and a sea view. The TV was tiny but had a good choice of channels. Bed was comfy and room was spotless (I did my best Hotel Inspector dust check on the lighting!)

Bathroom had added bonus of a jacuzzi bath which I thoroughly enjoyed after my meeting.

Breakfast was well organised, decent enough and the waiting staff were very friendly and pleasant.

Considering the price was around £5 off what I'd have to pay to stay in a dinky B&B I thoroughly thought I had value for money.

Two slight issues to end.

The rooms use keys instead of the cards and are attached to massive fobs. Think they should update that process as other chain hotels do.

Car park far more expensive for 24 hours parking than anywhere nearby.

Overall, recommended.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank jkkNewcastle
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2011

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters.

We look forward to welcoming you back at some time in the future.

Reviewed 17 June 2011

When we arrived the receptionist was very polite and helpful. Our room was very good and so was the bathroom, they were clean and comfortable. We were impressed that the furniture all matched and wasnt shabby. The breakfast was really good too. We really liked the buffet style (as you didnt have to wait for waiters). Everywhere we went in the hotel was clean and well looked after, and we will definately be going back again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

We look forward to welcoming you back at some time in the future.

Reviewed 16 June 2011

nice hotel ,stayed there on numerous occasions brilliant rooms and comfy beds,nice staff,but on my last trip we had cold breakfast,cold bacon,cold eggs,coldsausages and cold toms.oh the tea was warm!.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for your review.

We have tried to contact you directly to investigate your comments, but have been unsuccessful in receiving a response. If you would like us to investigate your comments further, please contact me directly, on francis.sheridan@britanniahotels.com .

We are sorry some areas of your stay did not meet your expectations and hope this does not deter you from staying with Britannia Hotels in the future. Feedback is important to us as we use it to further improve our standards and service.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your comments.

Reviewed 15 June 2011

We stayed @ The Grand Metropole in May 2011. We booked a 1 night package deal which included dinner, bed & breakfast, in a double spa room for £39 (plus £2 booking fee).We have stayed in many Britannia Hotels and so far we have had really good experiences. However, our stay @ the Grand Metropole left a lot to be desired.
Our room was fine, although we were on the lower ground floor, we found it comfortable, spacious & clean. I suppose we got what we paid for with regard to the view - a wall! The food served at dinner was also pretty nice and the restaurant staff were pleasant and helpful.
Our stay was for a Sunday night, which we thought would be generally quite, however this was not the case when it came to our neighbours. The noise and banging of doors was totally unacceptable and whilst we could have complained to the reception staff, we both do not like to complain and kept hoping that it would soon stop. This noise was continuous from Midnight until the early hours, in fact it was still carrying on after 4.40am.
We are only a young couple ourselves and understand that from time to time the noise levels would be loud but this totally ruined our stay.
Enough so that we didn't even stay for breakfast on the Monday morning and checked out as soon as we could.
We suppose if we had been asked how our stay was when we checked out we would have expressed our complaint/ concerns then but the member of staff on reception didn't even acknowledge us when we handed in our room key and car parking ticket.
We hope that the Hotel take our concerns into consideration and guests should be advised that staying @ this hotel, they would be subjected to high noise levels.
We would definitely not stay at this Hotel again or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Danielle D

Dear Guest, Thank you for your review.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your comments.