“unable to comment room booking cancelled by hotel!”

Grand Metropole Hotel
Ranked #70 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed 30 October 2011

would like to be able to write review for this htoel but our booking for 28 October was cancelled without any prior notice and we were moved to the Norbreck Castle (yuk!) After a 200 mile journey we queued for 15 minutes to check in, to be told,eventullay after lots of toing and froing to the back room, the hotel was overbooked and we had been moved to the Norbreck castle- 3 miles away. no apology, no compensation, no sign of the manager just the poor chap on reception stating that was our only option. (he did confirm that no attempt had been made to conatct us directly or our booking agent to advise of this change) We believe that we were bumped off to the Norbreck castle as we had an internet booking at a reduced price and our rooms were sold again at full price to people contacting the hotel direct . We will not be booking any Britannia hotel again after this experience

Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Sian T
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for your review.

We have tried to contact you directly to investigate your comments, but have been unsuccessful in receiving a response. If you would like us to investigate your comments further, please contact me directly, on francis.sheridan@britanniahotels.com .

We are sorry some areas of your stay did not meet your expectations and hope this does not deter you from staying with Britannia Hotels in the future. Feedback is important to us as we use it to further improve our standards and service.

General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,864)

Reviewed 30 October 2011

I feel I must start this review by stating that although the hotel isnt expensive I have paid the same price to stay in hotels that run rings round this place. It doesn't cost much for manners or cleanliness and I think you have the right as a paying customer to expect both these things no matter what the cost, I dont know where to start really, the reception and entrance hall are very grand and I started to hope that the reviews I had read on here were a bit mean, how wrong I was. We were given our room numbers but could not get in the rooms until 3 even though you have to vacate by 10, this I later realised is due to a rather noticeable shortage of staff. However when I saw my room number was LG8 (lower ground) panic set in as the review that stuck in my mind said, hope you dont get the ground floor. So I took a walk down to see what my room was like. Firstly it was ready, so why could i not get in until 3, anyhow thats an aside, the corridor was like walking to an operating theatre, except dirty, all white with no carpet, and bright fluorescent lights, hideous. My room had a small entrance leading to it, there was no carpet, it was dirty and there had obviously been some sort of flood, but by far the worst was where the carpet had been ripped up the carpet nails were still in the floor and I have two children. The room was a double with a z bed literally plonked in the middle so you couldnt open the wardrobe, with what my daughter later called a dog blanket on the top of it and the whole room stunk of damp. My view was a brick wall. (on the brightside the bathroom was quite nice!) My mum came down to have a look and was furious as she had paid for seaviews. Well this is where the fun begins we went to reception to complain and was basically told tough, that they would cover the nails up and that we had paid for what we had got. Mum said I asked for seaviews and the receptionist said 'the calls are recorded I can phone up central reservations and find out' to me that was basically calling my mum a liar, I had to walk away as we are not a confrontational family but I was fuming. Mum called her bluff and said yes phone, and sure enough there it was loud and clear that mum had asked for sea views. To make up for this they gave me and my two sisters who also didnt have sea views a wrist band to get free drinks between 8pm and 9pm. Great you might think but this is also where the staff shortage came in, one barman to serve a hotel that was allegedly full (something else the receptionist said when we asked to be moved, this later transpired to be a lie as there was someone else complaining later and we heard a different receptionist say we only have 5 rooms left, not full then!). So great to get free drinks but you had to queue to get them and we only had one hour. When we went back to our rooms later the nails were covered with masking tape, very attractive. My daughter cried because of how uncomfortable her bed was, and this time her nan was not taking no for an answer. She spoke to a different receptionist who said they would try and move us in the morning. The next morning the original receptionist said she didnt know what mum was talking about and there was nothing available! But mum stood her ground and miracuously one suddely appeared. The new room reeked of smoke and the carpet was filthy however it was still much better than the previous so we moved, particularly because my daughter had a proper bed. (Also from the LG up you get carpetted floors in the corridors). Some points to bear in mind, make sure you have enough cash you cannot charge anything to your room and debit / credit cards have a £2 fee. The bar shuts at 11 and there is no resident bar. Make sure you are prepared to queue you have to for everything, breakfast, dinner, and drinks. A few plusses, the food was okay with a good choice, the dining staff and the one barman were pleasant enough and the evenings entertainment was also quite good. Location is fabulous, walking distance of shops and tower and right on the beach, Plenty of tram stops down to the pleasure beach. To finish off the week - I had brought my son a new jacket the first day, on the way out of the hotel he leaned against a wall and got wet paint all over it, there were no signs! To be fair on this one the hotel took full responsibility and have taken it away to clean. It was also quite funny to hear the receptionist shout at the maintenance man to make sure he puts up signs. This review might sound harsh but every word is true and I have missed some bits as very conscious its too long, however in my defence I must say that were people at reception complaining constantly throughout my whole 4 night stay. My view - do not stay at this hotel if you do you have been warned!

Room Tip: Do not stay on the lower ground.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
francis_sheridan, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2011

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. I'm quite sure you were never told "tough" with regard to the location and entrance way to your room.

Also the hotel WAS full throughout your stay with us. We did have five rooms still to arrive when the other guests was room moved. The receptionsit you describe as the "original" did not say she did not know what you were talking about. It was she who moved bookings around to facilitate you.

I was pleased to read that you found the food of a good standatrd and that the restaurant staff were pleasant.

Apologies again about your sons new jacket - I belive it has been posted to you.

Reviewed 29 October 2011

Just returen from a 5 night stay at the grand mertopole in blackpool.21ST OCTOBER TO THE 26TH OCTOBER
Waht can I say.
Rooms we had were 127 and 118 I think the had not long been referbed. but the standerd of housekeeping left alot to be desired. windows were filthy rubber seals in them thick with dust. bins not empted every day. Arrived back to room sunday after a long day at the dance festival in the winter gardens to find we had no towels when ask about this we were told that the delivery had not arrived and it would be at least 30 to 45 min before we may get any. There was no spare toliet roll left in the bathroom we had to ask for them to.

Restaurant and food service in the hotel was shocking staff were rude and not that bothered standerd of food was poor and much like you would get for school dinners. Breakfast was very poorly cooked sausages hard bacon burnt or very lightly cooked ,egg hard and crinkle toast was very thin and been packed together in a tin so it had sweted and gone soggy. A dirty plates were left on the table and not cleared away. I have to say that we payed the up grade to the premier dinning room only to find this was just as bad. we wanted to order some wine to go with the meal. We asked a waiter for a wine list 2min later a chef came back and ask what we would like .We said we would like to see a wine list well when she had returned with the wine list she had taken it out of the picture frame that was on the wall out side the restaurant. It must have tuck about 20 to 25 min to get the wine by witch time we had almonst finished our meals.Ihave to say the staff that i cater for in the sainsburys store were I work as a catering manager get better food and service than we receved at the metropole. I was also horrified when i seen a kitchen porter bring in food out the the dinning room were in is wet black rubber gloves that he was wereing to do the washing up and when he was not wering his rubber gloves he would stand ther touching his mouth and nose then move the food about . The entertanment room was dirty. Floor needed a dame good hover and the tables were sticky with steal drink thay were that bad that what every you put down stuck to them.

I did pass on my comments to the hotel reception staff who said that she would pass my comments to the manager and he would get back to me. Well he did get back to me via email. He did this on the 22nd of oct. If he had check the hotel computer system he would have realized taht we were still staying in the hotel so he could have spoke to me in person.

So if you are reading this before you make a booking at the metropole I would think twice before doing it There better hotels in blackpool.
SO when we book for next years dance festival we will be staying somewhere else.

1  Thank richard e

Reviewed 24 October 2011

message to the moaners .. spend £75 -150 night dont expect the ritz.. service excellent at breakfast food very nice rooms functional and clean what winds me up is people paying cheap-reasonable money and expecting gold service i have stayed in over 10 bbs in bpool which have cost more than staying in this hotel to me this is by far the best and i will be back me mrs and 10 yr old found it spot on if you want gold service dip your hand in your pocket and pay 500 a night... room 167 no view but hey walk thru the door and i have the whole of blackpool ..

Room Tip: pay more get more simple
1  Thank Lee L
francis_sheridan, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2011

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters.

If and when you adn your wife and 10 year old return let us know and and we will look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Good check in. Public areas good including restaurants fabric and decor. Upgraded to Nelson Suite and took a trip back in time some 40 years ! Disappointed - basic refurb would not cost a fortune, specific areas being replace very old televisions , do some window repairs (one window was taped up), repair fridge door, replace very old settees, better quality bathroom towels, and give the suite a one off deep clean carpets etc.On activating the shower an unpleasant smell came from the drain - needs disinfecting or similar. A major point is to improve room security - original door handle and lock broken and access is by a single click yale lock only - minimum requirement and easy to implement is a chain inside the door to improve personal security when sleeping.
Room was quiet, bed was very comfortable, and breakfast was good. Staff attitudes varied but this is typical of any establishment.
The place has so much character and would be passable simply based on spending the odd £1,000 per room to make fundamental improvements.
On balance I would not stay again unless improvements are made, and I am pleased that my wife was not with me on this occasion for this experience.
There are many worse places in Blackpool, but many better, and I dont fully accept the comments by some other guests concerning "what do you expect for the price". It is a very competitive industry and you can now expect a lot more for similar prices.

Room Tip: Ensure sea view as nightclubs outside road side of hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Dave507

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Thank you for pointing out those issues with that room that were not up to standard. We will deal with those matters forthwith.

Reviewed 22 October 2011

We have been and had a 2 night mid week stays in this hotel every october for the last 4 years. We take 4 ladies with learning disabilities and 4 staff. We can not fault anything, the food is great, especially breakfast and puddings at the evening meal! (i had two puds one night as i couldnt choose one! lol)
We are always made to feel very welcome by staff and other guests. The rooms, bedding, bathrooms and towels have always been very clean.
Entertainment is not really for the younger generation, however we do always stay in the hotel on the first night for a game of bingo or 2!
Myself and another staff is going to book for the night with our partners when we come to blackpool as I couldnt imagine staying anywhere else, and we shall see you next october too!
Big thank you to all the staff who work so hard to make our job that little bit easier!
Oh and just to add we missed our camp waiter (so sorry i cant remember his name) this year, breakfast just wasn't the same without his smiling face!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 375, spacious and fab see view
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
francis_sheridan, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2011

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I was pleased to read that you found the staff welcoming and your rooms to be a good standard of cleanliness.

Reviewed 21 October 2011

Me and my Husband stayed here with our two year old daughter, we were hesitant after reading reviews, but decidied to give it a go, we stayed two nights mid week the 12th- 14th, we had no problems parking there, which was a bonus and no problems with noise, we were staying on the third floor and were upgraded to a sea view room. The room itself was fine for the cheap priced paid, in fact our only issue during the stay was the staff, i have never met so many unfriendly and unhappy people, a smile costs nothing. Each morning at breakfast we waited a very long time for tea and coffee, and when we asked they just looked at us with no acknowledgement. The receptionists tried there hardest not to give eye contact at all, probably because they are scared of getting complaints! On checkout we were not given any information about the barrier in the car park, he just took our key, not even a goodbye. We would not reccommend this hotel to friends as the whole feeling of the hotel is depressing and made us feel very unwelcome especially with having a child. leave it to the oldies who must virtually live there, hence the feeling your tresspassing on a nursing home.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view, so your away from the road
1  Thank katy w
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2012