“Much Improved since our last visit”

Grand Metropole Hotel
Ranked #67 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Much Improved since our last visit”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Much, Much, Much, improved, they seem to have listened to the feedback since we last stayed, waiting staff in the Worral Dining Room had multiplied by 3 and were really cheery and relaxed and couldn't do enough, was really impressed with the change.

Room was very clean and tidy and we stayed in the same room as last time which was great.

Other staff in the hotel were helpful and the blonde haired lady on reception was great to deal with and very pleasant.

Car park was quite full when we arrived but this was also addressed by the staff to their credit, who helped us find somewhere to park.

Really can't believe the differences that have taken place from our last stay and hope it continues in our future visits.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
francis_sheridan, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2011
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters.

I was delighted to read that you found the staff welcoming and obliging. In particular the Blond receptionist - we do get a lot of comments like this.

We very much listen to the feedback of our guets and react accordingly.

We look forward to weelcoming you back at some time in the future.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,265)
Cannock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We booked this hotel from tele text, what we got was in my opinion the best location in Blackpool. The room and bathroom was a good size with a very good standard of cleanliness. The Worral dinning room was excellent a self serve breakfast and evening meal with the food being first class. The entertainment show room is very good and the sunday night show we saw was very professional.The staff we had contact with we're always helpful. The reception staff we're always polite and informative, the two in the dinning room worked tirelessly getting tables ready for guest coming in and the staff in the coffee shop top draw. Included in our booking was a bottle of wine and a afternoon tea of freshly made sandwiches, scones and tea or coffee so you can say that this holiday was full board. So go on to tele text get the price and see what you'll get for your money but please don't expect the ritz when you see what your paying. We have paid three times this much for a five night stay at different hotels and been very disappointed when you can get all this at the Grand Metropole. And finally we we're talking to a Scottish couple one night and they told us they had been four times this year and we can see why. Thank you all at the Metropole. Sarah B.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julian B
francis_sheridan, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2011
Dear Sarah B, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the afternoon tea selection.

northampton nn2 7ne
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I have just returned yesterday from a 2 night stay with my husband and our 2 Grandaughters aged 10yrs and 13yrs. I must say after booking this break last november i read all the reveiws and was shocked that i might not be in this hotel.I wrote a letter to head office no reply so i wrote to the hotel to say could they please confirm my booking and garantee me i would be staying with them in a sea view which i had booked.I had a letter back from Janine Topley assuring me we would be staying at the Metrople.We had a fab time. food was good we had a family room with a jaccussi which the girls loved including myself.We all had a great time in Blackpool and thanks to all at the Metropole for making this possible with unforgetable views.

Room Tip: We never had any noise from the sea views we were in but some said it was noisy at night road side
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

If and when you and your grand-daughters are returning let us know and and we will look forward to welcoming you back.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Just returned from a 3 days stay at Grand Metropole. Told that the hotel was fully booked when we tried to check in. They told us that they were trying to contact us for last one week but had no contact details. Sent us to the sister hotel called the Norbreck Hotel but that was just a dump and was 1.5miles away from the piers.

Housekeeping was of poor sdtandard. Although we did stay one night at Grand metropole for one night as we refused to stay at Norbreck hotel any longer.

Bathroom was in a poor state.
I would not go back to this place.

Room Tip: Room size varied and was given a small room with hardly any space. Bathroom and toilet facilities we...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review.

We have tried to contact you directly to investigate your comments, but have been unsuccessful in receiving a response. If you would like us to investigate your comments further, please contact me directly, on francis.sheridan@britanniahotels.com .

We are sorry some areas of your stay did not meet your expectations and hope this does not deter you from staying with Britannia Hotels in the future. Feedback is important to us as we use it to further improve our standards and service.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2011

would like to be able to write review for this htoel but our booking for 28 October was cancelled without any prior notice and we were moved to the Norbreck Castle (yuk!) After a 200 mile journey we queued for 15 minutes to check in, to be told,eventullay after lots of toing and froing to the back room, the hotel was overbooked and we had been moved to the Norbreck castle- 3 miles away. no apology, no compensation, no sign of the manager just the poor chap on reception stating that was our only option. (he did confirm that no attempt had been made to conatct us directly or our booking agent to advise of this change) We believe that we were bumped off to the Norbreck castle as we had an internet booking at a reduced price and our rooms were sold again at full price to people contacting the hotel direct . We will not be booking any Britannia hotel again after this experience

Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Sian T
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 2 January 2013

General Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I feel I must start this review by stating that although the hotel isnt expensive I have paid the same price to stay in hotels that run rings round this place. It doesn't cost much for manners or cleanliness and I think you have the right as a paying customer to expect both these things no matter what the cost, I dont know where to start really, the reception and entrance hall are very grand and I started to hope that the reviews I had read on here were a bit mean, how wrong I was. We were given our room numbers but could not get in the rooms until 3 even though you have to vacate by 10, this I later realised is due to a rather noticeable shortage of staff. However when I saw my room number was LG8 (lower ground) panic set in as the review that stuck in my mind said, hope you dont get the ground floor. So I took a walk down to see what my room was like. Firstly it was ready, so why could i not get in until 3, anyhow thats an aside, the corridor was like walking to an operating theatre, except dirty, all white with no carpet, and bright fluorescent lights, hideous. My room had a small entrance leading to it, there was no carpet, it was dirty and there had obviously been some sort of flood, but by far the worst was where the carpet had been ripped up the carpet nails were still in the floor and I have two children. The room was a double with a z bed literally plonked in the middle so you couldnt open the wardrobe, with what my daughter later called a dog blanket on the top of it and the whole room stunk of damp. My view was a brick wall. (on the brightside the bathroom was quite nice!) My mum came down to have a look and was furious as she had paid for seaviews. Well this is where the fun begins we went to reception to complain and was basically told tough, that they would cover the nails up and that we had paid for what we had got. Mum said I asked for seaviews and the receptionist said 'the calls are recorded I can phone up central reservations and find out' to me that was basically calling my mum a liar, I had to walk away as we are not a confrontational family but I was fuming. Mum called her bluff and said yes phone, and sure enough there it was loud and clear that mum had asked for sea views. To make up for this they gave me and my two sisters who also didnt have sea views a wrist band to get free drinks between 8pm and 9pm. Great you might think but this is also where the staff shortage came in, one barman to serve a hotel that was allegedly full (something else the receptionist said when we asked to be moved, this later transpired to be a lie as there was someone else complaining later and we heard a different receptionist say we only have 5 rooms left, not full then!). So great to get free drinks but you had to queue to get them and we only had one hour. When we went back to our rooms later the nails were covered with masking tape, very attractive. My daughter cried because of how uncomfortable her bed was, and this time her nan was not taking no for an answer. She spoke to a different receptionist who said they would try and move us in the morning. The next morning the original receptionist said she didnt know what mum was talking about and there was nothing available! But mum stood her ground and miracuously one suddely appeared. The new room reeked of smoke and the carpet was filthy however it was still much better than the previous so we moved, particularly because my daughter had a proper bed. (Also from the LG up you get carpetted floors in the corridors). Some points to bear in mind, make sure you have enough cash you cannot charge anything to your room and debit / credit cards have a £2 fee. The bar shuts at 11 and there is no resident bar. Make sure you are prepared to queue you have to for everything, breakfast, dinner, and drinks. A few plusses, the food was okay with a good choice, the dining staff and the one barman were pleasant enough and the evenings entertainment was also quite good. Location is fabulous, walking distance of shops and tower and right on the beach, Plenty of tram stops down to the pleasure beach. To finish off the week - I had brought my son a new jacket the first day, on the way out of the hotel he leaned against a wall and got wet paint all over it, there were no signs! To be fair on this one the hotel took full responsibility and have taken it away to clean. It was also quite funny to hear the receptionist shout at the maintenance man to make sure he puts up signs. This review might sound harsh but every word is true and I have missed some bits as very conscious its too long, however in my defence I must say that were people at reception complaining constantly throughout my whole 4 night stay. My view - do not stay at this hotel if you do you have been warned!

Room Tip: Do not stay on the lower ground.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
francis_sheridan, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2011
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. I'm quite sure you were never told "tough" with regard to the location and entrance way to your room.

Also the hotel WAS full throughout your stay with us. We did have five rooms still to arrive when the other guests was room moved. The receptionsit you describe as the "original" did not say she did not know what you were talking about. It was she who moved bookings around to facilitate you.

I was pleased to read that you found the food of a good standatrd and that the restaurant staff were pleasant.

Apologies again about your sons new jacket - I belive it has been posted to you.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit.

warton tamworth staffs
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Just returen from a 5 night stay at the grand mertopole in blackpool.21ST OCTOBER TO THE 26TH OCTOBER
Waht can I say.
Rooms we had were 127 and 118 I think the had not long been referbed. but the standerd of housekeeping left alot to be desired. windows were filthy rubber seals in them thick with dust. bins not empted every day. Arrived back to room sunday after a long day at the dance festival in the winter gardens to find we had no towels when ask about this we were told that the delivery had not arrived and it would be at least 30 to 45 min before we may get any. There was no spare toliet roll left in the bathroom we had to ask for them to.

Restaurant and food service in the hotel was shocking staff were rude and not that bothered standerd of food was poor and much like you would get for school dinners. Breakfast was very poorly cooked sausages hard bacon burnt or very lightly cooked ,egg hard and crinkle toast was very thin and been packed together in a tin so it had sweted and gone soggy. A dirty plates were left on the table and not cleared away. I have to say that we payed the up grade to the premier dinning room only to find this was just as bad. we wanted to order some wine to go with the meal. We asked a waiter for a wine list 2min later a chef came back and ask what we would like .We said we would like to see a wine list well when she had returned with the wine list she had taken it out of the picture frame that was on the wall out side the restaurant. It must have tuck about 20 to 25 min to get the wine by witch time we had almonst finished our meals.Ihave to say the staff that i cater for in the sainsburys store were I work as a catering manager get better food and service than we receved at the metropole. I was also horrified when i seen a kitchen porter bring in food out the the dinning room were in is wet black rubber gloves that he was wereing to do the washing up and when he was not wering his rubber gloves he would stand ther touching his mouth and nose then move the food about . The entertanment room was dirty. Floor needed a dame good hover and the tables were sticky with steal drink thay were that bad that what every you put down stuck to them.

I did pass on my comments to the hotel reception staff who said that she would pass my comments to the manager and he would get back to me. Well he did get back to me via email. He did this on the 22nd of oct. If he had check the hotel computer system he would have realized taht we were still staying in the hotel so he could have spoke to me in person.

So if you are reading this before you make a booking at the metropole I would think twice before doing it There better hotels in blackpool.
SO when we book for next years dance festival we will be staying somewhere else.

1 Thank richard e