“easter holidays”

Grand Metropole Hotel
Ranked #70 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed 13 April 2012

third easter we have stayed at the met, the rooms en suite (premier) sea view, third floor,have always been where we stay, always clean, the food excellent,the location spot on, and parking a dream, we always get there early, park up, book in, and go into town then come back when room is ready, also we have a britannia rewards card,so we get the discount next time we book in, give it a try with a premier sea view, any floor, we did despite some of the reviews, you cant please everybody, see for yourself . dave bolton (room 373) tripadviser reebok 8

Room Tip: sea view premiers
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters.

I'm pleased to read that you thought the Metropole offered good value for money.

As a regular with our company i was delighted you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back at some time in the future.

General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,879)

Reviewed 13 April 2012

I had a 3 night stay at The hotel over the bank holiday, 6-9 April 2012

I paid £256 for the 3 nights, by no means a cheap B&B. I am not a picky person, nor am i hard to please. I have worked in the travel industry for 13 years & stayed at many hotel from small B&B to 5 star hotel all over england. - But i am sad to say I was utterly discusted by this hotel. I have emailed the hotels general manager & i am disapointed to say she didnt even bother to reply. Thank you Francis --, a job well done - NOT

The 1st problem was when checking into the hotel. We had arrived at the hotel around 10am. As rooms can not be checked-in until 3pm, we paid & we went on our way. We were given our room number, and told to return after 3pm for our keys. We returned to the hotel at 3pm to find the queue all the way from reception to car park & i literally mean in the car park. It was utter chaos. I can not believe a hotel of this size could not manage a simple check-in easier on a busy easter weekend. Surley they would be prepared for a large busy check-in. As you can imagine people were frustrated & annoyed in the car park.

Also I had requested a room with a cot, as I was travelling with my 12 month old daughter. When I got to my room I had been allocated a smoking room with a shower. For obvious reasons a smoking room should not have been allocated. Also I should have been allocated a bath, not a shower. It is not possible to bath a baby in a shower. I advised a member of staff on reception immediately, but was advised I was not able to change rooms. What a joke!!!

I noticed on the Saturday allot of people were checking out, so again requested for my room to be changed. They did find me a new room, although I would have expected this to have been offered to me on the Friday, I should not have had to visit reception again to requests this. Bad service!

We also had many issues with the restaurant. I attended 3 evening meals & 3 breakfasts at the hotel, and I am sorry to say not once was my table offered a tea or coffee. I often watched the staff standing about folding napkins or clearing tables. Or just generally chit chatting to each other. At no point during my stay did any member of staff offer tea & coffee. I witnessed many tables asking staff for drinks. As soon as your are seated a drinks order should be taken!! Guests should not have to be constanlty be asking for drinks. There was two members of staff who could not even bare to smile for my time at the hotel.

I used a high chair for all meals at the hotel. I am sad to say these were in a disgusting state. The bottom of the legs were thick with dirt & dust, and also had many food & drinks spills all over. At no point during my stay were the two high chairs cleaned.
I sat at a different table for every meal at the hotel and also noticed the brown dining chairs were also in a similar state to the high chairs. They had food & drinks spills all over. All chairs & high seats need a good clean. No hotel should have chairs this filthy!!!

We were allocated the 5pm sitting for dinner. On the Saturday night the restaurant was roughly 15 minutes late to open, resulting in a queue from the entrance of the restaurant to the entrance of the bar. Within 10 minutes of us been seated & getting our starter the main dish had run out. This then resulted another long queue all around the buffet table. The dish was eventually replaced & again lasted 5 minutes before running out again. It was 5.40pm before I was able to get my main course from the buffet. Through out the stay at the hotel dishes often did run low or out all together & guests were having to ask for fresh replacements. I understand the hotel was busy, but this should not happen at a hotel of that size. When the 2nd meal siiting was due to start, i anotice people were told to come back later as they were running late!

Regards to meals at the hotel, Breakfast is ok, plenty of choice & a good enlgish breakfast available. Evening meals are very basic & have a minimal choice. They generally have one meat & one fish dish. With chips or potatoes & one style of veg. The desserts are great, plenty of choice, both hot & cold. Just a shame you cant get a dirnk with your meal without begging the staff to give you one!

On the Saturday evening I had to requests the lounge toilets to be serviced. 2 of the 4 toilets seemed to be blocked & also a pair of childrens soiled underwear had be placed on the hand sanitizer. I understand its not the hotel fault about the soiled pants, but surley toilets should be checked every few hours?

One day on the landing from our room there was a pile of dirty towels & soiled sheets left by staff. Alos on the stairlift a take away boxes left too. These were there at 9am & stil there when we returned at 5pm. Shocking!!!!! .

I am happy to say the bar staff at the hotel were great. It was a fast, speedy & very efficient service. The bar staff were also very friendly.

I visit Blackpool once a year & this was the first hotel I have used which charge for car parking facilities. I called the hotel before my arrival & at no point was a fee mentioned. It was only £3 a day. Having stayed at hundred of hotels over the years & i have never been charged for parking.

The entertainment is basic. Bingo at 8. Follwed by an act from 8.45pm to 9.30pm. Then final bingo at 10pm. Nothing inbetween.

If you are looking for = Good food, entertainment & clean rooms, i would try another hotel!!!

I have never in my life wrote a review on here - but i was that discusted by the lack of reply from the manager, i thought best to share with the world!!!

1  Thank LeedsTricia
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Dear Guest, thank you for posting a review.

I'm sorry you had an issue with your booking and would very much like to discuss it with you.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

We had booked the Metropole for our one night stay based on it's family facilities and location (we were visiting the Tower Circus with our two small children and had booked our favourite restaurant, just off Talbot Square).

On arrival we were very disappointed, first we had to make our way through the group of smokers hanging outside the main reception doors, then inside, the scene resembled a Victorian railway station during wartime evacuation. The extensive communal area was crowded with everyone's luggage as guests sat around waiting for the issue of room keys. We decided to go to our show and return later in the hope that check-in would be a little more civilised.

I had explained to the receptionist that our little girl suffered with asthma and that a non-smoking room was a must. When we arrived at our family room, it was evident that the room had been heavily smoked in by the previous guests, the duvet covers were stained and the ill fitting valances displayed old, dirty beds. I returned to reception and explained the heavy smoking smell only to be told that they would send someone up to 'spray it'. I explained that spraying was not satisfactory as it would only add more chemicals to the already heavy polluted atmosphere and if I allowed my daughter to be in that room she would probably end up staying the night in A&E.

I was told that there was no other family room available at the hotel and we had to accept transfer to their sister hotel, The Norbreck Castle which was over three miles away. As we had already booked our evening meal at the restaurant, we incurred a further £20 in taxi expenses and the inconvenience of relocating. We were not even offered a complimentary drink as a way of compensation. The Norbreck was ok, but the location was terrible as we had wanted central Blackpool.

I am very disatisfied with the customer service of Britannia Hotels and will not be booking any other of their National Hotels based on this experience.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Reviewed 12 April 2012

Arrived for a 2 night b&B stay on tuesday 10th April. On enering the carpark the barrier was down saying car park full. I noticed this not to be the case and went in to ask reception, was told car park was full sorry and would have to park in trainstatition 10 minutes away. I explained their was car parking so after alittle huff by the lady was eventually let in gate. When checking in the Receptionist was not friendly atall and just passed me the card machine to pay with an extra £6 ontop for carparking & £2 admin fee! We booked a dbl room which you could not swing a cat in, The bed was a 3/4 Bed which was very uncomfortable. The Room was tatty and some parts not clean. On the upside we had a small seaview room. Breakfast was AWFUL like a school canteen anybody could of got in off the streets we sat at a unclean table for 10 minutes until I asked about Tea & Coffee, the waiter said he would bring some over but didnt 10 Minutes later we got ip and left and did not touch the food. On the first night b4 heading out we stayed for a drink £3.65 A bottle of Bud, and £3.25 a sml glass of cheap horrible Wine. This Hotel has a fab Location but the Service is Terrible & will def not be going again. Shame because it has so much Potential. YOU WERE WARNED!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Reviewed 12 April 2012

Staff miserable, hotel miserable, room was VERY basic, wallpaper dirty, carpet dirty, cups and plates at breakfast were dirty, no staff to help people at breakfast and when one was found they were reluctant to help. Outside our bedroom window was a 4 foot gap then a wall making the room very dark with pigeons lined up making noise ALL night. My wife cried and we will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel. Do not stay here
1  Thank paul y

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Hello potencial holiday takers my wife and i recently stayed at the Metropole Blackpool 6 7 8 9 April although we enjoyed our stay the hotel is a little dated .We had room 320 facing the main road although this is the noisy side the noise was blocked if you kept the window shut .The restaurant was fine good selection for breakfast could not fault this. All the staff were friendly and very helpfull.Would definatly stay at this hotel again as it is only five minutes walk from the tower ten minutes if its windy. The hotel could do with a good makeover and would benefit from a lick of paint.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

As you know we are constantly upgrading the Hotel, painting etc. Next time you are here you will see the difference.

We look forward to welcoming you back at some time in the future.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

we had 2 nights in the hotel there were 2 adults and one child ,we were promised a room with 3 beds on arrival , we were allocated room 340 a double and single ;i asked for a camp bed ,the recepitionist .said room too small( health and safety ) and they wouldnt put camp bed in said come tomorrow to change room ,we asked ,but said full again
,room was clean and a nice bathroom
matteresses very bad. the room would have fitted a camp ,bed in but staff .didnt want to be botherd the car park was very small .but the reception wavered the charge .the staff on the whole were unhelpfull entertainment was, good food average , i think the big problem is the hotel attracts a very strange clientle i, think they had dhss people in some of the rooms ?

Room Tip: go to another hotel