“Fawlty towers”

Ranked #68 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
Warrington
“Fawlty towers”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Stayed here over Easter weekend, room o.k. Nightly entertainment only lasted 45 mins finished by 9.45 live singer with two dancers at his side not very good this needs to be addressed to keep people entertained we are on holiday after all, needs something else apart from this and bingo maybe another artist at least to get us to 11pm. first morning went to dining room for breakfast no cups dish washer playing up so waiter took cups off next table and forks what the previous people had not used or so we hope, second morning waiting in line chef came out to fill toast asked how long eggs would be we were told egg man had not been so there would be no eggs today could not believe it , had to ask two different waiters for coffee First one told us "your not on my tables ask the tall girl" thought you've been framed were filming staff looked like they haf just got out of bed theres no good mornings or hello there's nothing theres just no organisation in
dining room the tables are not cleared quick enough, staff leave a lot to be desired from reception

to waiters they all had the same can't be bothered attitude we didn't ask for a lot but when we
did it seems to much trouble they really do need to be better trained in customer service.

Room Tip: A lot better hotels in Blackpool for the same price or cheaper
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for posting a review.

Could you contact me on francis.sheridan@britanniahotels.co.uk

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,269)
MIDDLESBROUGH
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Myself and my partner booked a coach trip to the hotel with National Holidays. You could not fault the location and the food, we found to be okay, especially the breakfast. When I read some of the reviews concerning the restaurant staff, I was surprised, as we found them to be curteous and reliable. Dinner being at five was rather odd, but it gave us time to prepare for the evening.
Our room was clean and warm and had plenty of storage space. Our only gripe was that it was facing a scruffy yard fuilled with noisy pigeons, so next time I will request a sea view. Even though we are in our early fifties, we thought the entertainment was a little old fashioned, so after a couple of drinks, we went into Blackpool for the evenings. There again, even if the entertainment was to our taste, we still probably would have went on our pub crawls.
The blonde girl on reception was most pleasant and helpful, as were the bar staff. We would most certainly return to the hotel, but ask for a sea view. Fond memories of our time there.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view and a shower.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters.

I was delighted to read that you found your room to be of a good standard and that Rachel on Reception gave good service.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The location of the hotel can't be faulted, close to the tower, town and the main piers, though the pleasure beach is a ways off
For under £40 a night, the hotel is adequate, but REALLy could do with a new lick of paint, definitely a new carpet and just a general refresh, as it is starting to feel old and shabby, particularly in general areas

Word of warning if you're under 50, you will almost definitely feel out of place when you walk in, as it felt like a senior citizens waiting area (but can't blame them, the view from there was lovely!)

The room itself was clean and decent size though the bathroom itself its a bit cramped when sitting down and a bigger TV with more channel choice would be nice. BUt the bath/shower was hot and cleaned...

A shame that despite telling them that I wouldn't be staying the second night due to it not being a great hotel for my needs, that I ended up getting charged anyway, staff were apologetic, but stuck to the must tell us by 3pm the day before, which was a shame as I coud't get in the room till gone 4pm and I couldn't be bothered with the argument

Be warned, even if you prebook, you will be charged the £2 for using any form of cards...

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Christian S
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I was delighted to read that you found your room to be of a good standard.

North Wales
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I booked a 2 night stay dinner and breakfast on both days included and a bottle of house wine to have with one of the evening meals. Originally we booked into the Savoy Hotel but were very disappointed with the accommodation and were moved to the sister Hotel The Grand Metropole .
When we arrived at the Metropole we were greeted by a very friendly member of staff (Blonde short hair on reception) who couldn't have done enough , we were given a lovely room on top floor room 370 with 1 x double bed also 1 x single bed and sitting area, the room had lovely views out to sea and of the north pier. It was clean and had a jacuzzi bath and plenty of tea and coffee. The room could do with a little updating but all in all we were pleased. I feel the only down side for me was smoking was still allowed in the rooms my husband was happy as he is a smoker but i could smell it down the corridors when i came out of the lift.
The food we had both for breakfast and evening was lovely there were a few option to choose from the self service buffet from breakfast cereals , to the full works or just toast and the evening meals were nice too from soup,salads, meat and veg, cheese and crackers also a good selection of desserts and Janet the waitress was friendly and chatty.

All in all we enjoyed our stay at the Grand Metropole Hotel and would stay there again for a short weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for outer room when booking with sea view.
1 Thank Clare R
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I was delighted to read that you found the room to be of a good standard and that the food was to your liking.

Altrincham
Reviewed 20 April 2012

This hotel is 'good' for Blackpool, which isn’t saying a lot really as Blackpool accommodation is probably the worst in Britain. We paid extra for a sea view and had a family room so it was quite spacious, the bathroom was modern, fitted with a Jacuzzi bath and the view was lovely. We were lucky to be in a refurbished room but there was still some damp on the wall.

However we were 'conned' into upgrading to the half board package in the 'better' restaurant. I think cantine would have been a better word. Dinner is available only until 7.45pm (despite phoning the helpine in advance who said it was open until 9pm) and consisted of some dried out beef stew and vegetables and something that may have been very dry chicken nuggets??. We weren’t offered any drinks (there was self service juice) and the 'waiter' (who clearly wasn’t clever enough to have a single GCSE) didn’t even offer to put two tables together for us meaning my husband sat on one table and my daughter and I about two feet away on a another. Needless to say we didn’t say stay, after 2 minutes we got up, walked out and went to find a real restaurant that had table service and wine! This type on dining may suit some very elderly clients but it didn’t suit us, we were expecting an awful lot more. Even a pub style menu would have been acceptable. Breakfast wasn’t a lot better with a lot of the items that were supposed to be served in the 'better' restaurant not on the menu.

The hotel is tired and despite being a lovely building needs a lot of money spending on it. If that was to happen it could become a wonderful hotel as I'm sure it probably was a long time ago. If you can get one of the refurbished rooms at a decent price on a B&B basis I'd still recommend you stay. Just remember - don’t book dinner!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view refurbished room when booking.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I was delighted to read that you found the room to be of a good standard and just sorry that the food was not to your liking.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Had a very bad experience with the Grand Metropole Hotel and are contuning to do so!! I orginally booked via the www.britanniahotels.com website and payed online for one of their 'dinner, bed breakfast' deals. When I arrived at the hotel the receptionist told me i needed to pay a futher price because I had only reserved my room online. However on my booking form it clearly states ''A credit card is required at the time of booking. The credit card will be charged for the full amount. All taxes are included in the price". However she persistantly continued that I needed to pay and there was no way my credit card would be charged! So taking her word for it, I payed the further price.

Suprise! Suprise! When I arrived home I checked my bank statements and low and behold the money HAD been taken from my account whilst I had also payed directly at the hotel! Therefore they now needed to give me my over payment back.

That is easy said than done. I have been on the phone to several people from the Grand Metropole, Savoy and Britannia Hotels head office who keep 'shifting' the blame to each other for the payment they wrongly took from my bank account! 12 days down the line, and after phoning each company every single day I am no closer to getting this matter resolved! Appauling, rude, unprofessional, dis organised staff and general hotel chain!!

Alls I want is my money back for what they should never of took in the first place. Surely this is not to hard to ask!? But apprently it is so!

And as for the hotel it self; dreadful! Food, staff, cleanliness, rooms, car park, everything was just a shambles!

If you want to be charged twice when you shouldnt have, then please by all means stay here! If not, aviod at all costs! As from today, I have still not got my money back!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
3 Thank 123laura123
Dear Guest, thank you for posting a review.

I'm sorry you had an issue with your booking and would very much like to discuss it with you. If you believe we still owe you money, please let me know the details.

Could you contact me on francis.sheridan@britanniahotels.co.uk

General Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2012

we stayed 2 nights and on the whole the hotel was good. for the price we paid it was value for money. i filled in a questioner and gave good feedback.i we have one very big issue which the manager has to look into before we consider returning and that is allowing smokers to stand right at the front entrance.!!! its horrible to try and get in and out without breathing in mouthfuls of stale smoke. these people are ignorant of non smokers and couldnt care less. why not make an area round the side of hotel for them to use? we will return only if this change is made.

Room Tip: room 212 is the best one in the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I'm sorry the smokers at the front door were off-putting.