“What a scruffy hole”

Ranked #67 of 69 Hotels in Blackpool
Belfast, United Kingdom
“What a scruffy hole”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

The room was clean, that's the only good thing I can say about the place.
On arrival the deal I'd booked was not recognised by the reception staff who were reasonably polite but surly. The pricing mix up was resolved when I showed my confirmation but then they said they wanted paid up front! Extraordinary. I've never come across this before. They told me it was company policy but it was not in my confirmation. I ought to have left there and then but was in a hurry to get to my destination.

The rooms are basic beyond belief but were clean. At night the noise was incredible, revellers outside roaring until 4:00am!

This is a worn out, shambles of a hotel. Spare yourselves the agony and choose somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank imrmer
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor.

Please accept my apologies for those aspects of your stay that you were un-happy with.

Your comments about the disappointing elements of you stay have been de-briefed with the appropriate personnel and corrective action taken as necessary.

Again thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback, and apologies again that it was necessary to do so.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,267)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2013

stayed at this hotel on the 3rd/4th May 2013.
Room was a sea view which was lovely but it was cold and the hotel get to say when heating goes on and off..I feel this is wrong as I have paid them to stay in their hotel at a cost.
They also had the NYFYC in Blackpool so a lot of noise from them my advise do not go their when this is on.
Food was good, some reception staff rude but bar and restaurant staff nice.
I feel not worth the money I spent.
Blackpool was good but I will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2013

s.w.england
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Right by north pier.A cheap hotel [you get what you pay for],the staff were ok and polite,room was fine for one night,clean and tidy.
The entertanment for a two star hotel was great.The night we stayed we saw the resident entertanment team and thought them very good.All in all good value for money.

Thank T.C.22
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters.

I was delighted to read that your found your room and the Hotel to be clean and tidy and the staff to be helpful and friendly.

We look forward to welcoming you back at some time in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We stayed at this hotel in March, during a cold spell on our first visit to Blackpool. I wished I'd spent more and stayed somewhere nicer! Staff a reception were mostly rude or unhelpful , but that appeared to be due to a shortage of staff and no management about to deal with complaints. The building interior is grubby and some areas smell damp, but it is the towns oldest hotel. We were allocated an internal room which faced onto a central well, so no view. The room had about a two feet either side of the bed, one side of which was up against the wall. The bed and room were clean. It was quite noisy and other residents TV's music systems and activities were very audible, even to partially deaf me. However this was not unexpected as the town attracts stag and hen groups. I did ask to change rooms, but it was not possible, apparently, as they were full. I did manage to get into one of the sea view rooms,( whilst the cleaners were in) which seemed a bit larger and had an impressive view.
The bed was uncomfortable, and sleep was difficult due to the noise. Breakfast was not over inspiring, but the catering staff were much more amenable than their colleagues. Food was plentiful, and kippers and other stuff was prepared if asked for. Entertainment was provided in the evenings, but was holiday camp type stuff, not my cup of tea, but at least they provided it. The bar was also uninspiring. We stayed three nights and paid £168 so it was cheap, but as a last minute booking, I wish I'd spent a bit more time researching it. The location is ideal for walking out into the town, Initially, it took some working out how to get into the car park which was crammed, and was almost impossible to get out of due to some other guests interpretation of considerate parking. Britannia Hotels really need to get to grips with this place, which could be much better, but fails on so many levels. I actually managed to get charged twice for our stay, although their accounts dept were quickly able to sort that out for me when I realised what had happened, so full marks there!

Room Tip: Insist on a sea view, which is quieter and avoid the internal well rooms
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2013

General Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I am writing this review after giving the management at the Grand Metropole Hotel, Blackpool several chances to redeem themselves after this experience, but as you did not, I am now leaving this review to warn others of what to expect from this hotel.

I would like to let everyone know of the terrible experience we had staying at the Grand Metropole Hotel, Blackpool. I had purchased a weekend break via Groupon and we were so appalled by the experience we had to leave after the first night!

Firstly, we were put in a room, which had not been cleaned, the toilet was not flushed, bits of food on the floor and someone's old cup of water left on the side. The room was freezing cold as the windows did not have very good seals and in turn meant we could hear everything on the street.

We asked to move rooms which was done without any problems as we spoke to Mr Francis Sheridan who was the manager. The next room seemed slightly cleaner but we could not see out the window for the bird poo completely covering it.

As part of the Groupon, we had the evening buffet which was atrocious with the choice of just 2 meals pie or fish both which looked and tasted like they had sat under heat lamps for hours on end even when the dinner service had just begun, which made me think that it had clearly been reheated.
As there was not bar in the dining area we asked where to get a drink, we were told to go to the bar at the front of the hotel. Whilst at the bar we were told that it only accepts cash. What bar only accepts cash and not card when its 2013! Not even a cashpoint in the hotel, the nearest cash machine was in the town, so we had to eat without a drink as we had already got our food. As the weather was bad, we had to go out in a blizzard of snow to get cash out just so we could have a drink, which we ended up going to Wetherspoons as by then I didn't want to drink in the hotel.

Later that evening when we came back to the room there seemed to be a party happening directly under the room. I can understand that music can be loud however, the music on this occasion was ridiculously loud and went on until well after half past 1 in the morning and we did not have a good nights sleep.

Because of all of this we felt that there was no way we wanted to put ourselves through another night at the Grand Metropole Hotel. We told the receptionist about our stay and told them we were appalled and requested a refund for the night we were not going to stay, but she said that we needed to request it in writing to the manager.
When we wrote asking for a refund we were not offered anything apart from another nights stay in the hotel. There is no way I would go back to that awful hotel and its really put us off returning to Blackpool because of it.

Groupon, I have purchased a number of deals from you but I am seriously disappointed that you have endorsed this hotel.
Britannia Hotels, I am still seeking a full refund in compensation for this awful experience and strongly advise you get your hotels renovated and brought up to the 21st century before you lose all customers and no doubt get closed down by the hygiene agency.

I warn you all, stay in a different hotel when visiting Blackpool!

Room Tip: Book a different hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marc C

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2013

We stayed in the Metropole a few years ago in 2010 and found it to be excellent with a bright, clean and tidy room and an excellent breakfast thrown in. On the strength of this we thought we would stay again for a two night break. But wished we hadn't.

When we got here we checked in at reception and as it was before 3pm we had to wait until then to get our keys (which was not a problem as we had a little wander round near the Tower). When we got back we went to reception and asked for our key - we were just given it with a 'Here' and left to find our room. Nothing about where the room might be or even telling us about our breakfasts or any entertainment in the building that night...seemed like we were just int he way.

We found our room which was small, but adequate and unfortunately situated on the main road and it was very noisy ALL NIGHT. This was not due to the traffic but the very poorly insulated windows that were in the room and bathroom. It was almost like there were no windows and even checking to make sure they were shut properly did not help. This meant all night we could here cars, trams and buses as well as the odd argument or two which is certainly not conducive to a good nights sleep.

Other things to note in the room was that the kettle had stale water in when we got there (have no idea how longs that may have been there!), the bed was very, very hard with virtually no give in it....more like a brick than a bed! On one side of the duvet cover there were three large holes that you could fit your hand in! On the carpet there were sticky black marks. Although the bathroom itself was of a good decent size there was no blind or curtain to pull across when in the bathroom - although there was frosted glass there are shops and nightclubs opposite which is not good for privacy. Also the bathroom windowsill was thick with muck, you could write your name in it. And we did! The TV was situated very close to the main door in and out and you could easily knock it with a suitcase etc and cause an accident.

After a poor night we made our way down for breakfast where there was plenty of seating available and the breakfast was hot and quite nice with plenty of choice and replenished regularly but by this time what with the room and the terrible weather (wind and rain) we decided to cut our losses and not stay the second night and placed the keys in the box on reception and was not even bid a goodbye or a 'hope you enjoyed your stay' by the receptionist! Although by this time it was not expected!

As an extra note you now have to pay £3 per night for parking when before it was free which is a shame especially as you are still not guaranteed a space to park. Also as you get a ticket on entry you need it validated to leave the car park but no one had told us this!!

We certainly won't be back here again which is a shame as it's in an excellent location in a grand old building but it appears Britannia either don't have the money to look after it properly or are just not bothered when they have your money.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guests, thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

The less than effusive welcome has been highlighted to the reception team and training done to ensure there is no repeat. Normally we give a welcome letter with details about the Hotel, dining times, Entertainment etc. to every guest - I assume you did not get that either? I cannot track down your room without knowing your name, however, I have today asked a local Window company to come in and quote for any and all loose windows.

The standard in this Hotel is that all water in kettles is thown away and the kettle left open, clearly that did not happen. The issues with regard to your room and bathroom have been passed on to the housekpeeper and Maintenance Manager.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed breakfast.

If you contact me on francis.sheridan@britanniahotels.com I will look at some form of recompence.

Regards,

Francis - General Manager.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2013

we have just got back from a 4 night stay. When we got to our room the room was dirty & the shower door was hanging off! We went down to reception reported it, i was honest with her & said this was my 7th visit to the metropole & its the worst room i have stayed in there was no apology just a"do you want another room", we said yes but wanted to look at it first glad we did it hadnt been cleaned since the previous visitors!! we refused it. We asked if we could upgrade to a better room we were told we were in an executive room NEVER!!! We were told we could have a sea view but would have to pay extra so we did. The towels& bedding were clean but the room was not it was dirty. The food was basic & edible & they seem to have a problem with getting clean cups.Ibelieve they have spent alot of money on making new rooms i think the rooms they already have need to be put right. The hotel is lacking in cleanliness the lifts are a disgrace. The staff need to smile their faces seem to reflect the hotel