“Pleasantly surprised - what a lovely, old historic hotel!”

Grand Metropole Hotel
Ranked #67 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly surprised - what a lovely, old historic hotel!”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I had mixed views about this place before I arrived judging by the reviews on here. I have to admit the hotel is a little bit of a maze, but the room we were given was great! Spacious, very clean, all the amenities you'd expect. The fresh fruit and chocolates were a very nice extra touch. The portable TV from the 1990s was a little disappointing. Flat-screen should be the norm these days, especially now that they are so cheap.

Can't really comment on the rest of the hotel's facilities - but if you want a grand hotel with some character, away from the templated Travelodges and Premier Inns, along with being right by the seaside, then I'd suggest you can't go far wrong with the Metropole. Breakfast was bland at best and I'd give it a miss if I were you - sausages were poor quality and not even fried egg available, clearly for the convenience of the kitchen staff.

I'd still go back though, the room was great, bed comfy, all very clean and felt very grand. Shower was amazing, Felt like I was getting a back massage! Get some decent lifts that aren't from 1974, sort out the food, and it'd be full all the time I'm sure! Very pleasantly surprised!

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms facing the main road, full of bars that kick out at 2am with drunk people
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I was delighted to read that your found your room and the Hotel to be clean and tidy and the staff to be helpful and friendly. The shower in particular was obviously a big hit. Thanks for that.

As you quite rightly say, some reviews can be wholly inaccurate and miss-leading.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,264)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2013

just come back today from a stay here and only thing nice was the view, the room was ok in size but it didn't look like it had been cleaned properly in ages curtains hanging off rails hairs in shower which I made my husband clean .we spent 10mins with another couple stuck in the lift tried emergency call this didn't work so we just had to wait the lady on reception when we complained was very unconcerned it is a hotel in need of a lot of care and attention I have stayed in many hotels and paid a lot less money and had a lot better experience I will deff not be staying again

Room Tip: sea view good is all I can say of it
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor.

Please accept my apologies for those aspects of your stay that you were un-happy with.

Your comments about the disappointing elements of you stay have been de-briefed with the appropriate personnel and corrective action taken as necessary.

Again thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback, and apologies again that it was necessary to do so.

Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2013

me my mum and my 2 children stayed at the grand metropole hotel in blackpool for 3 nights dinner bed and breakfast when i got to reception i was greeted by a lady with short hair who was very polite and greeted me with a smile i was told to come back at 1 as i had paid for early check in we went and had a drink then returned to collect keys witch was very quick
when we got into our room it was very spacious and clean only problem was there was about 10 steeps to the room and i had a small child in a pushchair who would be asleep when returning to the room of an evening so i went to reception and they promptly gave us a new room witch was also very clean and comfortable. meal time was very good on the first night and other nights were tasty to. my children loved being able to have ice cream every night
at breakfast we was greeted by a waitress and asked if we wanted porridge/tea/coffee there was a good selection but found the toast a little soggy
all the staff we came into contact with were very polite and made our break very enjoyable we will be returning in august

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters. I'm so pleased the Kids enjoyed having Ice Cream each night.

Renfrew, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Arrived at Grand Hotel on 25th. March for 5 day stay with my Mum. We got our keys to a lovely twin bedded room on the 1st floor. It was very spacious, with a view out to sea at one side and up the road towards the North of Blackpool on the other side. Only points were could do with a bath handle and heated towel rail in bathroom, otherwise lovely large bathroom. Food was self-service, but nice and hot with the chefs continually coming out to make sure plates replenished. Breakfast plenty of choice, with porridge and cereals and hot food. At dinner If you did not like hot choice, always cold meat and salads. Plenty of delicious sweets. Entertainment at night was by an 'enthusiastic group' for approx. 1 hour. Mum and I enjoyed stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I was delighted to read that your found your room and the Hotel to be clean and tidy and the staff to be helpful and friendly. I trust you and your Mum will be returning to us in teh future.

Corby, Northamptonshire
Reviewed 5 June 2013 via mobile

I am so pleased we only spent 1 night at this hotel, when booked we requested decaf coffee for our room after a 4 hour journey we got to our room my wife wanted a decaf coffee but none were in the room, I went to see reception and asked only to be told ' we dont do decaf I suggest you buy your own' nothing more nothing less was said, we later asked another question at reception only to be spoken to like we was dirt, not once was we welcomed by the staff not even at check in!!!!
The hotel had 1 working lift which only a max of 4 people could fit in but even when you got out the lift you had stairs to go down and a long walk to our room!
The hotel is very dated, yes it was a bargain but when booked we wasn't told about aditional cost like £2 for paying by card and £3 to park your car if you can find a space!
The breakfast was poor as all items were of a cheap range.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank mikkihames
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor.

I have messaged you to find out a little more detail on your stay. i hope you will be able to respond.

General Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2013

the metropole is like a grand old lady a bit jaded round the edges and leaks a bit,in places the hotel is beautifull in others it needs work,we were in room 359 which had a sea view and a lovely big bathroom with a jacuzzi bath,the room is not very big,but big enough for two people.Food was fine but the dinning room could do with a better system for queing etc organised chaos comes to mind.staff are very helpfull and go out of their way to solve any issues,we booked a vip package including free wine bowl of fruit and chocolates excellent value.i would definatley stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I was pleased to read that you found the staff welcoming and your rooms to be a good standard of cleanliness.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

Came here for the first time last year and in all honesty other than the noise from the nightclubs which left you with a choice of either sweat with the windows shut or have them open and get no sleep from the nightclub noise, it was spot on.

Now for this year, where do I start, te so called sea view was looking up the promenade with just a peak of the sea through a condensated window. Not my thought when paying an extra £10 per night. The main reception area had dirty seats and an annoying message on loop about smoking. The main lift was broke leaving the whole hotel sharing a 4 person dark little lift. The room looked like it needed a proper clean with dirty marked carpets.

The hotel does seem to be in decline on the whole because the number of guests wasn't a quarter to last year, just one dinner sitting not two and the dining area was half blocked off. The guests that were here on the whole seemed to be pensioners that had been coming here year after year and they were perhaps more reluctant to change but I hate to say unless this hotel changes it'll only go one way. Sadly this will be my last time spent here.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Gaz-Stoke
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor.

It was indeed unfortunate that you were here when one lift was out of order.