“wonderful weekend”

Ranked #68 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
durham, United Kingdom
“wonderful weekend”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

just come back from the metropole . we have stayed there many times and always enjoyed ourselves. the comedian on friday night was excellent and had my wife crying with laughter. the room was lovely and warm and spotless as always the food was good as well and all the staff were friendly and helpful. i have read some of the reviews and don;t know where some of these people are coming from. we have stayed many times and found nothing to complain about.and will continue to stay at the metropole once again thanks for a great weekend and a merry christmas to you all

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review. I'm pleased that you liked teh friday night comic.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters.

I was delighted to read that your found your room to be clean and comfy and the food to be of a good quality.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the New Year.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,269)
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

arrived here via a National Holiday Break and was a bit wary BUT nice and clean bedroom very nice small bathroom which was spotless, shampoo soap etc also hairdryer.Self service for meals but plenty choice. Also nice Christmas Diner on the Saturday evening with crackers and party hats.
What more do people expect for £99 each with free wine with evening meal and 4 free drink tokens per night.
Dont knock it Try it.

Room Tip: 1st or 2nd Floors with sea view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the New Year.

London
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed for 2 nights (Nov 29/30). I wish I had read the reviews before booking. The entrance is shabby and with dirty windows . You are welcomed by the awful smell of old chip fat as there is a tatty café inside the hotel. We waited 3 hours to get our key and due to the inclement weather waited in the lounge area. The sofas were so old and tatty that I was reluctant to sit down on them. The lounge area was cold and those waiting for their room keys huddled by electric heaters with their coats / hats on to keep warm. Rain was leaking heavily through the domed ceiling onto the carpet. The lounge area had an awful stench about it. The gents toilets urinals were overflowing and the same yellow "warning" signs were on show in the toilets for the two days of my stay - each time one waded through a wet floor to reach a urinal. The bedroom was very small and depressing. Wood chip wallpaper, red stains on the carpet - a long hair found in the shower, one of the spot lights in the bathroom was not working, TV was approx 14inches with only the basic 5 channels. The room was grubby and dirty. I returned to reception to pay for an upgrade. Whilst waiting, two other guests were at the desk complaining bitterly about their rooms. Receptionist was helpful. I felt for her as she clearly couldn't help the state of the hotel. Our second room was slightly bigger and more cheerful and faced the street. An improvement on the first room. However...when I looked under the bed there were two empty crisp packets, a carrier bag and a till receipt. So clearly neither the maid nor a housekeeper had cleaned / checked the room before we entered it. Again, an overwhelming feeling that the room / bathroom was grubby and dirty with no bath mats or other basic amenities you would expect of a hotel. You could barely see out of the window as it was so dirty. A discarded pizza box was outside in the corridor for the duration of my two day stay ? I requested an iron / ironing board which duly arrived. To my amazement, the maid still didn't pick up the pizza box.!!! I had breakfast included in my room rate - since the public areas and bedrooms were filthy dirty, I had NO confidence in eating in the restaurant - so we ate out for breakfast. I paid around £120 for two nights. I was not expecting luxury however, I expect the hotel to achieve basic standards of cleanliness. This hotel doesn't. I urge any potential client to spend their money elsewhere unless you're happy to sleep in a dirty depressing hovel. My experience and those of many others cannot be put down to an "oversight". The hotel should be closed down.

Room Tip: Tip - Don't spend your hard earned money to stay here. It's a hovel !!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sebastian2009
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor.

Please accept my apologies for those aspects of your stay that you were un-happy with.

Your comments about the disappointing elements of you stay have been de-briefed with the appropriate personnel and corrective action taken as necessary. Sadly we cannot do anything about charges in other car parks.

Again thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback, and apologies again that it was necessary to do so.

General Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Dublin, Ireland

where to start
upon arrival we were basically dismissed and told to come back at three o clock the allocated check in time, and "NO" there was no luggage room to store our luggage in until then.
Then came the rooms on the way to the rooms the smell of damp, urine and general unkempt was everywhere with damp walls on the stairs filthy carpets in the corridors and the rooms we the same especially the bathrooms (a living Disgrace)
The staff were the most negative unresponsive people i have ever come across in my life and I myself am in the hospitality industry with 20 years experience.Monday couldnt come quick enough for us to leave this hell hole. Ive seen a review earlier compairng this dive to a prison and can honestly say i agree that prison would be better..

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 48stephenc

Oxford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

It was my birthday celebration weekend and I had a fantastic time apart from the awful experience at this hotel
Good points though: friendly, helpful reception staff and bar staff - I can not fault - excellent location and easily accessible
Now for the bad news: found a soiled towel in our bedroom ( I didn't want to complain at the time fearing that staff would think it was us)! - I know silly isn't it - cleaning of room ok but didn't replace towel, had to go and find another - the biggest issue for me though was the aggressive behaviour of the catering staff - the waiting staff 'ok' but looked as if they didn't want to be there - when I say aggressive I really mean so, you don't expect the chef to stare you out and reply in a very hostile, aggressive manner do you? we were merely pointing out that meal times should not be changed especially when the hotel booking card quite clearly says promenade restaurant 6.30pm - in fairness the hotel was not full at all and a sign was put up but not very clearly, the reception staff should post a note through your door and or inform you when you return from a day out, not acceptable. There are cracked window panes on the third floor corridors, pigeon 'crap' coming through one window frame and very heavily soiled carpets!!

However, as I said it was the aggressive chef that really upset me - very intimidating behaviour and 100% should not be working there - this needs addressing at all levels. I would also suggest this hotel be put under 'supervision' asap as it's quite clearly failing - as for the food, it was ok, but not a pleasurable dining experience - Britannia Hotels - you really need to sort this hotel out and fast!! Would defo not go back to this hotel ever - really needs looking at immediately!! Sorry, I don't mean to give such a horrid review but the issues at this hotel are serious and need urgently addressing, you have a number of elderly guests and others with special needs and I worry for them should they experience the problems we did.

Room Tip: look at the room before you accept the keys!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nigel H

liverpool
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Booked an executive room paid £72.00 b&b what a disgrace this place is , the executive room is either a sea view or a spa bath we got the sea view , the room was tiny the carpet was filthy , and stains on the bathroom floor which looked like blood im glad we never got the spa bath are lives could have been in danger !
We went and swapped rooms as we were not staying in there which they did to super executive room which was exactly the same as the first one but bigger , oh! and no blood stain . i had already paid in advance , if i hadn`t there is no way we would have stayed there . The next morning we went for breakfast what a disgrace ! the sausages were vile the bacon was burnt and the scrambled egg was just a big load of slop , so we ate nothing . we just couldnt wait to get out of there it was filthy the carpets the walls the stairs and the dining room

372.00

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Food was awful. Bed smelt of stale urine. No hot water. Neither the TV nor the lights worked. If you missed 'role call' at 6.30pm, you weren't fed.
Stay at Strangeways, at keadt you know what's in thr meat.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank iannorth
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I'm sorry you have such a negative view of the Hotel. The majority of feedback we get - on this site and many others, and through our own mechanisms is favourable. The repeat business figures are also very strong and show and increasing trend in very tough economic times.

Perhaps in the future you will try us again and have a much more positive experience.