“Better than I expected.”

Grand Metropole Hotel
Ranked #70 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel in the first week of February 2014, bearing in mind that the hotel was built in 1776, it is in pretty good shape. Having booked a short break with National Holidays, I didn't expect anything luxurious, especially for the price I paid, but I was rather pleasantly surprised. This hotel compares favourably to the Imperial Hotel, in fact it is a lot better than that hotel. The food was good and plentiful. Our room was adequate, with the bonus of a seaview. A power shower & a spa bath were also unexpected. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Blackpool.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,879)

Reviewed 11 February 2014

stayed 1 night in feb, staff very freindly and helpfull, large seaview room was clean and tidy. great location for most blackpool atractions. £3 to park on there own carpark but thats cheaper than most blackpool carparks. breakfast was disapointing food was luke warm.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anthony J
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your commenst about food quality at breakfast not being up to scratch have been passed to the Head Chef.

We look forward to welcoming you back at some time in the future.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I enjoyed my stay more than I did in The Savoy Hotel. The Receptionist Rachel was sooo helpful and friendly. The room was excellent looking at North Pier room 185. The room was clean and tidy. But again the same downfall there is no Internet or Wifi services in rooms. Only down in the lobby which can be annoying. Breakfast was fantastic with open buffet. I prefer these you can helpself and feel more relaxed for seconds. I think all hotels should do this.

Room Tip: Room 185 looks at North Pier and the beds faces out the window.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters. Sometimes one has to experience the Hotel for them selves rather than rely on dubious inaccurate reports. The Chef was particulary pleased to read about your thoughts on breakfast.

Your comments about the Wi-fi coverage has been passed to IT who hopefully can extend this.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

i stay at the met once a month every month twelve months of the year, have done since 2011 so i speak from expierience. only once have i had to complain and the manager verry kindly rang me personally to appologise and offer me a free night stay at my leisure(thank you). but on the 4th of feb i booked in as normal and i recieved my key card (only) i was not given the regular time table as normal probably because my face was familiar im not sure,but we went to are room as normal.the previous months breaky was from 8.30 til 10.00 so as usual we strolled down at 9.40 toavoid the que only to be met by the coloured elder gentleman of staff with "we finish at 9.30" no sorry or explanation and he carried on with his work as if we were not there . when i asked the rec staff about this she appologised and asked me if i recieved the letter on booking in informing me of the changes. "no i did not" i said and with that i booked out and found a cafe.i emailed francis about this and got no reply, i have emailed the head office and still waiting for a reply. but apart from that the hotel in my opinion is spot on and value for money. the food is good as is the entertainment. the location is brilliant and the majority of staff are always willing to help especially the rec staff. the price of the ale is reasonable too.
regards philip mcnamara

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank windamon

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I'm sorry you missed breakfast beacuse of a mix-up in timings. We will make this up to you on your next visit - just let us know.

BTW - I did not get an e-mail from you?? Could you send it again.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I called up Britannia directly to book, but as the price with Britannia was £115 more than Trivago I booked through Trivago. Usually Britannia would price match, but they refused to this time.
When we arrived, the gentleman he checked us in refused to accept my loyalty card as we made the booking through Trivago. In the past I have been able to use my card, but this time I couldn't. Having being able to use the card at the hotel is one of the main reasons we book at this hotel, as well as the location.
Our room was lovely, we had a great view, and I could not complain in any form about it. It was clean and tidy and the bed was very comfortable. Our maid never visited our room in the last 3 days we stayed though, so we had no clean towels.
The main reason I have awarded such a low score is because the food, especially breakfast is disgusting. We were told the wrong times for breakfast by the receptionist, so when we came down for breakfast on two occasions we were told by the restaurant staff that breakfast had finished.
When we mentioned this to the receptionist she just apologised and said they have changed the breakfast times and someone should have told us. So we had to pay to have breakfast out on both of these occasions.
When we did get down for breakfast the following day, I wished we hadn't bothered. The only way I can describe the breakfast offerings was as "Gruel".The sausages are the cheapest of the cheap and deep fried, the bacon was very fatty and salty and had no taste. The toast was as hard as a rock from where it had been toasted hours before and put under the hot light. The only option I liked from the menu was the yoghurt, but there was hardly any left. I think breakfast needs a total overhaul. I understand cooking for a large amount of people must be very hard indeed, but the standards have slipped. The corridors smelt of sewerage too.
I am debating next time visiting an independent hotel so we can have breakfast that is edible. This is a shame as I use Britannia Hotels very regular. About 24 times a year, and this experience has put me off using them in the future. A great shame.

Room Tip: Avoid the food !!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor.

Please accept my apologies for those aspects of your stay that you were un-happy with.

Your comments about the disappointing elements of you stay have been de-briefed with the appropriate personnel and corrective action taken as necessary.

Again thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback, and apologies again that it was necessary to do so.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed at the Metropole just before Christmas when on a trip with National Holidays. The hotel itself is a magnificent building in its own right and is truly " grand " in the architectural sense. It is also in a great location , just yards away from all the major attractions of Blackpool. Sure , it could do with some cosmetic upgrades , but it would take major investment to completely revamp it given the size of the public areas. My bedroom was small but perfectly clean and comfortable , bathroom was functional , plenty of hot water when I needed it. Evening meals were excellent , plenty of choice , buffet style , but that suits me as no long waits for table service. Breakfast a little disappointing , bacon and sausages overcooked and greasy , but plenty of other items available so I just put this down to the volume of guests that they have to cater for. All staff cheerful and positive , no long queues at the bar either. Compares favourably with other Britannia hotels I have stayed in and is undoubtedly excellent value for money. If I was paying Hilton prices , then I would have been disappointed , but I was on a coach holiday , breakfast , dinner and four drinks a day all included , at a price that might just have covered the cost of one night , room only , at a superior hotel. Would definitely go there again and intend to do so in the near future.

Room Tip: I am sure some rooms are noisier or less spacious than others in view of the size of the hotel. If y...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Most of all I was pleased that you felt we offered value for money.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

This was the second visit in a few years, unfortunately it has not improved with the years.
The reception staff were as miserable as sin, the room was small although supposedly an executive room.
There was someone else's sanitary wear in the wardrobe on arrival.
The food has not improved.
Position of the hotel is perfect for the town, promenade, illuminations etc.
Car park is a useful addition although it is now charged for.
Will I return? to Blackpool yes, to the Metropole NO!

Room Tip: Get a sea view and as high as possible, if you can afford it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your good comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters. Sometimes one has to experience the Hotel for them selves rather than rely on dubious inaccurate reports.

As for the niggles you mentioned I will ensure the Departmental Managers are briefed and that they resolve those issues.