“booked as part of a tribute weekend” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Metropole Hotel

Grand Metropole Hotel
Ranked #69 of 72 Hotels in Blackpool
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“booked as part of a tribute weekend”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

communal areas pleasant and clean.
big dining room, food was good.
my room was a double at the back/roadside of the hotel - needs decoration , windows were filthy from the road, need regular cleaning.
reception staff helpful and pleasant.
handy for town and the tower. promenade is fabulous since the makeover, pier seen better days.

Room Tip: ask for sea view, noisy at the back, nightclub over the road.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank suzanne f
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters. Sometimes one has to experience the Hotel for them selves rather than rely on dubious inaccurate reports.

These Tribute Weeends are so important to us and we look forward to doing many more in the future.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,233)
houghton le spring
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

room 281 was very poor the TV was crap we had to go to reception to ask for clean towls the beds was like laying on concrete block dirty carpets the room smell was crap lifts are useless I would never go back again and I mean never awfull

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor.

Please accept my apologies for those aspects of your stay that you were un-happy with.

Your comments about the disappointing elements of you stay have been de-briefed with the appropriate personnel and corrective action taken as necessary.

Again thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback, and apologies again that it was necessary to do so.

General Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Me and my partner stayed here for 2 nights ...good location ..clean comfy beds but that's about all
needs a good clean and updating
if your looking for cheap and cheerful this is your hotel if not look elsewhere

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Most of all I was pleased that you felt we offered value for money.

Preston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Booked this hotel through bookings.com - I really should have checked on Trip Advisor (which I normally do before booking any hotel).
The car park was full so had to pay £13 for car park across the road!
I booked for two nights but ONLY stayed for one!
We stayed in room 255 which is at the far end of the hotel with part sea view (which was not bad).
The curtains and nets were filthy as was the carpet!
The carpet was also stuck together with black maskin tape from room to room.
The paper on the wall was peeling off from the damp, the remote control batteries was help into place with plasters!!
There should have been complimentry soaps etc. in the bathroom but we had none, the towels are really old and worn and the shower head was falling to pieces and he toilet roll was less than half a roll and NO spare.
The television had five channels and the tv itself must have been over ten yrs old.
When we checked out a day EARLY, the receptionist said we were in a standard room and could have been upgraded if there had been room, we had seen the so called upgraded rooms and these did not look any different than the room we stayed in.
I really think we should have been given a full or even a part refund for the one night we didn't stay but nothing was offered, not even an apology for our complaint.
I would never use this hotel again UNLESS it gets a full refurb and brought into this century.

Room Tip: I wouldn't believe there are any!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nige1966

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

All the worst comments you here in the reviews are true, if not worse from receptionist to room. First room we got was in the basement,window would not close and dampness throughout. Second room dampness again mould in bathroom windows were barely sat in there frame's if not for duct tape. Carpets disgusting never been cleaned for years not even vacuumed chip trails up the stairs for days. Some walls were practically falling down due to damp never seen a hotel so badly maintained in my life shocking !!!!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank TATeasdale

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Firstly may I say I am not one for writing reviews on sites. ( I WISH I HAD READ REVIEWS ON HERE TOO ) HOWEVER I feel obliged to do so about this hotel. We booked 2 rooms for myself , my wife in one and my sons in the other for a 3 night " Entertainment " break. We booked them to include breakfast and evening dinner. On arrival we paid £60 extra as agreed for a sea view / spa bath room for my wife and I. When we went to our room, which did have a sea view it had NO BATH, just a shower and was tiny. My sons ( Standard ?) room was twice the size, had both bath and shower............and a sea view!!!!!!!!!!

We decided it was only 3 days so decided not to complain. It was my sons 21 st birthdays and their room was ok. ( OH HOW I WISH I INSISTED ON MOVING ) After breakfast on our first full day we left room. As we left we saw that most room doors on our floor were open, with a lot of activity so we decided to put the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door and went out for a walk into town. On our return the sign was not on the door. Initially we thought the room had been cleaned anyway but on opening the ( locked ) door the room had not been cleaned and bed was unmade. The sign was in fact on the floor just inside the room. We thought this odd but at first glance nothing seemed untoward , There was a decent quality watch of my wifes on the table with a few pounds in change. The window was shut as it was when we left.
The reason I am SO SURE about the window was that..
1...It was very windy.
2...It was raining and room already cold.
3...I was very aware that although the rooms proximity ( Next to a outside fire stair) made it vulnerable and that the security lock which stops the window opening more than a couple of inches was missing. It was not broken but removed with just holes in frame where it had been..

Therefore I was extra vigilant. Then as we looked for our bags to change for diner we were horrified to find them missing. In the bags were ALL my wifes clothes and many personal items , including laptop , kindle, bank cards, cash and our house keys. Also many things which are not replaceable like pictures, travel passes etc. I of course rushed to reception and informed them and asked them to call police. I also called them.
The (duty manager) checked the keylock and said no one had entered the room.! So how did the bags get stolen ? The window could only be shut from the inside. Why was the sign inside the door ?
I totally understand that anywhere in the world, in any hotel things can be stolen HOWEVER the hotel should be take reasonable responsibility to keep rooms secure. Why then was the security lock missing ?????????????????

SO HOW WERE WE TREATED???????????
After the incident my wife refused to return to the room (, and the police were not attending until following day ) Despite telling the duty manager and he seeing how distraught she was WE WERE NOT OFFERED ANOTHER ROOM. WE SLEPT IN MY SONS ROOM ON CHAIRS.
We had missed dinner and I tried to BUY my wife a hot drink and a sandwich. We could get neither. Both reception and the bar said it was not possible . IT WAS 9 O,clock in the evening.!!!

I informed the duty manager we would be leaving the next day ( A day early) after we had seen the police in the hotel. From the time of the incident until we left at 2.10. the following day ,although we never left the hotel NO MEMBER OF MANAGMENT STAFF EVEN SPOKE TO US.!!! ( The manager has since said by email he tried to see us the following day but we must have " left early". We were in foyer of hotel all the time. With police in fact from 11. 30 for hour and half. We left at 2.10.

Since returning home I have emailed Manager , head office customer services asking for a refund. Customer services just bounce letters on to the hotel and The Manager stresses that he and only he makes calls about Metropole. He has recently refused any recompense .

Having given Britannia HO and hotel manager fair chance to rectify this matter I am currently speaking to my solicitor , Trading Standards etc as I will not let this go.

It seems from this sites reviews that Britannia Hotels have no interest in customer service at all. The amount of unresolved complaints is unbelievable. They need to be brought to task. I find it quite amusing the replies given to reviews . Most are standard meaning nothing. The few good ones are accepted as truthful but the critical ones are describes as "Dubious etc ". The fact that the hotels location is perfect stops it being the bottom of the pile.

I DO NOT WANT OTHERS TO SUFFER SIMILAR FATES. I SHOULD HAVE READ REVIEWS.

Comments and contacts welcome. ( Alex Sangham Britannia owner please !)

Trevor

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Trevor R
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your good comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters. Sometimes one has to experience the Hotel for them selves rather than rely on dubious inaccurate reports.

As for the niggles you mentioned I will ensure the Departmental Managers are briefed and that they resolve those issues.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Great weekend, we paid £139 for 2 of us dbb through uk breakaways, before we arrived i checked the reviews on here and i was dreading it to be honest, but reception staff friendly, the irish lad on the bar think he was called Damien was really friendly and helpfull, the bar is cheap, the holel is a little old fashioned but its an old building so you can expect that it does not smell of damp at all and is clean as far as i could see. The room was basic but clean bed was comfy and bed linen was spotless.The food, they cater for older people but it was all edible and there was plenty off it, you can get as much as you like ive had better but have also had a lot worse, the staff were friendly and efficent so in all it was a nice surprise, would definately return.!!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Most of all I was pleased that you felt we offered value for money and that the staff were helpful and friendly. The chef was particularly pleased to hear good feedback on the food quality. So often we just hear the negatives.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.