“TLC required worth a look”

Grand Metropole Hotel
Ranked #67 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“TLC required worth a look”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Well it's certainly true that this hotel is in need of some serious TLC but get past the first impression and look beyond the slightly off putting entrance and with an open mind you will be pleasantly surprised.
Check in was courteous and efficient. Good directions helped us find our room without a problem.
We had booked a sea view and there it was along with the prom and the Tower. It was great.
The room was clean, the furniture a little old fashioned but functional, there were spare pillows in the wardrobe. The bed was fresh and clean and the bathroom had been recently refurbished to a decent standard.
Breakfast was very good. Fruit, 5 cereals, all the usual hots well cooked and pots of tea or coffee delivered as required. Quite frankly I could not fault it.
All in all we enjoyed our 2 night stay. The public areas are a bit past it but beds, bathrooms and breakfast were all good and those are the bits that really matter.
The location was good for us, being near shops and tower.
It's not luxury but it is comfortable, excellent value and you won't go hungry.
Would stay again.

Room Tip: I would think that non sea view will overlook some fairly dreary shops.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your good comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters. Sometimes one has to experience the Hotel for them selves rather than rely on dubious inaccurate reports.

As for teh niggles you mentioned I will ensure teh Departmental Managers are briefed and resolve those issues.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,253)
Castle Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We checked out after one night food dreadful my little boys tomato sauce had someone else's food in it ,bedrooms very dirty including the sheets the staff were totally miserable , I read reviews before I booked but thought wed give it a chance as some people are hard to please not in this case sadly the bad reviews are spot on dont touch this place with a bargepole badly needs a clean and a face lift

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank shonaw202
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor.

Please accept my apologies for those aspects of your stay that you were un-happy with.

Your comments about the disappointing elements of you stay have been de-briefed with the appropriate personnel and corrective action taken as necessary.

Again thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback, and apologies again that it was necessary to do so.

General Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I stayed here recently,and had an enjoyable break, Fantastic location, handy for all the attractions,the tower, pier, trams etc, Comfortable, clean rooms attentive friendly staff, Superb food,i look forward to staying at the Metropole again, Highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters. Sometimes one has to experience the Hotel for them selves rather than rely on dubious inaccurate reports.

I was particulaly pleased to read that you felt the staff were pleasant and that your room was clean and comfortable.

Nelson, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This hotel is shabby at best. Grubby and in need of a face lift everywhere. On arrival staff were rude and totally unhelpful, they made you feel like it was an inconvenience to attend to you. The room was grubby no blind at the bathroom window! there was an old shoe and can on top of the bay window on the floor below us. The beds were four pieces of wood on castors, which you could see as the duvet only just covered the top of the bed. The lift was so smelly we did not use it. When I did go to reception I was told they were fully booked so it was that room only, I was spoken to it a very rude off hand way. I would never stay at this hotel again. I stayed in a sea view twin room with my adult daughter.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Diane H

Tyne & Wear
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We have been going to this hotel for at least the past 4 years and 4 or 5 times a year but, after the experience of the last 3 days, will be looking for somewhere else. On our 2nd night we were in the cabaret room and were confronted by what I can only describe as a mad woman, accompanied by 2 out-of-control kids, who began screaming at me for some imagined insult and then proceeded to scream and threaten my husband when he told her to leave me alone. Not one of the bar staff came over to help the situation and we were both left very un-nerved by the whole thing.
The next evening we were sitting having a quiet drink in the lounge when a very drunk and scruffy man sat right near us and proceeded to tell us his dole had been stopped, he had no gas or electricity and he was homeless (begs the question why he needed gas or electric but never mind!) and all the while he was drinking a pint of lager. Once again we had to get up and leave. That evening, on our way back to our room, my husband saw the same man in the cabaret room so, not wishing to have our evening ruined yet again, we stayed in our room. Then, during that night, someone attempted to open our door on 3 occasions. Needless to say we got up as early as possible the next morning and went home.
Something needs to be done about just anyone wandering in off the street, drunks being served more alcohol (which I thought was illegal) and paying guests being annoyed and accosted with no-one to help them. I have never experienced this sort of thing anywhere else, including abroad, and the management of this hotel seem to have no regard for the comfort or welfare of their paying guests.
The place is still in need of a deep clean but the staff do their best and Raychel and Paul on reception are brilliant. I do suggest, though, that a security guard is needed before something bad happens to someone there. There are a lot of older people that tend to return to this hotel and they should not be put at risk or upset by others when it could be avoided.

Room Tip: Don't forget to securely lock your door at night.
1 Thank Terri099

Linlithgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

By no means was this as bad as some of the reviews would lead you to believe, I am not saying it was perfect either, but for the price it was great value for money, even the parking at £3 a day was reasonable (I have paid twice the price for parking in Blackpool). We arrived on Sunday at 10:15am and I popped into reception to tell the receptionist we had parked up and were booked in for 4 days, he was friendly and polite and advised me that I could check in from 12:30 and would get access to our room at 15:00 hours. We returned to the hotel at 15:10 and were given our room key and a map of the hotel layout and information on meal times etc. Our room was not a sea view (224) but it was clean and smelled fresh, there was a bowl of fresh fruit and some lovely chocolates waiting for me (but I let the wife have some). The food was surprisingly good (to be fair all the food I had at the hotel was tasty, hot and plentiful). As for the staff they were polite and helpful, the dining room staff when I entered the dining area for breakfast always asked if I would like tea or coffee within a minute or so of us sitting down (we rose early and usually took breakfast at around 8am), at dinner they would approach and ask if we would like soup (we were in the Promenade for the 6:30 dinner). I saw the staff assisting mothers with children and bringing fish fingers, chicken nuggets etc. I often find that if you speak nicely to staff etc they will reciprocate. On the second night I asked for an iron and one was sent to the room along with an ironing board, the entertainment although short was good quality. My only really small gripe is that I paid for dinner with wine (worked out at £18 extra) and was given a voucher to get a bottle of wine from the bar. On perusing the bar prices I could have bought a bottle of wine for £12, that said I would definitely stay at the Grand Metropole again, superb location.

1 Thank Colin P
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I was particulaly pleased to read that you felt teh staff were pleasant and that you were well looked after.

Linlithgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

After reading the reviews I had decided that if things were not up to scratch I would leave immediately! I was pleasantly surprised! The reception staff were friendly and let us park our car and book in early. The public areas of the hotel are beautiful but in need of a little TLC. My room was lovely, smelt nice and had a lovely bowl of fresh fruit and yummy chocolates waiting for me! The dining room staff were plesant enough but could maybe do with a bit more training in customer care. If you are nice to people they are usually nice back to you! I thought the food was lovely and there was something for everyone! We stayed 4 nights D,B&B and thoroughly enjoyed it. The entertainment was a bonus. I think too many people spend their holidays looking for something to moan about...............what horrible holidays they must have. Would definitely go back as the location and the value for money were excellent!

1 Thank Liz P
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I was particulaly pleased to read that you felt teh staff were pleasant and that you got value for money.