“disgusting”

Grand Metropole Hotel
Ranked #70 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed 10 May 2014

took my 85yr old mum for 4 nights on 5th may. the Hotel is a Victorian building, so did't expect modern facilities, rooms were clean, staff were friendly. from then on things were bad. At 2am Tuesday , my mum phoned me saying she was freezing, I wet to her room and she was white with cold. we put blankets from our room . we told reception , they didn't seem bothered 'at least 20 other guests complained ' and told us they would never go back. after daily complaints they reluctantly put heating on for a few hours.

Room Tip: take a small portable heater with you, it is really that cold in this Hotel. and pay extra for a sea...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank davidpT6123ZQ
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor.

Please accept my apologies for those aspects of your stay that you were un-happy with.

Your comments about the disappointing elements of you stay have been de-briefed with the appropriate personnel and corrective action taken as necessary.

Again thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback, and apologies again that it was necessary to do so.

General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,864)

Reviewed 9 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Metropole over the easter holiday and we got I believe good value for money. The hotel has a car park that charges £3.00 per day per car ,we were lucky and got a space but I did notice that a number of guests were disappointed and had to park away from the hotel at I'm sure a much greater cost .
The entrance to the Hotel isn't the most welcoming with entry gained through a rather rundown conservatory area that serves as the bar and café during the day and leads to a rather unassuming reception . Once there however a look around the interior of the building reveals a décor that takes you back to Victorian times and despite an obvious lack of investment is still quite impressive.
Check in took less than ten minutes and was done at 1330hrs and not at 1500hrs as advertised. The staff on reception were quite professional but friendly and we were soon in our room on the first floor. There wasn't a view from the window in our room as the glass was frosted to help disguise the fact the window opened up onto the inner section of the building that housed all the pipework and heating ducts for the hotel ,which was also inhabited by a flock of pigeons that seemed noisier than the local population of seagulls . The room itself was a bit on the small side but was adequate enough for the two nights we were booked in for and the location on the first floor was great .
Meals were held in the Promenade restaurant and the fare was much as expected , it was buffet style and there was plenty of choice .Tea and coffee was served by waiters during breakfast but after the evening meal you had to go into the entertainment area where free tea and coffee was available ,it was however quite foul so we only tried it the once. Disappointingly there wasn’t any other option though as the café bar shut at 1730 hrs and the main bar didn’t serve hot drinks ,quite bizarre in this day and age .There is however a happy hour all day until round 2000hrs for a number of alcoholic drinks that was really appreciated by quite a number of the residents from what I saw .
The entertainment area is quite large and wasn’t full on either of the nights we were there but the singers were quite good and along with the inevitable bingo sessions we enjoyed the time we spent in there . All in all we enjoyed our time in the Metropole and would go back . There is a couple of things they could do to improve though . A bar that doesn’t serve hot drinks after 1730 is outdated as is a main hotel bar that shuts bang on 2300hrs , an increase in staff numbers would possibly allow the management to remedy that situation and perhaps improve the demeanour of a few of the staff who came across as pretty

Room Tip: Try and make sure you're not given room looking out over the main road as sleep can be disturbed...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters. Sometimes one has to experience the Hotel for them selves rather than rely on dubious inaccurate reports.

I was particulaly pleased to read that you, like me aoppreciated the olde worlde granduer.

We look forward to welcoming you back at some point in the future.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Arrived at hotel. Rude staff at check-in. No 'Welcome to the hotel' or 'Good Evening', all she managed was to give us no eye contact and state plainly and rudely 'How you paying debit or credit card?'.

Reception areas were nice but were in need of a good clean to say the least. Carpets in hallway en route to room were covered in all types of stains and the corridor smelt stale.

Upon entering the room - we could see that the carpet was covered in several stains, flaky paint and in certain areas - no paint left! Bed was rock hard with only a stained covered duvet - which by the colour I assume was a mix of blood and faeces. The windows were covered in dirt and grime which made them difficult to look out of and in the morning when the sun hit them - you could barely see a thing. There were big cracks in the walls and a stale smell to the room. Looking in the wardrobe the shelving was covered in dust - so decided against using them and decided to live out of the suitcase instead.

First night decided to go to the 'Entertainment area' - which the unclean smell hit you straight away. We approached the bar man who looked like he wanted to be anywhere but in work. We greeted with a very customer service inspired 'What do you want?' Needless to say we had one drink and left.

Breakfast was good as there was a help yourself style buffet so you could eat as much or as little as you wanted. However, the coffee and tea stainless steels pots would leak when you poured them making them a 'burns risk'. Restaurant manager always looked like she had just got out of bed, the staff were lethargic and lacked basic hospitality skills and manners; one was particularly unkempt in appearance and kept referring to everyone as 'mate'. The hardest working member of floor staff was a young pregnant lady who was very pleasant and hard working and a credit to the company.

When asking for items such as ironing boards, reception would not verbally respond and would walk away write it down on the 'to do' list. Left me waiting for a response and when she eventually lifted her head up she responded with a 'Yes?' As if my requests were clearly an inconvenience for her.

I made a complaint about the state of the corridor that my room where my room was located, which was covered in several take-away boxes and food litter. Again I simply had an 'Ok' and again back walked away to the 'to do list'. When we returned several hours later the rubbish remained in the corridor. There was never an apology made by a member of staff when a complaint was made.

I witnessed staff being rude to people while they were checking in on reception - I'm glad it wasn't just us!

Requested ironing board and iron. When itemed arrived I opened the door to a young lady who just stood there with an outstretched arm, holding the item. She didn't say anything, so I asked her where the ironing board was to which she complained about not being able to find one. When I asked her what was I going to iron on - she simply stated 'I don't know - I have already walked all the way down the corridor to give you the iron'. So I asked her if she could find one - she said she would try and find one. On her return I opened the door and she gave me the ironing board which was ripped and badly burnt and marked. She said 'It have to do, it's the only one I could find'!!!!!!

The outside of the hotel was covered in cigarette ends, where the receptacles hadn't been emptied. There was sick 2 metres from front door by the seating area on the Friday morning and it was still there on Monday - staff seemed to simply step over it.

The location was excellent - however as our room overlooked the road and several street lamps it was always bright even in the middle of the night the room glowed orange. There are several of Blackpool's biggest nightclubs and bars right outside the window of our room, so the noise was terrible well up until 4a.m. on the Sunday.

Overall feel really let down by this hotel who really need to learn what 'customer-focused service 'and hospitality standards are all about. If it wasn't Bank Holiday weekend and most of Blackpool's hotels being packed we would have gone elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Highkick
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Reviewed 6 May 2014

As I'm about to get a house in Blackpool I'm currently stopping in hotels and B&Bs this has to be one of the worst hotels I have ever stopped in the room at whisperer the shower fell apart the staff were very unfriendly and I would definitely not recommend going to this hotel I think the Metropole needs closing down revamping and then reopening the time yet you need to get your priorities right and customer service should be one of the first not sending your customers to dirty horrible rooms my room haven't even been cleaned the bed and you can be made and the room was still left in the same as the last guests and left it I reckon this is poor service and a management would not acknowledge this

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Well what can you say about this hotel. Being an ex-hotelier and landlord I was very disappointed in Brittannia's group of the hospitality industry. This hotel was dirty and unkempt , certain areas had terrible smells to them and carpets needed a bloody good clean, rooms were shoddy with stained carpets and bedding we couldn't see through windows because of the grime on them - best part of room was the shower which was fab.
now to staff 90% were rude and unsociable and could do with training in customer service ,on check in we were dealt with an older lady with blond hair and glasses who clearly had left her manners and personality at home first thing we were greeted with was How you paying debit or credit card? (sic). surely a hello or welcome would have been nice
if your hotel room is on main road side take ear plugs with you due to horrendous noise from bars and clubs opposite until 6 in the morning not advisable for families with young children.
The breakfast was lovely and plenty of it, but yet again the staff were a let down. by their lack of interaction with customers and lack of customer service skill .on the whole disappointed weekend accomada dation wise even tho a 2 star hotel standards need to be upheld but in this case they had gone through back door what a pity this could be a fantastic place maybe a change in leadership is required to get it as it should be. ps cleaners sweep front of hotel of all the cigarette butts or provide more or bigger bins.

Room Tip: unless improvements are made pay the extra and find another hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mike h

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Just come back from a one night stay, I wasn't expecting too much having read the reviews, however the room was clean and comfy, the hotel is "ok". The only advise I would give future guests is boom bed and breakfast and avoid the evening meal as it's just cheap and nasty. I had pre cooked sliced turkey covered in gravy, something which used to be cabbage, overcooked carrots, terrible roast potatoes. The pudding looked delicious but it was the worst rice pudding I have ever tasked, it appeared it had been made with water and not milk, and no sugar was added.

Stayed: May 2014

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I was particulaly pleased to read that you felt your room was clean and comfy.

We look forward to welcoming you back at some point in the future.

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Food bad bed not nice service bad no out look just not happy heating not working . Could be better not good fish hard and cake was not nice. If I come hear I would need a better room. Don't come it's the pits. I ask for a pen get at desk out front not very nice . Never taken case up . Shower over flowing bad . Milk in room coffee tea rubbish . Well I would not let my dog sleep hear. Price off drink bad and the staff not friendly .

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo