“nice old hotel with character”

Grand Metropole Hotel
Ranked #67 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
Bolton, United Kingdom
“nice old hotel with character”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I've just stayed at the metropole hotel for a stag night in Blackpool. The hotel was chosen because of it's proximity to the town centre.
I really like the older style hotels. Even though the Metropole has seen its best days the lobby area was clean. The twin room was large, pleasantly decorated and clean. The ed was also comfortable. The bathroom was large and had a really good powerful shower. A spa bath was also installed but not used. All for £65 a night forth two of us booked through an online agent. Additionally, car parking was also available costing £3. I‘be had to pay £15 a night in a public car pro before.
The only thing that let the hotel down was the gents toilets in the Lobby area. They need redecorating and could do with regular cleaning perhaps every couple of hours.
Because I live in Bolton, we have trips to Blackpool fairly often for stag nights etc. I will definitely stay at the Metropole again.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters. Sometimes one has to experience the Hotel for them selves rather than rely on dubious inaccurate reports.

I was particulaly pleased to read that you thought the car parking charges offered value for money.

We look forward to welcoming you back next year.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,265)
Elko, Nevada
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I implore you, PLEASE TAKE JUST A FEW MINUTES TO READ BEFORE BOOKING THIS HOTEL. Please also leave feedback back if you found it helpful or not.

I wish I had taken pictures as evidence of my experience

Our stay in this hotel was a horrible experience. I will start by saying that we were traveling through England with my in-laws and by brother in-law booked this room for us as well as his and his wifes' room. The booking took place via telephone and I was privy to his half of the conversation. I specifically heard him request non-smoking rooms (the receptionist would later allege that she told my brother in-law that they had no non-smoking rooms available, who knows for sure, two sides to every story). We arrived at the Grand Metropole in Blackpool, U.K. the evening of April 17th 2014 at around 9 or 10 o'clock in the evening.

First impressions of the property were not bad, just appeared to be in need of some updating, in my opinion. After checking in and making our way to our room we were immediately taken back by the overwhelming odor of cigarette smoke that seemed to engulf the entire floor. Upon arriving at our room and opening the door, my wife and I nearly gagged as the odor of cigarette smoke was exponentially worse inside the room than in the hallway which had already been quite repulsive. I immediately took my wife back to the area were the elevators were and the odor of smoke was least intense, and proceeded to the front desk to request a different room. The gentleman at the desk informed me that I would have to talk to a receptionist, but there would be no receptionist available until the next morning, too bad we were staying only for 1 night. I was shocked, amazed and left wondering what his duties actually were if not something to do with customer service/satisfaction.

I returned to my wife and proceeded back to the room, after hesitantly entering the room and turning on the lights I noticed that large patches of paint were peeling off the walls, upon pulling back the sheets on the bed we found terrible staining (who knows what the stains were from, hopefully just water), entering the bathroom was a sketchy proposition as the subfloor felt very weak, as if I might fall through to the next level, and I am not overly heavy.

After seeing the horrible state of disrepair of this room I immediately returned to the front desk, surely if the gentleman attendant were to see this room he could figure out a way to move us....NOPE. I was again told it would be up to the receptionist who would not be in until the next morning.

Increasingly frustrated I returned to the room and told my wife we would have to deal with it.

First thing the following morning I requested to see the hotel manager who was not immediately available but appeared in just a few minutes. Francis Sheridan, the manager, was a polite gentleman who patiently listened to my complaints, then took my contact information and told me the he would investigate and get back in touch with me later that same day.

Just a note on my contact information, it was written on a piece of the note paper as follows:

T.J. **********
T*************@gmail.com

On April 19th I finally got tired of waiting on Mr. Sheridan to get back to me so I wrote him at the email address on his business card, he replied with his original response written on the 18th but addressed to tj*********t**************@gmail.com (can you say common sense?). Needless to say I did not receive his email due his use of the incorrect email address. What follows is a complete dialogue between Mr. Sheridan and myself....I will let you form your own opinions

""""""Dear Mr. Sheridan,

I am writing in regards to our stay at your hotel the night of 17 April. As I mentioned during our conversation yesterday I was extememely disappointed and shocked at the state of disrepair our room was in, as well as the rank odor of stale cigarette smoke.

Additionally I am surprised that you don't have someone available on the night shift who has the ability to address such issues by offering a substitute room. Your night shift desk fellow was unable to address any of my concerns, I was left wondering what his duties actually were and for what he was being paid to do.

I am further disappointed in the fact the you assured me that you would be in contact with me via email yesterday and as of this morning have yet to hear from you.

I wonder if you had a chance to examine room 381? Obviously I do not know the condition of any other room in your hotel but can only hope that 381 is an exception to the rule with regard to it's horrible state of disrepair. If you visited the room I am sure you noticed the staining on the walls, paint falling off the walls, the dank odor, and the sub-flooring in such poor condition I was literally concerned for the safety of myself and my wife. If you actually visited this room I am sure you will find it in the best interest if your guests as well as your hotel and thereby the reputation of your property to close the room to guest access until proper repairs can be made.

I would very much like to hear from you regarding this matter and an appropriate resolution.

"""""Dear TJ, I have just received you e-mail. As you can see below I did send a mail yesterday to the address written on my pad. Clearly only the second part is your address.

In any case, you can see my response below.

Francis

Sent: 18 April 2014 13:31
To: tjb***************@gmail.com
Subject: FW:

Dear TJ,

Thank you for taking the time to speak to me this morning.

Please accept my apologies for the difficulties you experienced whilst staying with us recently.

Your comments with regard to the mal-odour in your room and the need to refurbishment have been de-briefed with the appropriate personnel and corrective action taken as necessary.

If and when you are next coming to Blackpool, we would be delighted to offer a very special rate, together with a Complimentary upgrade to a Premier room and Premier dining, subject to availability and minimum stay restrictions. Please contact my colleague Rachel, on ra*******************r@britanniahotels.com when you wish to make a booking.

Again thank you for taking the time to speak with my colleague, and my apologies again that it was necessary to do so.

Regards,

""""Thank you for the offer, unfortunately we are going back to the USA on the 23rd and will not likely return to England, let alone Blackpool. As such I would like to request a credit of the charges be returned to the credit card originally debited.

Once again thank you for your attention to this matter and my apologies for the confusion on the email address.

T. J.

""""""Dear TJ, I cannot make any other offer, over and above the one I have already made.

Regards,

""""""OK. I'll forward to you copies of reviews I place on every travel site I find. Poor service poor quality poor management. Be assured I'll be FAIR and HONEST, which is more than I can say for you.

Thank you for your time.

""""""Dear TJ, I have been fair and I have been honest. I'll look out for your feedback.

"""""No worries, I'll find my comfort knowing that the information I forward to the traveling public will cost your property, in revenue, far more than the few quid a refund would have.

Good Day.

I hope you have taken the time to read this, I also hope this was an isolated incident and not representative of the majority.

Room Tip: Ask to pre-view your room before you pay
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank TJ K
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor.

Please accept my apologies for those aspects of your stay that you were un-happy with.

Your comments about the disappointing elements of you stay have been de-briefed with the appropriate personnel and corrective action taken as necessary.

Again thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback, and apologies again that it was necessary to do so.

General Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed at the the Grand Metropole Hotel, in Blackpoool, from 15th June until 20th June. I was met by a friendly Receptionist when I booked in. The food had a good choice of each course every day.

The hot food was hot and the cold salads etc where chilled. The Reception/Bar area was kept clean at all times.

I had a seaview room with en suite. The Hotel is an old Hotel building, but full of character. All Staff were helpful at all times.

I was able to park my car at a fee, but much cheaper than parking in a public car park and far safer.

I would recommend this charming, full of character Hotel with pleasant Staff and Good Food. We wiould return again.

Happy Holiday.

Room Tip: Recommed Seaview Room - hearing the water splashing around with tides and the smell of the sea very...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Southampton2014
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I was particulaly pleased to read that you thought that all aspects of teh Hotel were to your liking.

We look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Dated poorly decorated grubby. Food was okay except sausage at breakfast felt sorry for staff in dinning room,on Saturday evening only two hard working friendly guys waiting tables . A large group turned up for evening meal (group staying in hotel)they were not prepared for so many diners. Our room had no shower fitting on taps in bath it looked like been removed and not put back ,wall paper peeling of wall bathroom had been papered over old paper, damp patches , no lock on door to bathroom,painted over. Beds comfortable and with large bay window over looking sea which sort of made up a little for the rest. Staff had couldn't careless attitude except for guys in dinning room who were friendly and couldn't do enough for residents. Was only £35 pound pp/pn and good location ,don't think we would return Margaret Barrow in Furness

Room Tip: Ask for sea view
1 Thank magsjim

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We had to queue for 40 minutes to check in, and there were a number of other guests waiting to complain about the state of their dirty and unpleasant rooms. We found our room & corridor smelled strongly of stale cigarette smoke. The room was not clean, and extremely scruffy, with dirty chairs and carpets, very old and battered furniture and the bed was as hard as a board. The windows in both the bedroom & bathroom did not fit properly, and a strong draught blew through them. However there was a nice sea view, but the bathroom was very cold despite the weather being warm, and there was no heating in the room. The cooked breakfast was adequate at best, and the staff barely spoke to us, and certainly didn't make eye contact. Two members of staff were complaining loudly about colleagues. The room cost £89 for the night, terrible value for money.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel.
1 Thank Beverley G

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Booked one night as part of a Superbreak trip for a concert. Very disappointed. Room was tiny, overlooking the extracts and bin yards and 'pigeon loft' as this was where all the pigeons met, so feathers and bird muck covered the windows.small old fashioned 12in TV, stained sheets, missing handles on the wardrobe, very uncomfortable bed which banged the headboard every time you rolled over. Had very little sleep, in fact my husband gave up at 4am and went to sleep on the sofas in reception! Service was poor, breakfast disappointing. So in summary, give this hotel a wide birth wen looking for somewhere to stay. One good point was the shower, as it was hot, couldn't wait to check out.

Room Tip: Don't book here

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

We booked our room for £60 a night, I think our cats bed is bigger. Smelly rooms. Hard beds. If you are reading this book in to a smaller hotel or a b and b. RUN DON'T DO IT!!!

the windows are bolted shut too and the bed is right next to the toilet.

Not enough space to swing a cat.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends