“Good value for money”

Grand Metropole Hotel
Ranked #70 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed in a superior roon. Any problems highlighted were dealt with quickly. Enjoyed the stay very much and will be booking again.
Good value on the £2 per pint before 7:45 but expensive after at £3.25.

• Stayed: June 2014
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters. Sometimes one has to experience the Hotel for them selves rather than rely on dubious inaccurate reports.

I was particulaly pleased to read that you thought you got value for money.

General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,864)

Reviewed 25 June 2014

The Grand Metropole gave us a nice room with sea and promenade views from a corner bay window, and the room was spacious. Bed was not comfortable. Only had a 14" CRT TV. Failed to make free Wifi work. Don't bother with dinner B&B packages, Food may be cheap but evening food pretty poor. B'fast was OK however. In house entertainment pretty wet - hard working single singer cabaret, followed by bingo that was cancelled as not enough cards sold, then taped Swing music. Had the huge dance floor to ourselves, so we entertained the 10 people in a 200 seater ballroom.
Good access to the beach and town. Off street parking was a bonus.
All in all, this was just a sleeping place for us and suited OK on location, price, and parking - so at a very low price its hard to complain, but certainly this would not be a place to choose for a full board short break or the in-house entertainment.

Room Tip: Rooms vary a lot, if they are not full ( and they were only 20% occupied at a guess when we were the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I was particulaly pleased to read that you thought we offered value for money.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

highly recommended!!we stayed here on the 14th june for 2nites.the room was excellent,very clean!! we got upgraded to a sea view room..i'd like to say a big thanks to paul for all your help on the phone sorting my smokers room out wot booking.com mess up!!.the staff are very helpful and very polite.brekkie was way better than i expected for the price we payed to stay in this beautiful old victorian hotel...thank you grand metropole for a nice stay..we'll defo be coming back to the grand metropole...kind regards,bobby boy!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I was particulaly pleased to read that you thought that Paul in particular was helpful.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

it was value for money. rooms were very clean and plenty of room. the entertainment was a delight to watch and the staff were very helpful and polite . i would highly recommend to friends and family and i LOVED the Gucci bath

Room Tip: look on the internet and the beautiful pictures
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I was particulaly pleased to read that you thought that the staff were helpful and polite.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We booked this hotel to attend a concert in Blackpool. We've stayed in Blackpool many times, but never at this one. We arrived a bit later than anticipated and had to queue around 20 minutes to check in but once we got there the receptionist was efficient and friendly. The cost was £61 with credit card fee which was for bed and breakfast.
Our room was the tiniest hotel room I've ever stayed in with a three quarter bed, small wardrobe, large bedside table, dressing table and a TV stand which was a lot of furniture for such a tiny space. Fortunately we weren't hanging around in there so went out more or less immediately.
We returned to the hotel around 11.30 from the concert to find the place like a ghost town. Hardly a single person around and no bars or entertainment still available. Not sure if this is the norm but on a Friday night in June we would have expected at least a residents bar.
The building is a large old Victorian pile and some parts of it still retain some of it's original splendour. Unfortunately it has been left to deteriorate in many parts and some of the grand furniture looks a bit drab.
Our room was on the ground floor at the front where the tram lines run. I have to say that we did not hear a lot of noise and the first time I noticed the trams was around 5.30 in the morning when I assume they start getting ready for the day. We were very tired from a long day and slept reasonably well although the bed was not the most comfortable. The bathroom was clean and my husband had a shower in the morning and he said the pressure was good and the water was hot.
Breakfast is served in a very large two-part dining room. We met reasonable pleasant staff who were quick to seat us and ask what we wanted to drink. The food is buffet style and very average, didn't try the toast which was just left out for people to help themselves. Check out was easy and quick although I has to report a lack of a hairdryer in the room (which I had been assured was available) as I didn't want anyone to think I'd walked off with it.
Overall it is such a shame for this wonderful building to be left to deteriorate. The possibilities for it to be a lovely hotel, right on the front with lovely sea views is obvious. Need some serious investment.

Room Tip: Don't know as there may be better rooms that the one we stayed in.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rosa C

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I was particulaly pleased to read that you thought that the staff were helpful.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I've just stayed at the metropole hotel for a stag night in Blackpool. The hotel was chosen because of it's proximity to the town centre.
I really like the older style hotels. Even though the Metropole has seen its best days the lobby area was clean. The twin room was large, pleasantly decorated and clean. The ed was also comfortable. The bathroom was large and had a really good powerful shower. A spa bath was also installed but not used. All for £65 a night forth two of us booked through an online agent. Additionally, car parking was also available costing £3. I‘be had to pay £15 a night in a public car pro before.
The only thing that let the hotel down was the gents toilets in the Lobby area. They need redecorating and could do with regular cleaning perhaps every couple of hours.
Because I live in Bolton, we have trips to Blackpool fairly often for stag nights etc. I will definitely stay at the Metropole again.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I was particulaly pleased to read that you thought the car parking charges offered value for money.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I implore you, PLEASE TAKE JUST A FEW MINUTES TO READ BEFORE BOOKING THIS HOTEL. Please also leave feedback back if you found it helpful or not.

I wish I had taken pictures as evidence of my experience

Our stay in this hotel was a horrible experience. I will start by saying that we were traveling through England with my in-laws and by brother in-law booked this room for us as well as his and his wifes' room. The booking took place via telephone and I was privy to his half of the conversation. I specifically heard him request non-smoking rooms (the receptionist would later allege that she told my brother in-law that they had no non-smoking rooms available, who knows for sure, two sides to every story). We arrived at the Grand Metropole in Blackpool, U.K. the evening of April 17th 2014 at around 9 or 10 o'clock in the evening.

First impressions of the property were not bad, just appeared to be in need of some updating, in my opinion. After checking in and making our way to our room we were immediately taken back by the overwhelming odor of cigarette smoke that seemed to engulf the entire floor. Upon arriving at our room and opening the door, my wife and I nearly gagged as the odor of cigarette smoke was exponentially worse inside the room than in the hallway which had already been quite repulsive. I immediately took my wife back to the area were the elevators were and the odor of smoke was least intense, and proceeded to the front desk to request a different room. The gentleman at the desk informed me that I would have to talk to a receptionist, but there would be no receptionist available until the next morning, too bad we were staying only for 1 night. I was shocked, amazed and left wondering what his duties actually were if not something to do with customer service/satisfaction.

I returned to my wife and proceeded back to the room, after hesitantly entering the room and turning on the lights I noticed that large patches of paint were peeling off the walls, upon pulling back the sheets on the bed we found terrible staining (who knows what the stains were from, hopefully just water), entering the bathroom was a sketchy proposition as the subfloor felt very weak, as if I might fall through to the next level, and I am not overly heavy.

After seeing the horrible state of disrepair of this room I immediately returned to the front desk, surely if the gentleman attendant were to see this room he could figure out a way to move us....NOPE. I was again told it would be up to the receptionist who would not be in until the next morning.

Increasingly frustrated I returned to the room and told my wife we would have to deal with it.

First thing the following morning I requested to see the hotel manager who was not immediately available but appeared in just a few minutes. Francis Sheridan, the manager, was a polite gentleman who patiently listened to my complaints, then took my contact information and told me the he would investigate and get back in touch with me later that same day.

Just a note on my contact information, it was written on a piece of the note paper as follows:

T.J. **********
T*************@gmail.com

On April 19th I finally got tired of waiting on Mr. Sheridan to get back to me so I wrote him at the email address on his business card, he replied with his original response written on the 18th but addressed to tj*********t**************@gmail.com (can you say common sense?). Needless to say I did not receive his email due his use of the incorrect email address. What follows is a complete dialogue between Mr. Sheridan and myself....I will let you form your own opinions

""""""Dear Mr. Sheridan,

I am writing in regards to our stay at your hotel the night of 17 April. As I mentioned during our conversation yesterday I was extememely disappointed and shocked at the state of disrepair our room was in, as well as the rank odor of stale cigarette smoke.

Additionally I am surprised that you don't have someone available on the night shift who has the ability to address such issues by offering a substitute room. Your night shift desk fellow was unable to address any of my concerns, I was left wondering what his duties actually were and for what he was being paid to do.

I am further disappointed in the fact the you assured me that you would be in contact with me via email yesterday and as of this morning have yet to hear from you.

I wonder if you had a chance to examine room 381? Obviously I do not know the condition of any other room in your hotel but can only hope that 381 is an exception to the rule with regard to it's horrible state of disrepair. If you visited the room I am sure you noticed the staining on the walls, paint falling off the walls, the dank odor, and the sub-flooring in such poor condition I was literally concerned for the safety of myself and my wife. If you actually visited this room I am sure you will find it in the best interest if your guests as well as your hotel and thereby the reputation of your property to close the room to guest access until proper repairs can be made.

I would very much like to hear from you regarding this matter and an appropriate resolution.

"""""Dear TJ, I have just received you e-mail. As you can see below I did send a mail yesterday to the address written on my pad. Clearly only the second part is your address.

In any case, you can see my response below.

Francis

Sent: 18 April 2014 13:31
To: tjb***************@gmail.com
Subject: FW:

Dear TJ,

Thank you for taking the time to speak to me this morning.

Please accept my apologies for the difficulties you experienced whilst staying with us recently.

Your comments with regard to the mal-odour in your room and the need to refurbishment have been de-briefed with the appropriate personnel and corrective action taken as necessary.

If and when you are next coming to Blackpool, we would be delighted to offer a very special rate, together with a Complimentary upgrade to a Premier room and Premier dining, subject to availability and minimum stay restrictions. Please contact my colleague Rachel, on ra*******************r@britanniahotels.com when you wish to make a booking.

Again thank you for taking the time to speak with my colleague, and my apologies again that it was necessary to do so.

Regards,

""""Thank you for the offer, unfortunately we are going back to the USA on the 23rd and will not likely return to England, let alone Blackpool. As such I would like to request a credit of the charges be returned to the credit card originally debited.

Once again thank you for your attention to this matter and my apologies for the confusion on the email address.

T. J.

""""""Dear TJ, I cannot make any other offer, over and above the one I have already made.

Regards,

""""""OK. I'll forward to you copies of reviews I place on every travel site I find. Poor service poor quality poor management. Be assured I'll be FAIR and HONEST, which is more than I can say for you.

Thank you for your time.

""""""Dear TJ, I have been fair and I have been honest. I'll look out for your feedback.

"""""No worries, I'll find my comfort knowing that the information I forward to the traveling public will cost your property, in revenue, far more than the few quid a refund would have.

Good Day.

I hope you have taken the time to read this, I also hope this was an isolated incident and not representative of the majority.

Room Tip: Ask to pre-view your room before you pay
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank TJ K
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor.

Please accept my apologies for those aspects of your stay that you were un-happy with.

Your comments about the disappointing elements of you stay have been de-briefed with the appropriate personnel and corrective action taken as necessary.

Again thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback, and apologies again that it was necessary to do so.