“Beware worst hotel I have ever seen”

Grand Metropole Hotel
Ranked #70 of 72 Hotels in Blackpool
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“Beware worst hotel I have ever seen”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We have just come back form staying at this hotel (28/07/14)
We were very disappointed with the interior of the hotel very tired. The carpet In our room was thread bear in places. The food was disgusting the evening meals were done on the cheap. The breakfast was edible but the scrambled egg had no taste and the orange juice was watered down. The staff were glum no welcome smiles. I am very surprised that such a big company like National Holidays who we booked with bothers with such a bad hotel chain. I don't think Britannia Hotels cares as long as National Holidays keep sending people to their hotels.
Don't spend your hard earned cash on staying here.

Room Tip: Just don't go there Beware
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Caroline D
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor.

Please accept my apologies for those aspects of your stay that you were un-happy with.

Your comments about the disappointing elements of you stay have been de-briefed with the appropriate personnel and corrective action taken as necessary.

Again thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback, and apologies again that it was necessary to do so.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,250)
Cannock, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Well what can I say we got there looked ok but tired grand entrance they gave us a room key we took one look and phoned the reception to tell them this is nothing like the pictures on the web page it was so small after a chat they said come back up we have another room we went it was in the Bowles of the hotel no windows nothing I felt like I was being buried alive so back we went and was given a third key now we are easily pleased but this place smelt really bad you can smoke on level 3 I thought every hotel was none smoking to be told we don't class this as a public area at this point I was just so stressed we asked to see the manager to get a full refund and find some where else we had wasted over an hour there after a struggle to get a refund and I must say we weren't thee only ones waiting for one we got it so no don't bother with this hotel oh and the car parking said on the booking FREE well it's not you pay £3 a day for it if you can get on first come first served so to speak I have added some pictures I took from the reception area while waiting for the manager it was disgusting and the smell was gross over flowing bins sink area not been cleaned rubbish every where toilet paper in what looked and smelt like urine all on the toilet floor I have looked to put the pictures on to show you but cannot find how to do it

Room Tip: Don't bother
Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kym S

General Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Britain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed here in late July 2014 for a couple of days ...I was enticed by the millions of pounds spent on a recent refit , location was good and price was good .
Little supported the millions spent on refit line , place was full of an older Blackpool crowd that I must admit I thought was long gone . THough I slept like a log the minute I awoke my day at the hotel was dreadful . It's an old hotel and it feasts on past glories ...

Room Tip: Check out and move to The Imperial
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

My family stayed here for our holiday, I found nothing really wrong with it. We stayed on the third floor and found the room to be fine and clean, breakfast again was fine and we had no problems getting seats and we will return next year to this hotel.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Conor_McCorry
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters. Sometimes one has to experience the Hotel for them selves rather than rely on dubious inaccurate reports.

I was particulaly pleased to read that you thought that everything was up to standard and clean.

We look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Warrington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Old shabby and in need of a good overall, thought i was back in the 40s or 50s. Would of been better staying in a small guest house.carpits walls everything dirty. Stunk to high heaven, nearly made my wife sick

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wirestillidie

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

This has got to be 1 of the worst hotels I've stayed in... On arrival the car park was a complete joke we was lucky we even got a spot.. We was placed on the 3rd floor and had a sea view room.. Carpets leading to our room was stained and littered.. The room was nice and big but furniture was very dated which wasn't really a problem.. Old style telly with 7 channels.. Room was not clean.. I noticed that someone had put a cross in the mirror of the dresser... Bathroom appeared to be clean up on closer inspection there was smears of poop around the toilet roll dispenser... There were hairs on the wall of the shower... And the bath mat just needed to thrown away.. Never mind about people slipping id be more worried about them getting a fungal infection... The mag was full of mould... The shower curtain had makeup finger prints on it... There was no disposable shower cap..but there was 1 left behind the door where it had been used by other guest...the windows and the curtains were dirty.. The bedding smelt.. The breakfast is ok a little greasy... The kitchen staff look grubby and need to change their overalls more often.. And for gods sake smile... Such unpleasant staff.. Not welcoming... No conversation... All in all a very unpleasant stay.... I would not advise any1 to stay here

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view and for them to clean the room before you go in
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sonia G

Nuneaton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

I stopped at this hotel for the first time on recommendation from my mother in law ,who has used this hotel for years until she became disabled . I booked direct with the hotel who were totally accommodating to my needs ( for mum in particular ) and we were given two excellent rooms which were always clean ,with fresh towels and a really nice ,friendly and helpful maid Anita ) who gave us excellent service .Beds were clean ,Pillows could be a little softer but in all these rooms were cleaned everyday or tidied . The restaurant staff were very helpful and as mum could not make breakfast I was allowed to take up her toast and jam and extra milk if needed .Breakfast had plenty of choice as was the evening meal . the carpets were not sticky AS Craig G implied . I think for those that made bad reviews, want to get a life and stop bad mouthing a perfectly acceptable hotel .They must go all out to cause unrest wherever they go and take great joy in slagging things off . they only look for the bad .This is a true review of my stay and i do not accept any old thing ,I will definitely book again Ann jones

Room Tip: front facing rooms with sea view/corner suites
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Choices F
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I was particulaly pleased to read that you thought Anita was helpfull.

We look forward to welcoming you back.