Grand Metropole Hotel
Ranked #70 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We paid £90 for a double bed in a single room right next to the main road. And breakfast was rubbish.straight across from our room on the other side of the road was nightclubs so when the traffic noise got less the noise from people and the clubs got worse.

Room Tip: Dont get a ground floor room unless it has a seaview
1  Thank goldwing95
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor.

Please accept my apologies for those aspects of your stay that you were un-happy with.

Your comments about the disappointing elements of you stay have been de-briefed with the appropriate personnel and corrective action taken as necessary.

Again thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback, and apologies again that it was necessary to do so.

General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,864)

Reviewed 1 September 2014

Having booked a no smoking twin room for our 3 night stay, I was very disappointed to be allocated a dingy smoking room where the nicotine was clinging to the walls and our clothes within seconds. I made a polite representation to the Duty manager and confirmed with her that my booking was indeed for no smoking. She advised me that no other rooms were available and that this was the only option. The inference from her reply was that It was because I checked in late, when I enquired if this meant an allocation on arrival policy and where was that stated in T&C's, irrespective of booking criteria she became impolite, insiting that I wasn't listening and that as the fee paying customer I was to blame-relying on the failure of Bookings.com to advise- which I subsequently learnt was not the case. Quite ridiculous. In fairness the DM did try sister hotels but as this was the Wednesday prior to Blackpool light switch on.. all were booked. Which left me the unenviable task of trying to find accomodation for my son and I at 11PM at night.
Totally unacceptable, totally unproifessional. Avoid this hotel it is awful

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ohitsaidwalker

Reviewed 1 September 2014

When we arrived staff were very good and new all about the booking I had made.all staff very helpful.i would go back to this hotel.its a very handed for the main shopping area and trams routes.also main areas lots of food places

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank simon o
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2014

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters. Sometimes one has to experience the Hotel for them selves rather than rely on dubious inaccurate reports.

I was particulaly pleased to read that you thought we offered value for money.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

We were booked into it's sister hotel the Savouy but at the last minute due to over booking of double rooms ( they had double booked ) we were asked to move to double rooms at the Metropole , were we were promptly given a twin room . The hotel is shabby at best needs hundred's of thousand's of pound's spent on it to bring it up to average , this i am afraid is a typical Britannia hotel totally depends on quick turnover of coach trips to survive if you know this then i don't see a problem if you don't well........Only staff i saw were on the desk on arrival the lady was as helpful as is possible on check out oh dear we had a problem lost our car keys ( yes i know stupid ) asked the girl at the desk on 4 separate occasions if they had been handed in to be told NO in between searching the hotel and grounds then my wife bumped into a manager who asked what the problem was then he promptly went and found the keys in the office this escapade sums up the Metropole

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
2  Thank plummys2900
joepiper, General Manager at Grand Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Reviewed 1 September 2014

I booked a two night stay for a group of 3 people to share a 'premier family room'. My heart sank as I walked in the door. The smell of tobacco smoke was everywhere. When I checked in I was optimistic that the room would be OK. The room was at the very far end of the hotel away from reception and the further I went into the hotel the stronger the smell got. The room was indeed a sea view but you couldn't see the sea because of the filth on the windows. There was an ashtray on the coffee table and the lingering smell of tobacco smoke all over the room. There were damp patches on the wall/ceiling and stains on the white quilt cover. One of the chairs had a broken leg. It was just awful. I went to reception to ask if they could offer a different no smoking room but they said they didn't have a request from me for a non smoking room. I had not realised that one one have to REQUEST a non smoking room in this day and age. I stupidly thought ALL hotel rooms would be no smoking. The only saving grace is that they had no qualms about refunding the cost of the room in full. I only wish I had read some of the reviews on here before I booked the hotel. Big mistake.

Room Tip: Don't book the hotel in the first place.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Gail G

Reviewed 1 September 2014

This place is a dump and in need of major refurbishment. Unhelpful receptionist when asked advice as to where to park as the limited parking was full. Room had damp stains on the walls and dirt in the corners of the bathroom. TV was so small you needed a telscope to see it when sat on the bed and the remote had had the battery nicked. Overall very unconfortable feel about it. Carpet in the corridor to the room had more coffee stains then clean carpet.
If you like grease with your breakfast, then fill your boots this is the place to eat, but if you like living and dont want an instant blockage of the arteries give it a wide berth and find somewhere else. Its agreat shame that the management have let the place fall into this condition, as the location is great, if you like Blackpool that is. My dealings with the management have left a lot to be desired as well, the General Manager has a different opinion of what goes on to reality. Will definately not be going near the place again, until it has undergone major refurbishment and that is not just a coat of paint around the place.
If you dont believe me read some of the other damming reviews on this site

Room Tip: Give the place a miss
2  Thank Allan W

Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel with a friend and my two sons last month. Having read previous reviews my expectations weren't too high and it was exactly as I anticipated and the majority of reviews are correct. The service was strange, all staff grubby looking and receptionist as miserable as sin which doesn't make for a great start. Thankfully the one on the way out had a smile but so did we as we were leaving. The room was large but dated and dirty, needed a good dust and the edges of the carpets had never seen a Hoover in years. The food was acceptable for what we paid but was canteen like and unorganised. This could be made a stunning building with
Lots of investment but I'm guessing they already have an established market who will put up with what it offers. Don't even attempt to get in the car park as when it's full they won't open the barrier and your become stuck on the tram tracks. Needless to say I won't be staying again and it has put me off Britannia hotels.

• Stayed: August 2014