“never again”

Tiffany's Hotel Blackpool
Ranked #38 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed 19 November 2009

we have stayed at this hotel twice, the first time a few years ago and it was fine. the breakfeasts where supberb but the eveing meal was very limited .went back again for the lights and was very disapointed with alot of things ,ie the food we had to go out and find a chipshop because we was all hungrey within an hour of eatinig in cluding my son who isnt the best eater anyway. so never again

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank frazierMerseyside

Reviewed 31 October 2009

It should have acted as a warning when I had to pay in full on arrival. This is because most people would simply do a u-turn on seeing their "family room" and head for the nearest decent hotel, but hey ! - once you've paid they've got you by the proverbials haven't they ? The other warning that again on check in I had to wait a good ten minutes whilst the ever so unhelpful staff "handled" the complaints from people ahead of me in the queue. Ten minutes after paying in full and going to my third floor "family" room I was the one waiting to queue to complain.

The rooms are at best described as dated, small, shabby and insufficient; at worse a total disgrace which Blackpool trading standards should be jumping all over Tiffany's owners for mis-representing themselves with. I booked a family room for two adults and three children (5 people.....) I recieved a room measuring approx 15ft x 12ft with a double and two single beds squeezed in. There was no shower.

I questioned this at reception and was told due to me recieving a free child place then one of the children had to share a single bed. I was given one of those plug on tap adaptors to act as a shower. The hotel staff had obviously heard it all before and deflected every single complaint made from myself and other guests; definately giving the impression they'd been there, done that. There was even a notice that any guest "abusing" them would be checked out immediately. Ask yourself, why issue such a notice on the reception counter....??? Answer - because the hotel is so dismal the staff are bound to encounter guests who realise they've been had......

The reception area itself is certainly not repersentative of the majority of the hotel as it's clean, bright, tastefully furnished and modern. As soon as you go up the stairs to the accomodation floors the reality hits home. The corridors are dark, tattered, dismall and very 70's, the carpets chewed and worn. The bar area is adaequate for the size hotel but be prepared for nightly bingo and cabaret, which in fairness is ok. If you're looking to have a quiet drink then there are only two small ante-rooms of which one is a tv room. There's also a small (smelly) games room with a pool table that has a ripped surface, air hockey and ping-pong table made from a slab of wood with a cardboard net. Drinks prices are only slightly more expensive than pub prices (Stella @ £3/pint).......

My conclusion and recommendation would be for any prospective traveller to shop around, don't be fooled by the images published on Tiffany's website and if you do actually book then request one of the rooms on the website - which will undoubtedly be at an additional charge. If you do go ahead and book then don't bother complaining when you see the reality - the staff are far to seasoned and experienced in dealing with such issues and have a well versed, well rehersed and well worn answer for anything you may throw at them.

Any good points ? The food isn't bad. It isn't exceptional either, but perfectly edible and served with speed and courtesey by the extremely efficient restaurant staff. Apart from that, no - there are no good points.

In an earlier review of Tiffany's it was mentioned that the place is not much more than a £15pppn Bed and b/b/em and I would strongly agree - it by no means meets the image it portrays of itself and was a total let down. A bit like buying a plane ticket to fly first class, only to find after checking in you've been allocated a space in the cargo hold......

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank orlando08Manchester
Reviewed 30 October 2009

we checked in to a modern clean reception area , and had to pay on arrival which i found odd!went up the creaky stair case to rm 225, it was like going in to a time warp!! very dated and old fashioned and didnt feel too clean either. looked into the bathroom and never seen a pink suite like it since 1960! also a leak around the bottom of the basin .tripped over the threshold plate and ripped my sock on way out which surely is health and safety for a start.we paid extra for a seaview but couldnt sit in the bay as a gale force wind blowing through. tried to draw curtain but they nearly fell down so had to leave them open all night. they must of turned heating of thru the night as we had to sleep in clothes it was that cold.then when making the bed in the morning there was 3 or 4 fruit shoot lids under the bed and had to wipe the splashbak in the bathroom and clean the bath BEFORE we got in it ,so the room was pretty grotty. also in reception the is a tvescreen showing the rooms in the hotel which are certainly not as they are and on the internet they are giving a false appearance as they dont show the dated rooms. the food was ok but very militery style one night was lasgne and the chef just slopped in on the plates and were trying to rush everyone.
t

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank tiffanyNorthants
Reviewed 14 October 2009

The reception and bar staff were very pleasant and helpful. Its a shame the managers and restaurant staff were unhelpfull and very off handish.
The Seaview room with its white curtains just enhanced the pink neon Tiffany's sign and spot light! The shower was held together with masking tap.
I have never experience such rudeness from a manager in a hotel as I did in the breakfast room. We arrived for breakfast at 8.20am only to be told breakfast didn't start till 8.30am. As I had a meeting at 9am this was unacceptable.The manager must have been cold as he was wearing a scaff . He stuggled to speak let alone be civil.
I did complain and was told the owner would contact me. I am not holding my breath its been over two weeks!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank paxie1966
Reviewed 27 September 2009

Have just returned from a weekend away with a friend and was very pleased. Having read the reviews was wandering what we would find but we are the type of people to make our own opinion. I think some people go away with a bad attitude and not happy unless they have something to moan about. If you have a happy disposition you find it rubs off on people around you. If you want 5 star facilities go and pay the price. As for the rude staff we never met one and could not fault them at all, nothing was too much trouble. We had 2 separate single rooms which unfortunately were not together. They were not brilliant but very clean. The lift was an old style but served it's purpose. Yes my tv was a bit dated but my friends room had a brand new flat screen. In any case do you want to go away and watch tv?? We booked bed and breakfast and found the breakfast very enjoyable. We took the opportunity of booking an evening meal and found this to be very good value and very tasty. Varied range of age groups and did not stay in to see the entertainment so cannot comment but there seemed to be many people there to watch it. Plenty of parking and not sure about the slope someone commented on. Will definitely go back again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank adwheeler
Reviewed 2 September 2009

room was cold dont be fooled by internet room pictures its not what you get shower did not work properly kettle did not work staff unhelpful food was good and the dinind staff were nice receptionist was rude could have reported her there and then but it was a relax holiday for us we did not need the hassel entertainment was terrible people were coming from other hotels but went out again as it was so poor a lot of money paid for a week of nothing but faults will not be returning

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Well after the three hour drive me & my boyfriend arrived outside Tiffany's hotel at the time we didn't really think anything because we where tired & I was sick of driving. There is quite adequate free parking on the front, which is on a very steep slope I am, glad we where there in the middle of May because in the peak time I doubt we would have got a space. We got to the reception desk got our key & set about finding our room. We went to the lift & realised it was one of these old pull across metal door lifts & I thought right here we go. As soon as we got to the third floor we finally found our room at the end of a very long corridor. Ours was ok to find but there was lots of people wandering around looking for there rooms we even had to help a couple get to there's because it was next door to ours but further back. The doors where so small as well you would never get a wheelchair though any of them.
Finally we got into our room & it was quite impressive it was large with a four poster bed in a twin wardrobe, twin bedside cabinets, a TV, chest of drawers, tea making facilities, telephone & of course the bathroom. The bedroom was decorated quite old fashion with a very flowery bed spread & matching curtains with a very dull coloured carpet ok this maybe nice by some peoples standards but not really by mine I tend to like modern things but I thought ok I am in an English hotel here don't be so picky.
After all there was a large window with a sea view.
So I put a smile on & said oh this is nice isn't it to my boyfriend who is usually easily pleased. The first thing we did was explore the bathroom & the first thing that ruined it for me was that I stood on a sharp piece dividing the rooms you know where the metal divider usually is well it wasn't there so I was in quite a bit of pain because I hate hurting my feet I always fear infections. When we looked in the bathroom though some of the tiles where a bit grubby I am not picky but this really put me off but I am afraid the worst is yet to come. My boyfriend ran the Jacuzzi bath to find all bits floating in the water so we took the plug out & went out. When we arrived back there where all bugs coming out of the plug hole so I got my boyfriend to run the bath again but the bits where still there, so the only reason we actually went to the hotel was looking even more silly. We where not going to let this get us down so we went down to dinner & then went straight to bed, there was evening entertainment but we didn't stick around I think they have a lot of tribute acts but we where just to tired to be bothered. The next day we awoke happy & refreshed for another day everything was great we went shopping spent lots of money & ate loads of sugary things, which was great until we wanted a cup of tea when we got back. We found that the kettle was actually broken so we called someone to fix it, a porter came took it away for five minutes & personally I think he brought the same one back because it still didn't work! We decided then to report the problem with the bath. The porter filled the bath looked & said oh it looked like lime scale & said we just had to keep filling it up & getting it out! Well by now I had had enough & reported it properly to the reception where she said she could change our room for one night but it wouldn't have a four poster but we could not be bothered for one night & it was getting quite late so we just forgot about it. The next morning we checked out & I reported the incident & asked for a refund on the extra we had paid for the facilities we didn't receive, & all we where given was a poxy £10 each!! What an insult she said if it wasn't good enough I should take it up with the manager who has apparently just authorised this so I asked to speak to him & she said I would have to ring up!!!! What away to treat guests! I went away from the hotel very annoyed & a bit disappointed I found the staff very unhelpful & not really bothered about the guests. I was upset because it wasn't about the money but it was meant to be a special occasion & it just ruined it what was meant to be a romantic weekend turned out terrible & I would definitely not visit Tiffany's again & to be honest I will have to think hard about taking a weekend break in the UK ever again because if this hotel is anything to go by I wouldn't want to waste my money.
UPDATE
I wrote to the hotel manager about our ordeal & It was not nearly as much of a rant as this review was & I didn't think I would get a reply but low & behold within a week they had written back but to be honest I wish they hadn't have bothered. They basically accused of lying & saying the bath probably was ok on the Friday as we didn't report it (at 11pm at night!!) I thought this was terrible customer service I nearly wrote back to tell them exactly what I thought of there hotel but it didn't seem worth it they obviously where not bothered about there guests.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MidlandsTrolleydolly