“Birthday weekend” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 72 Hotels in Blackpool
MANCHESTER
“Birthday weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Just returned from my birthday weekend with my hubby. Easy check-in and seat allocation for the talk of the coast, given a pass for the carpark and directed to our room. Comfortable clean room with tea and coffee could have done with some biscuits though. Shower over the bath and if you want a mat for in the bath you get them from reception. Evening meal you are shown to you seat and that is yours for all your trip. Meals great choice of starter and main, and help yourself to deserts. Buffet breakfast loads of choice. Great stay already booked for the New Year.

Room Tip: Sea views are extra but I dont want to sit in my room
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Cottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Stayed one night Monday 14th October to try before i book again and found the hotel excellent
staff pleasant obliging entertainment was good apart for comedian 2nd turn resident compare and dancers very good also the female singer drinks were not expensive pint of premium lager slimline
tonic £5.00 This was a Monday place was full of residents no kids Will be going again forgot to mention food A1

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Had an amazing time. Staff excellent very friendly. Entertainment 5* can't fault anything xx

The only thing we would have liked to of had. To be able to watch TV in the bar. More things to do during the day there xx
Food excellent xx

We are will be back

B Mclaughlin

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mags M
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

just got back from a 4 day break at this hotel, ist time to blackpool. hotel staff friendly linen and room clean, food great and entertainment superb, buddy lee was brilliant and interacted with the audience with charm and witty comments, the dancing group the sensations who wore top class costumes were enchanting. all supporting acts singers and comedians were as good as you can get anywhere. I will try and return when I have ticked off others on my bucket list... the ballroom and tower not to be missed... mo haggerty

Room Tip: for an extra £8 pppr moved too sea view which we thought was worth it
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mohaggerty
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

This hotel was where my sister and myself stayed on a recent short break for 3 nights. Although a little basic the room was clean and had a great view from the window of the sea. We were impressed with the friendliness of the staff and the cleaning staff were exceptional in our opinion. Tea and Coffee making facilities and a flat screen TV on the wall made the room easy to relax in in between outings (if you like your tea and coffee I suggest to bring your own as no branded samples are provided) The food was very good but the short time span from 6pm to 7.30 did mean you had to eat between those times even if you were hungry or not and have to say made me feel like I was rushed with staff laying the tables for breakfast before I had finished my evening meal. A little like a conveyor belt system to be honest but the waiting staff did their job well and efficiently. Breakfast was a little more relaxed with self service breakfasts of all sorts, fruit, cooked food and cereal etc. a very good choice. Not sure what the juice was and the coffee and tea very weak but good polite service throughout. We were allocated a table upon arrival for our stay which was a bit 'Butlins' style which I didn't like and also the table next to us was only about 2 inches away from mine making me feel as if I had to talk in hushed tones to my sister, there was no privacy at all when eating. If you wanted wine with your meal you had to buy it from the bar first and then take it in with you, not been to a hotel before where I had to do that. Not a great selection of wine either but have to say the prices were fairly good for hotel prices. The hotel was like a furnace as well especially in the bar area by the dining room, we sat in there the first night for a pre dinner drink and it was quite unbearable. The hotel is in a transition of refurbishment and it is looking very nice in some areas, be lovely when it is all finished I would think. The hotel is quite old and creaky with a confusing amount of stairs and corridors but they do at least have a lift to use if you wish so it seems as though the guests staying are being accommodated as best as possible. The club downstairs could be accessed via inside the hotel or outside too and we spent one evening there during our stay. The entertainment was quite good with a resident comedian a singer and dancers and later another comedian joined the first one. The singer was excellent and had a very strong voice and sang a good range of songs to meet all tastes and ages. The dancers were very good too. The comedian was funny but generically so using the audience as a prop but in a fun way, not laughing at them but with them sort of thing. The second comedian that was left on the stage on his own toward the end of the evening was funny to a point but some of the jokes were a bit non pc and although I wasn't offended but anything in particular I couldn't help but think some may be. In the end I'm afraid we got a bit bored and left before the end of the show. My sister and I are in our 50's and 60's but have to say we felt this hotel was a bit old for us as most of the guests seem to be a lot older than us and for the reasons stated above we would probably not stay there again and find somewhere a bit more up market with a younger feel to it. Having said that though this hotel was in a good location away from the bustle of the Tower but only a short tram ride to the main attractions. The staff all very attentive and helpful and the hotel as old as it is very clean and obviously well run and we had a special offer that to be honest was such a good deal with dinner bed and breakfast it was hard to refuse. We enjoyed our stay but a lack of leaflets everywhere in the resort I found surprising especially at the hotel, they had a screen on the wall in reception telling you of what was about but no leaflets for you to browse through at your leisure, I missed some things I would have liked to have seen as I found the leaflets at the train station on my way home! A good basic hotel with good food and free entertainment but if you wanted something a bit special then perhaps look around for something else.

Room Tip: We had a sea view room number 339, basic but clean and an excellent view. Lean out the window and lo...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
huddersfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Visited this hotel once again for our 46th wedding anniversary 7th to 8th october.The hotel reception and all ground floor rooms had been refurbished and looked very smart.Our room 357,was nicely decorated with a sea view. Breakfast and evening meals were satisfactory with a wide choice. The main reason we booked here was for the superb entertainment once again led by the excellent compere Buddy Lee who is very funny and versatile with any audience. Th.e 3 dancers worked very hard with many spectacular costume changes and added glamour to the well produced show. Special mention to a very experienced comedian Venn Tracey who had the audience in hysterics. alternative comedians take note..a very enjoyable break .DO NOT COME HERE IF YOU DO NOT LIKE LAUGHING,THE FUN SIDE OF LIFE AT ITS BEST.

Room Tip: Worth the xtra for a sea view room
1 Thank ianandchristina
READ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Just spent another weekend at the Viking - great value for money, good food, excellent well trained staff and fabulous entertainment. Perfect location for seeing Blackpool, we prefer this to the other Blackpool Choice Hotels as it is adults only so no children running through the bar as there sometimes is at the other ones.

Room Tip: Go for a high room, can be a little noisy from the cabaret on lower floors
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends