“Great hotel, delicious food, fantastic entertainment, amazing weekend stay!”
Review of Viking Hotel

Viking Hotel
Ranked #17 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, delicious food, fantastic entertainment, amazing weekend stay!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Me and my partner have just returned from another amazing weekend at the Viking Hotel, Blackpool. We visited from Friday 1st August 2014 to Sunday 3rd August 2014 (2 nights). We have stayed here several times before and I honestly don't think there is anywhere else in Blackpool I would rather stay. I got a great deal by contacting the hotel directly and spoke to the manager Mario, who always looks after his visitors, and offered us 2 nights dinner bed and breakfast (DBB) for an amazing price of just £89pp, I thought that was worth it just for the food and room, especially being on the sea front, so we grabbed the offer and booked, cheers! The Viking also has the amazing show bar "Talk of the Coast" that also gives the hotel a big thumbs up from us!

We arrived at around 1.30pm on the Friday, and as soon as you walk in the hotel you can tell it has been given a very big face lift and decorated throughout to an exceptionally high standard. We were given our room key and a pass and shown which way to get to our room, the receptionist was very helpful. Upon entering our room, it was massive, it had a large double bed and 2 single beds, so you can imagine how big it was, with extra room that walked into the bathroom, there was tea and coffee making facilities, large mirror, vanity desk and chair, all the beds were made up, extra pillows just in case, the decor was very modern, a large flat screen TV, and exceptionally clean. (See the attached photos)
After a little rest, we left our things in the room and went back downstairs to reserve our seats for the evening entertainment. But much to my delight we had already been given some great seats when I booked the room.

We then went and jumped on the tram which stops pretty much outside the hotel, we went into Blackpool town centre, it takes literally a few minutes and at £4.50 for a day rider you can use on both bus and tram, great value. But even if you wanted to walk it (which we did on the way back) it only takes 20-30 minutes. Blackpool has a million and one things to do, as you will probably know. We went shopping, and some more shopping, oh and some more shopping! (That's women for you)

We got back to the hotel, nice and airy inside, got to our rooms to have a shower and change, the showers last time we visited were very temperamental but not this time, it worked great. Towels were also provided and changed on a daily basis. As well as small essentials such as soap etc.

We then went down for dinner around 6.30pm. The dining room is well set out and with the refurbishment it looked and felt amazing compared to our last visit, so much brighter, the room has numerous sized tables for different sized parties. The food is the up there with the best I have eaten, none of your greasy rubbish, it's all fine food a choice for everyone too, even your fussy eaters like me. There is now hot and cold food stations so you can help yourself to as much (or as little) as you like for your starter and dessert, there must be a lot of effort in the preparation, there where salads, cold starters, hot starters, and yes plenty to choose from, there is also an array of hot and cold deserts to choose from, the main course is brought to you by your assigned waiter/waitress that you may choose from a menu, we had the lovely Jackie who looked after us, and she certainly did, service with a smile, and she wasn't afraid to have a good laugh with us, which I thought was great, makes you feel very welcoming. So top marks for you Jackie!! The food was great, the starters are that good you have to watch yourself and not get to full and save room for your main and dessert.

The night time entertainment is great, whatever they are paying Buddy Lee, it inst enough, because we was in stitches within minutes of him walking out on stage. It's great how he feeds off the audience, you can tell he loves his job and the acts that are on nightly are a range of comedians and show artists (singers), the show girls are also great. On the Saturday night we had a comedian Terry Cotter, I don't think there was a dry eye in the room (tears of laughter) with his constant stream of jokes, what a night! The only one 'down side' was the prices at the bar, around £3.40 for a pint, but considering the entertainment didn't cost anything, I guess it sort of weighs itself out a bit.

Off to bed and the beds are very comfy, well it was in the room we stayed in anyway, and duvets and pillows are nice too, no thin rubbish, thick and warm.

In the morning breakfast is served at a reasonable time, until around 10am so still plenty time for a relaxing lie in and still catch service, which is great because I don't like to rush in a morning. The breakfast is buffet style, get what you want as much as you want, and there is LOTS of it. From everything on a full English breakfast such as bacon, sausages, eggs, beans, tomatoes, fried bread, mushrooms etc to bread/toast, orange apple and fruit juice, cereals, yogurt, jams, a wide choice of fruit. Tea and/or coffee is served to your table by the waiting on staff who again are brilliant.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and we will definitely be back again, without a doubt!! I would also like to say that the refurbishment is a great accomplishment and gives the hotel that high modern standard, that holidaymakers look for these days. Fantastic job! :) See you soon :)

Room Tip: Upgrade to a see-view room, well worth the extra couple of quid!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Matt H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Staying at the viking, first time in blackpool for years, room upgrade to seaview is worth paying for. staff very friendly and entertainment is good, my wife isn't happy that there aren't any hairdryers, since she brought everything else, including the kitchen sink.:) hotel is very relaxing and close enough to everything. mainly couples and not many large groups makes it an ideal couples getaway, will definitely come back. we booked B&B because we weren't sure about the meals, there is plenty to choose from close by but what i've heard from other guests is that the food is excellent, I can say that the breakfast was really good with plenty to choose from and all fresh. Service at breakfast was fantastic, The staff make this hotel what it is. I would imagine most people would enjoy this hotel with the variety of entertainment and number of places to sit and relax. :)

Room Tip: we were in room 351 which had 1 double bed, 2 single beds, en suite with shower and bath and a fant...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Garry S
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stay every July for a long weekend. The cabaret and in particular Buddy Lee is fantastic - Buddy ad libs and feeds off the audience, haven't laughed so much since last July. We always stay full board which is definitely the right choice - the food is always excellent and the staff have being there for years and always remember everyone. My only slight criticism are the rooms, albeit they are clean they are in need of updating. With that said we have re-booked for next July!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mark D
UK
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here several times over the years and each time the entertainment makes the stay, Buddy Lee is funny and the Sensation dancers are good. The food is good and enjoyed the meals. The rooms are clean and ok. Would stay again. The car parking is ok if you get here earlier enough.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Millie_Molly_Mandy
cannock
Reviewed 24 July 2014

just got back from a 5 day stay at the viking hotel,rooms very nice towels changed daily,very good choice of food excellant staff,entertainment very good but buddy lee did repeat himself nightly,overall a brill hotel highly recomend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank georgecannock
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We as a family spent 7 days here a few years ago.. We found the Rooms to be clean and the food very good.. The hotel itself is perfectly situated and close to the Pleasure Beach which certainly pleased my children. Close to the south pier and other amenities. The evening entertainment was very good. Plenty to keep everyone amused. The staff were very friendly and they certainly were an asset to the hotel..

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Joan W
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This hotel is above average but no option to choose this on trip advisor. The food here is really good. The choice for evening meal is varied and for me it was difficult to choose as everything sounded delicious - which it was. The only problem I had which really irked me at the time was when I chose the smoked salmon starter. The waiter asked me did I know it was actually 'raw' salmon and did I still want it. Maybe he thought people from Liverpool were uncultured, who knows, but it felt very patronising and made me feel uncomfortable at the time. That said, the staff were very efficient in a very very busy dining room. The breakfast was great too and set me up for the day. Mine and my friends twin room was decorated nicely and in fact was the biggest of all our groups so certainly no complaints there, the main thing was that it was clean and the cleaners came in both days we were there. I like the fact that when staying here you have a reserved seat in the club in the evening. Buddy Lee is a good host and funny. There were 17 of us women so he kept bantering with us which was fun although I think some of the other guests got a bit fed up with it as he kept picking on our table, also a couple of the young girls with us got a bit embarrassed and actually left for a bit. All in all I would stay here again, especially for the food.

Room Tip: There's a lot of scaffolding going on at the back and we had a view of a wheelbarrow. Seaview wo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends