“Friendly staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #61 of 72 Hotels in Blackpool
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Just had a break at this Hotel 8th 9th July ..on Wowcher offer £59 for two nights 2 ppl ,with breakfast ,location is excellent to all theatres,restaurants,shopping galore.hotel is clean and comfortable,very friendly pleasant staff..could not fault it,beautiful dining room,breakfast excellent,,lovely bar,would definantly book this hotel again,,Thankyou Melville for a lovely stay..

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Hildegard T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Wigan, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

On a recent visit to blackpool we had the misfortune to book the melville as our hotel for the night after a theatre visit. The room was more akin to a hostel fixtures fittings all in disrepair room missing toilet roll and tea and milk this room was also dirty empty coke bottles dead moths and clumps of what may have been hair under the bed this was on arrival (the room had just been prepared), the cleaner sorted the missing items but the wash basin splash back had shaving foam on it from a previous occupant, as the room was for one night and only £60 (no breakfast) we shrugged it off ! what a mistake on returning from the theatre at midnight we went to bed only to be awakened at 2am by a hen/stag party in the next room the night receptionist did very little to stop the noise after another half hour we had had enough and left the hotel to go home. The receptionist just said they ignored him! other normal guest were in reception also complaining .If you are thinking of booking this hotel please be aware they cater for hen and stag parties

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
3 Thank Norman L
melville70-72, Manager at Melville Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
I would like to thank you Mr Langton for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.. Good or Bad we always welcome the comments of the guests that have stayed with us..I would like to offer our apologies that on this occasion you did not receive The fantastic Melville Experience that i know we do so well.. Having looked in our Daily Diary i cannot actually see any complaints from you in regards to your room, i would ask that if you ever have any issues with your hotel rooms (Wherever you are) then please make a point to bring it up with reception instantly so that they are in a position to move you to an alternative room as of course we want our guests to be happy, I would have made sure that you were moved instantly especially as your room, in your opinion was so bad - it is really frustrating when you go home and then air your views on trip advisor without even giving us the chance to put things right. Just also to set the record straight - The Melville Hotel Does NOT accept Hen Parties or Stag parties, but unfortunately on this occasion the group that were in had booked via an outside booking channel (Booking.com) and had all booked separately in different names so that we would not know they were a party... hence we bonded them all £20 on arrival and made them aware that we would not accept any bad behaviour.. I am very sorry that you felt the need to leave early, having spoken to our night porter regarding this incident he does remember you leaving and did explain that he went up to the group and told them that they had to keep the noise down or they would be evicted.. He did not need to go up again.. I felt the need to respond to your review Mr Langton as i find it a little unfair in regards to your Avoid like the plague comment... We could and WOULD have made your experience here so very different had you have told us of your concerns, but without the knowledge there is not anything we can do about it.. Also i would like to apologies in regards to the Group that were booked in, via Booking.com - we would NEVER have taken them but on this occasion they managed to book via the outside booking channel. I have since spoken to the booking channel and informed them of my concerns in regards to groups booking in this way.. They explained that EVERY hotel is open to this abuse as most hotels (including US) now exclude Hens and Stags from booking directly via the hotel.. This is a concern that we are now looking into and will try our best to come to a conclusion as soon as possible, so thank you so much Mr Langton for voicing your opinions as we have been able to put a procedure in place to make sure that this does not happen in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Took a gamble on this budget hotel for a quick short break in Blackpool, and so glad I did!
I do not associate my experience with the recent reviews. It isn't really fair to judge an hotel based on the stupidity of other guests. It is not the Hilton, but it is a taste of the old-school Blackpool, and it's very very economical. I found the hotel to be a little gem, if a tad basic.
Spotlessly clean, the staff are amazing (top marks to all the reception staff, who dealt with any concerns we had in a really friendly and helpful manner, and Sean (who seemed to do everything) specifically) the breakfast is good, and the location couldn't be more central.
To all the knockers, take a look at what you paid. You paid for a cheap trip away, and you got a safe haven to rest your head and a decent breakfast of a morning, for less than a round of drinks in a decent lounge bar. Get real!
This is ideal if you're looking for a budget hotel in Blackpool.

Room Tip: Just ask for a larger room if available
3 Thank Bill K
Northants
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

4 of us had a weekend-2 nights staying at this hotel. The staff were really lovely and so was the breakfast. The rooms were clean and adequate for the money we paid. It was such a shame the very drunk large 'old enough to know better' rugby team staying there at the same time were so badly behaved banging on doors, shouting etc etc keeping all other guests awake all night. It was not the hotels fault but perhaps they could have done more to stop it? The next day there were so many complaints. With such little sleep it ruined the weekend. it would have been nice to have been offered something in compensation even if only a free drink at the bar? Otherwise this would have been a good weekend.

Room Tip: the double rooms are small - pay extra for a triple
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amanda S
melville70-72, Manager at Melville Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your comments here, firstly i would like to thank you for your positive comments in regards to the staff and the hotel itself, it makes a big difference to us all to know that people notice when we are trying our best and really WANT to make the experience as good as it can be.. On this occasion i appreciate that you were here whilst we also had a rugby tour staying (This tour had been booked for over 18 months), please be assured that we did as much as we could do in regards to the problems that occurred on the Friday night.. We evicted a whole room from the hotel by 10.20am on the Saturday, as these were the ones causing the problems..We made sure that these were no longer in or allowed within our hotel at any time. Having spoken to the organiser of the tour, he was more than happy for this to happen as he himself did not want anyone else within the hotel upsetting..
I am very sorry that you experienced these problems whilst you were staying with us, i can assure you that we do as much as possible PRIOR to a Groups visit to ensure that they know the hotels terms and conditions and the behaviour that we expect from them. We would like the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again within the future, to give you the experience that we know we can and do provide.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

This hotel is not what it looks like on the pictures. Its really small, old fashioned and the bed was so uncomfortable, it was like sleeping on springs. Staff arguing really loudly at breakfast time, of an evening it was understaffed same person on receptions as the bar. I also had a dead fly on my fried egg at breakfast no apology just would you like more toast. Not impressed a all. Staff were quite disrespectful too.

Room Tip: Choose a better hotel/bnb
2 Thank Ashley G
melville70-72, Manager at Melville Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to write your review following your stay with us here at The Melville Hotel. Having looked back through our Daily Diary i cannot see any entries from yourself in regards to any complaints as mentioned within your write up. In regards to being understaffed, we are a family run hotel and try our best at all times to make sure that every department is covered as and when required, if you saw the same person more than once this is because we are a very close family unit and work accordingly, this then reflects on your comment about arguing within the breakfast area?? I have spoken to our staff and can assure you that no arguing took or takes place at all. We respect every comment that we receive both good or bad, but would also like to point out that had you brought any of these issues to our attention whilst you were here then we could have done everything possible to try to make your experience the best it could be.. If we are not made aware of any problems then we are not even in a position to put them right. In regards to your room, Room 24 is one of our standard Double rooms which is what is on offer on the Deal that you purchased through KGB, by all means we would have been prepared to change your room and even upgrade you at no cost had you made us aware......Once again, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave YOUR views on our hotel, just a tip from us... If you are not happy with something then please voice your concerns whilst at the hotel so that the staff are able to sort things out for you and make a difference as best they can...
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

On first arriving we got to reception and the duty manager went to book us in after telling us that the hotel car park was full, £10 or £7 depending on days. While my friend moved the car to the outdoor car park just up the road i started checking us in. We had a Go-Groopy voucher £69 for 2 night B&B but as it was just for 2 people our other friend had booked another room at £60 for 1 night so they could havet one day with us.

Unfortunately my friend who Booked the room for £60 could not make it so i told the duty manager that i would have the room for the night save wasting it. She told me it has not been paid for so i checked the paperwork and she was right. I then told her i did not have the money but to hold on as i would sort it. she said she would put it down as a no show and booking.com would take the money and she would re sell the room. I told her that was not fair and she had to give me time to phone the person but she didn't want to so. I told her that if my friend paid over the phone she could not re sell the room and she had to give them time to do that. It was 3.25pm (check in starts at 3pm) and she gave me till 5pm to get in touch with my friend or she would take the money and re sell the room. This is disgusting as a client may turn up at anytime but she just wanted to sell the room for more money. Her attitude was not that of a so called Duty Manager.

I did get in touch with my friend and went to reception at around 4.15 so it could be paid for and when i motioned to her over the desk that i had them on the phone she looked at me and pointed at the computer saying she was doing something. The other lady then got up and went to the computer and they were laughing about something she was showing her. I just walked away and went back when i was ready. The Duty Manager was not happy to give me the key but my friend told them to book me in.

The twin room (voucher room) was defenatly (i hope) and Voucher room. Very cold and looking out on to the roof top out the back. The room was really small with a tiny radiator by the door and not even a shower in the bathroom to wash your hair. My room for the night had a double bed and was a little better as it had a view of the tower due to being on main road with a sort of balcony type window. Both rooms were very tired and the wall paper in the double room was coming off. Both rooms had tea and coffee making and we had to ask for towels as none where in the rooms. The double bed was comfortable. I did have a shower in the double room but when i looked above in the extractor fan there was something in it which resembled a dead mouse (it wasn't ) but it has not been cleaned out for ages. The shower did not get hot at all so i had a luke warm shower but my friend came to use it and left again as she could not put up with how cold it was lol she went and had a bath which apparently was hot

The next morning me and my friend met up for breakfast and we talked about how cold the rooms had been and also the fact i had heard some guys shouting out of the window down to the street arguing with some other guys at about 03.15 in the morning. She told be that at about the same time she had a guy running round the hotel knocking on the doors shouting his mates name as he could not find his room. The hotel is like a maze Oh and you cant fit 2 people and two bags in lift if you are over a size 14 lolol.

Breakfast was a little cold but fair choice of food however the eggs where under cooked and you could only have fried, dont ask for anything different like scrambled you get a flat NO. We then took the key back for the double room and mentioned the noise from the night before. The duty manager sure had issues with me as i thought it was going to kill her when she had to say sorry to us but we where not the only people to mention it. Note i said mention it, we did not get moody or complain we just mentioned it. We also mentioned how cold we had been and asked for blankets in the twin room. I was told to turn the radiator on but it was so small we did not see it lol till later when got back from shopping. On our way out we did see the Duty manager telling this guy that she was kicking the guy out who had been running round the hotel banging on doors. This was good and we was happy but she had her hand in his face waving it around like a real woman with attitude wagging her finger in his face (so not professional). The big guy was just agreeing with her and it was only her voice we could hear.

We went out and came back later to find the radiator on but we where both still very cold. I went back to reception about 4pm and asked again for some blankets and was told there was some in the wardrobe but when i said there wasn't she said there was. I went and looked but nope no blankets so i went back down and asked again. We went out about 8.30pm tor some food and on the way out i asked for the blankets again and said i wanted them to be there to pick up when i got back in as we had been left cold up there. Yep i was now getting fed up with the way i was being spoken to and treated by all staff. When we got back the night guy was on and boy it was so good to meet somebody with a sense of hummer and treating the customer like a customer. We had a laugh about getting the blanket and how cold we had been.

Music was blaring out of a room in the corridor but when we closed our door we could not hear to much, however we could hear the guys talking and getting ready in the next room but just turned the telly up till they went out. 03.45am was was woken up by banging doors and again a guy knocking on a door calling his friends name for about 10 mins, then others came back and the lads next door came back so i put the tv on the radio channel just to take the background noise off.

We had breakfast again but this morning there was a group of about 20 guys who started taking more than there share of food so the staff stepped in and started serving it.

I was so tired, we just gave my key in and left. I did not even wait around for the the copy of the bill as we had not added anything to it.

I would like to go back to Blackpool but i will not stay here again.. I could have put up with the noise (sort of expect a little noise in Blackpool). I felt like once you questioned anything they took a dislike to you and i was so not happy about them trying to re sell the room without giving us a real chance to get it sorted.

Room Tip: Parking at the Hotel is not free. Breakfast is for 1 hour only 08.30 to 09.30
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank QuadGirls
melville70-72, Manager at Melville Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Many thanks for your writing your very detailed review. Unfortunatley when a booking is made via an outside booking channel such as booking.com, we are NOT allowed to just cancel a room off we have to either put it down as No Show to them or let the customer know that to cancel it this must be done via booking.com itself as they will still charge you.. I am very sorry that on this occasion you believe that all we wanted to do was to re sell your room, but i can guarantee that this is NOT the case.. We have contracted minimum rooms with outside booking agents and as this was one of their rooms we would not have been able to re sell it anyway so you seem to have got the complete wrong idea. I mentioned to you that if your partner wanted to keep the room then i would hold it for you instead of letting booking.com know that it was a no show as they would still charge his card for this but would then release the room, you had mentioned that you wanted to use it which seemed the best idea.
In regards to the rooms, if you had come and seen us in regards to not liking the rooms or wanting a bigger room then we would have done everything possible to change you, i have checked the daily diary and this was not asked for or even mentioned during your stay with us.
In regards to the noise at the hotel, i can only apologise but we did have a party in with us, which as you know i did evict the culprits that were making the noise on the Friday night as i know we had a conversation about this at the desk, again, you still did not mention or voice any concerns at this time, other than to ask for a couple of extra blankets which we sorted for you....
I am very happy to read our guests comments, good or bad, but what i am not pleased about is when facts are written that are just NOT true... I gave you time to try and sort payment for your room as i did not want your partner to be charged for it anyway, and then you not allowed to use it as it would have been marked down as a no show.. I think that maybe you should be contacting the booking channel that you booked with and speak to them, we have to follow their rules and procedures, but at NO time did i or would i have re sold the room as it is a room that has been given to booking.com to sell.
It is very unfair to judge our hotel like this when you do not make any attempt to tell us of the problems whilst you are here to give us the chance to put things right, having spoken to a number of the staff members here we do remember the two of you and are very surprised by your comments as we all remember speaking to you both and seemed to be getting along etc..
On this occasion i do not think that anything that we can say will change your opinions but i believe its only right that other people understand that unless we know of any problems then we cannot put anything right. The voucher deal you came on meant you were paying £14.75 per night which included your breakfast.. i am very sorry that we did not manage to provide you with the Melville Hotel Customer Experience that i know we are so good at!!
Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Been Blackpool I wasn't sure what to expect, however the hotel was spotlessly clean, it is dated and old fashioned but cleanliness is the main thing. The staff were helpful and friendly, breakfast was nice with a selection of cereals, and hot buffet, tea coffee and fruit juices.

The room was adequate with tea and coffee making facilities and a small shower room again fine our needs. There was plenty of wardrobe and cupboard space and a TV although as we didn't spend much time in the room as we were out most of the day and evening.

The location of the hotel is really good Houndshill shopping centre at the end of the street, the Opera House and Winter Gardens round the corner which was great as we were there to see Mamma Mia!

The hotel is close to a car park further up Adelaide Street, although it's a long stay car park the machine doesn't accept notes or cards so if your going for a weekend a pocket full of £1 coins is needed!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
melville70-72, Manager at Melville Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Many Thanks for taking the time to write a review in regards to your stay here at The Melville Hotel. It is fantastic when we recieve such positive comments and people acknowledge the hard work that our wonderful staff do. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again.