Oh dear, where do I start?
As soon as my family and I walked in through the front door into reception, we started to have doubts. The smell of old cooking fat hit us like a wave from the Irish sea on a stormy day!
We should have turned back and gone along the road, to one of the many other hotels on Albert Road with vacancies, but we thought we should give them the benefit of the doubt and see how things would work out.
One thing that seemed odd, I noticed later, was the lack of any form of Hotel accreditation award, either on the outside or in the Reception. Looking at all the other establishments along Albert Road, they had at least one quality rating, which should have rung all the alarm bells, but we decided to press on with our stay, as we had already paid up front.
The room they had ready for us, didn't have a shower, only a bath, so we elected to wait the 50 minutes for them to get it ready for us. We wish we hadn't have bothered.
When we got to the room (number 101) it was very small, there was a double bed and in the opposite corner a single for my son. The room was a sort of L shape, so that the single bed fitted into an alcove.
The mattress had probably been there since the hotel was listed, because we could feel every bed spring in it! We ended up lying on top of the quilt, so it felt a little more comfortable!
The bathroom was also very small and cramped, with a small basin; toilet & shower cubicle. The shower itself has seen better days, with lots of mould growing in the grouting cracks and rusty shower basket (to hand gels and sponges etc).
There was a radiator so plenty of heat, but it was constantly on - all the time! The valve tops had been removed, so we couldn't turn it down. As a result, it was very stuffy and felt claustrophobic. At least we could open both windows, one in the bedroom and the other in the bathroom. However, the bathroom window had broken (it shut on the catch, but the hinged end did not fit flush to the frame) so we could hear all noises from the streets.
Next morning we attended breakfast, again another blast of old cooking fat! I was surprised to note that part of it was not self-service. The cereals were served by our waiter, who didn't present us with any menu choices and we had to ask to see if they had what we wanted. I had a cooked breakfast, but when it arrived, as will all the breakfast choices, it was very small and not cooked well. The waiter was fairly prompt, but completely lacking in any form of customer facing experience.
The only good things, was that the linen was clean and the location is very central for all the attractions.
We had booked for two nights, but after the horrible first night decided to move to a Premier Inn a few miles away.
If you are ever tempted to stay at this hotel - don't! Sleeping in your car would be preferable!
The proprietors could really make a go of this because it has the potential to the one of the best hotels on the street. But, until some real investment occurs, please do not go near it.