The Colwyn Hotel
Big Blue Hotel(Blackpool)
The Headlands(Blackpool)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewstram stoppleasure beachsea viewgreat hotelfamily roomtoastfull englishbreakfast was excellentpool tablechoice of cerealsnext yearsingle roomwould stay againcooked breakfasttea coffee making facilitiesyogurtlast minute booking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Very friendly staff, rooms are clean and tidy and of good size. Breakfast and Dinner was excellent good location Had a great stay with our disabled brother and would come back again
The host was very attentive and friendly

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 384rmp
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed at the hotel only for 1 night but before we even arrived the care and service was excellent. We had driven from Portsmouth all the way up and thanks to Sat Nav got lost. This meant that 10 mins before check in closed we still could not find where we were, then the phone went and a concerned voice asked if we were ok as they had not seen us! This makes a change as I have worked for many years in the hotel trade and my experience has been that if you don't show up in time they take the money from your card and laugh saying that it a part of the cancellation policy, whilst selling a now empty room to the next person that walks in, but not here they were actually worried that something might have happened to us! As it was we were just outside but could not see it for looking.. Doh!

When we got in the lady on duty made sure we were comfortable and happy and that our dog was also ok. Being located as they are right at the start of the Illuminations (about 10 mins walk from the tram terminal) you will find that you are at the end of Blackpool that avoids all the hassle and problems that can come with night clubs, drink and people, but are literally no more than 2 mins from the Pleasure Beach.

After a good nights sleep we awoke to a friendly and happy Lady (We later found out her name was Ruby), chatting to us and the other guests like we were all old friends and not just customers. The breakfast was just excellent, well cooked, well presented and loads of it (thank you Chef, I know how hard it can be maintaining standards when you are not too busy as I am a chef myself!)

I do agree with the comment that it was a bit dated but it is Blackpool and most of the hotels, B&B's are in need of updating but with business costs the way they are can any family run business really afford to change decor as often as the national chains? At the end of the day a bedroom is just a bedroom but a hotel is its staff and this one was lovely.

We will be back and hope that the whole team have an excellent and busy summer. Keep up the good work and see you again soon.

Robin and Diane

Ps Jodie (our Boxer cross) loved all the attention she got and was also made to feel at home.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Robin c
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed at the Colwyn for two nights with my young son over a short break in Blackpool, I have to say given the price I was a little concerned about the quality of the hotel, however my concerns were soon put at rest...

Situated at the south end of Blackpool Pleasure Beach, the Colwyn is a perfect base for any Blackpool trip with youngsters.
There's plenty to do in the hotel with a pool table and games consoles scattered around for the kids to enjoy, as well as a lovely bar area.

Our hosts greeted us with a smile, were friendly, courteous, helpful and met our every need.
Our room was small but perfectly adequate, with the bonus of a stunning sea view!
The room was very clean indeed with a fresh smell and crisp well laundered bedding awaiting us, you'll be hard pushed to criticise the cleanliness of the Colwyn.

The beds were exceptionally comfortable, I slept so well that I almost missed Breakfast one morning!

Breakfast was wonderful, a wide array of fruit, juices and cereal were provided and of course cooked breakfasts were available.
Fresh coffee was provided and my full English breakfast arrived hot and promptly, the quality of which was very good indeed.
I was offered as much coffee as I could drink, more toast and generally looked after very well over the breakfast period.

So any negatives? well perhaps a few tiny niggles but nothing that detracted from what was a wonderful stay:

The television in the room was situated in a manner that made it very difficult to watch from the far bed, I personally didn't mind that so much as I snuggled up with my son to watch it, but I imagine that's not going to be practical if you're just sharing the room with a friend.
The key lock and door to our room were ridiculously squeaky and loud, I popped out for a smoke one night and felt like I was waking up half the hotel.
The beautifully clean, white room was somewhat ruined I thought by the old green toilet suite, but as I said before, only tiny issues, all in all this was a lovely hotel and I would not hesitate to stay again!

You won't find a better quality hotel that's great for kids with lovely staff and free Wi-Fi anywhere near this price elsewhere in Blackpool, trust me I've stayed in some shockers!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mick H
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was our second stay at this hotel but not sure if we will be returning. The hotel itself is in a quiet spot just past the pleasure beach and has on site parking. It has a large bar area and playstations for the children to play with. Unfortunately what lets this hotel down is it is looking really tired and in need of modernisation. I would imagine this would be no easy task with the size of the hotel but it is much needed. Our room was a family room that had seen better days. the paint on the walls was chipped, there was loose ceiling tiles and bathroom was very old with a very slippy floor!. A quick look at a room across the hall from us showed a room in a similar state. The room however was very clean and had two TVs and plenty of tea and coffee so it has potential. A row with the owner and another guest at breakfast did make enjoying the meal an awkward experience however the food was nice and our children had their own breakfast and I felt for the staff that had to deal with the aftermath. Unfortunately due to the state of the hotel we wouldn't stay again which is a shame as it could be really good.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel and our room overlooked the beach and the view was just spectacular. The breakfast was yum and the host was very friendly. Even the room was clean and spacious.

Highly recommended in Blackpool!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple