“Poor customer service”
Review of Claremont Hotel

Claremont Hotel
Ranked #18 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I booked to stay at this hotel for an upcoming weekend. This was to be a very special trip for my mother who had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer and wanted to spend one last weekend in Blackpool.
I was told on the phone during booking that I was to pay a deposit of £25 per person. There were four of us going so I was told I was paying £100.
Unfortunately my mother broke her arm after I had booked the trip and was admitted to hospital . My mother deteriorated so badly in hospital and was unable to leave.
I contacted the hotel to cancel the booking and was told that I had actually paid a £50 deposit and that they had emailed me to tell me this.
I had never received any email and checked through all my emails again. So this meant I was now being told I was losing £200 rather than the £100 I was initially told.
I asked for the extra £100 to be refunded. Despite speaking to a manager and two supervisors who in no way would agree to this.
I asked for the email to be re sent so I could check the amount but was told I could only have a paper copy that would be posted.
My mother actually passed away a week later form her injuries and I feel disgusted that I was not entitled to at least some of what I had paid. I understand that deposits are needed however I wasn't asking for the deposit back I was asking for the additional money they had taken from my account.
My family have used this chain of hotels for years and I feel that under the circumstances and the fact I was miss informed about the charges that there could have been some flexibility and empathy towards the situation. Had I have been informed that the deposit was £50 each I would have taken out travel insurance.
Two of the group are pensioners and are now left out of pocket.
This was the only thing my mother really wanted to do before she passed away. I am deeply saddened by the service I have received.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank indigogirlu
Write a ReviewReviews (1,586)

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Fantastic holiday as usual. Excellent value for money don't know how they do it for what we received. Food was top class. We had a hot buffet lunch daily and latte coffee, tea hot chocolate available all day and evening foc. Most drinks were included in the all inc but I had to pay a £1 for my usual Southern Comfort which I thought was ok as I could have had numerous other choices if I wanted. Entertainment brilliant two artists nightly and Ryan the hilarious compere. The hotel is 10 minutes walk to Tower and North Pier, and Trams and Buses free with pass to Fleetwood, Freeport, St Annes. (I personally wouldn't mind paying a nominal amount for these excellent services). Our room was a bay at the back which we found excellent. All in all I had a fantastic holiday and can't wait to return (already Booked) Thank you Claremont and all your wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Bays at the back excellent with no supplements.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank gillian b
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Had a brill time at the Claremont, very impressed with the food,good selection on menu, staff very friendly and helpful. Room quite small but clean and adequate for a 2 night stay. Entertainment was good especially the comedian from Bolton,very funny.Only 10minute walk into town,so good location.Would definetly recommend this hotel, and will visit again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This hotel is very central and lovely rooms though people with walking difficulties should request a room near the lift the food is lovely and the hotel has a pool and entertainment a great family hotel and lovely for couples just to enjoy a break

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Half term and we are back at the Claremont which was fully booked as is usually the case , which is a pointer as to how good it is .We had 2 sea view rooms next to each other which had been recently refurbished so were lovely and fresh looking , the bed was very comfy , the only down side ,as someone else mentioned ,is that it is a very tight squeeze in the bathroom .and I do think that larger people would have a problem . We have stayed in rear facing rooms before and found them bigger but maybe they all vary and its the luck of the draw . Food is delicious ,breakfast is a help yourself buffet and dinner is waiter service with a variety of dishes as well as a veggie option and a choice of salads .Have to be honest ,I didn't like the tea but I take my own teabags everywhere with me .All staff were friendly and polite , the girl on the desk was brilliant helping us out with info about the funfair , Pleasure beach.There is a pool and the kids club is brill for the young ones and they all love coming into the function room to play a few organised games before the entertainment starts . There was some lovely singers on and a couple of comedians but be careful as some of their jokes are not for youngsters little ears (when mine were younger I would pop into the lounge area with them then return to the entertainment when the comedian had finished).This lounge area is lovely to sit in and watch the world go by, it has an electronic games machine with quiz games on and you can have tea and coffee from the bar.The tower is about 10 -15 minutes walk , bus and tram stops are outside hotel. Quite simply the Claremont has everything for a family holiday in our favourite holiday seaside resort.

Room Tip: Do enquire if any rooms have a large bathroom , I will when we return next year.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

We booked a short break for the illuminations at The Claremont Hotel and have to say what an excellent choice we made. Located near the north pier it is a good 45 minute walk to the pleasure beach but with a tramstop outside the hotel it is easy to hop on and hop off for £2. The hotel is off very good standard, the staff very polite and always greeted us with a smile, particular praise to our hard working waitress Mel who gave outstanding service.

Our room was a double, very clean and the bed very comfortable. We overlooked the sea and road and the double glazed Windows made sure we never heard anything. The bathroom is tiny but for 2 people that wasn't a problem. If I had a grumble the wifi does not reach the room and the tv reception for ITV etc kept breaking up. But we never went to watch tv so that did not bother us at all.

We stayed half board and the meals were superb, varied menu, piping hot and served very quickly. We lived the dining room which although was huge was warm, cosy and very clean. The desserts was help yourself as much as you like. Breakfast was a varied buffet including cooked English which was very nice (just missing mushrooms).

Facility wise lovely pool, jacuzzi, there are treatments available for adults and for the kids the base club. The bar was hotel prices but lovely to relax in the comfy armchairs. We loved it and are already planning to return next year.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We came here for half term with our party ranging from 6month old to 83year old....
We enjoyed every minute of our stay the staff were very friendly and made you feel welcome, nothing was too much trouble to them.
The food was gorgeous a nice range on the menu.
The base kids club certainly did it for my 6 year old and his new friends he made whilst here!
The rooms were lovely, spacious just what you need for a comfortable nights sleep!
I would definitely recommend this place for families and couples.
Brilliant week here will definitely be coming again :-)

• Stayed: October 2013