“Wet weekend in blackpool”
Review of Claremont Hotel

Claremont Hotel
Ranked #21 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Our stay at the Claremont was excellent and I would highly recommend it to everyone. Room was very good, bed was comfortable. Food was very good as was the service and the entertainment was good especially the comedians.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view room no extra cost.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Claremont Hotel

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed here 8 - 10 November for the weekend and had a great time. We checked in Friday around 4pm and our mini-break started:

Bar
The bar is great, Carlsberg cold/Tetleys/smooth on draft, plus all the main brands (Smirnoff/Gordons) on the optics. The area around the bar has a living room type of place where the sports are on (not SS1) and lots of seats, then there is the huge entertainment area that holds enough for the evening. There is also lots of window seats where you can take a drink and watch the world go by facing the sea.

Location
The hotel is located near the Tower and north Pier, its the opposite end of the Pleasure Beach but a tram only costs £2 or you can have a long walk along the prom. We found the location fine as being on an "all in" break we didn't fancy being out all the time. If you're a party goer it's also well placed for Syndicate and the better part of the nightlife in my opinion. We had the children so it didn't matter to us, but if we go back without the kids we'd stay here again.

This is where the hotel really comes into it's own. Usually at these big hotels, there is a type of "canteen" feel to it, but at The Claremont its a beautifully set out restaurant, dark in colour with lovely lighting. The hotel also has it's own chef with signature dishes and a great choice. There was a party of 14 of us so I wont go through all the meals, but I personally had a salmon starter and beef (chef special) for main on the Friday. Then the following night black pudding on a bed of mash followed by lamb for my main. I had a few glasses of red with this (it was lovely and not a cheap tasting one) as there is a bar at the back where you can get up and order. The staff are also running round taking drinks orders, but I thought I'd give them a break and got up myself. There is also white wine and beers in the restaurant.
The desserts are lovely, huge cheesecakes and different kind of afters.
For the Saturday afternoon fish & chips are on served with mushy peas, possibly the nicest fried fish I've ever tasted. I even went back and got a second fish, it was that good!
Breakfast is the buffet kind but constantly topped up meaning the food is very fresh. Coffee and tea as well as cereals are served. Absolute 11/10 for every meal we had!

Entertainment
Again, really good. They start with a kids show to get the little one's tired, it's usually a DJ and keeps them happy for a while. Then there's a comedian and a singer. The show finishes later on with a disco. Personally I found the kids entertainers OK, the comedians were funny but their jokes were slightly dated, although they do get the crowds involved and were good in parts. The singers were OK as well. The entertainment room has a great atmosphere and people really come together.

Staff
Again, excellent. The bar, the girls in the restaurant, and reception were some of the friendlest people we've met. It's a credit to the hotel that they've found people that take pride in their jobs. Our particular favourites were the restaurant staff who were ran of their feet, but still stopped, smiled, chatted, and were back with drinks or anything you needed within seconds. Thank you to everyone.

Rooms
The rooms are what I'd call OK, but fine where you're on an action packed break where you spend very little time in. We had 326 which was a room on the stairwell, but it was actually bigger than the other one's. The bathroom is small but just big enough, there is a flat screen TV and the beds were comfy enough. Was slightly disappointed to not have a sea view, but the family rooms are slightly bigger so it was not possible. Overall it just did us for the time we were in Blackpool

Extras
We found the swimming pool very handy to keep the kids entertained after we'd been into Blackpool on the Saturday afternoon. It's fairly small with a jacuzzi joined on. There's also a sauna room for the adults, with small changing rooms at the side. We found it a little bit strange that there was a family of adults sat boozing at the side of the pool while their kids swam, but not the hotels fault and I guess some people can't keep the away from the AI for an hour!
Car park is a bit hectic but the staff take your keys and park them in the overspill at the back.

Overall, great for adults and kids alike. Fantastic stay and we'll be coming back in the near future.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed with a friend for 5 day all inclusive break. Brilliant value for money, The food was good ,plenty of choice at breakfast and dinner. The lunchtime menu could be more varied, soup,salad and a hot choice every day BUT nothing to go with the salad. Maybe some ham chicken etc. Apart from that it was all good food and service.
We went to the cliffs every day to use thier gym as the claremont doesn't have one but has a lovely pool,sauna and jacuzzi which isn't used much so most of the time you have it to yourself!!
Entertainment every night was good Must give a special mention to Ryan the compere he was brilliant, so funny and different every night, would return just to see him !!
The bar service and drinks were very good, and lovely comfortable area to sit and have a chat and drink. All the staff are helpful and can't do enough for you. We couldn't get an appointment with the beauty spa when we wanted it so Kate the receptionist reccommended one for us which was brilliant.
All the staff work very hard and although the hotel could do with updating in some areas it is very clean. I will go again with my husband for an all inclusive break.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Tina-r8
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Food was excellent especially the breakfast no greasy food sat around for hours! The rooms are small but clean. Pool area clean but far to much chlorine in the water all of our eyes were red raw.
Drinks are a bit pricy at the bar but to be expected in a hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Just returned once again from our midweek all inclusive stay at the Claremont,not disappointed at all a couple of new acts were there this week and we really enjoyed it as usual.The food is second to none personal touch with your own waiter or waitress,whom we got to now well during our stay,Josie she was so friendly and couldn't do enough for you.The rooms are spacious and are kept lovely and warm which is a plus at this time of year.The compare Ryan what can I say you were on top form this holiday Ryan I always enjoy you but this week you excelled cannot recommend this hotel enough fantastic midweek break.

Room Tip: Rooms near the lifts are best especially if you have walking difficulties ,rooms on the side get se...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marian Y
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I booked to stay at this hotel for an upcoming weekend. This was to be a very special trip for my mother who had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer and wanted to spend one last weekend in Blackpool.
I was told on the phone during booking that I was to pay a deposit of £25 per person. There were four of us going so I was told I was paying £100.
Unfortunately my mother broke her arm after I had booked the trip and was admitted to hospital . My mother deteriorated so badly in hospital and was unable to leave.
I contacted the hotel to cancel the booking and was told that I had actually paid a £50 deposit and that they had emailed me to tell me this.
I had never received any email and checked through all my emails again. So this meant I was now being told I was losing £200 rather than the £100 I was initially told.
I asked for the extra £100 to be refunded. Despite speaking to a manager and two supervisors who in no way would agree to this.
I asked for the email to be re sent so I could check the amount but was told I could only have a paper copy that would be posted.
My mother actually passed away a week later form her injuries and I feel disgusted that I was not entitled to at least some of what I had paid. I understand that deposits are needed however I wasn't asking for the deposit back I was asking for the additional money they had taken from my account.
My family have used this chain of hotels for years and I feel that under the circumstances and the fact I was miss informed about the charges that there could have been some flexibility and empathy towards the situation. Had I have been informed that the deposit was £50 each I would have taken out travel insurance.
Two of the group are pensioners and are now left out of pocket.
This was the only thing my mother really wanted to do before she passed away. I am deeply saddened by the service I have received.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank indigogirlu
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Fantastic holiday as usual. Excellent value for money don't know how they do it for what we received. Food was top class. We had a hot buffet lunch daily and latte coffee, tea hot chocolate available all day and evening foc. Most drinks were included in the all inc but I had to pay a £1 for my usual Southern Comfort which I thought was ok as I could have had numerous other choices if I wanted. Entertainment brilliant two artists nightly and Ryan the hilarious compere. The hotel is 10 minutes walk to Tower and North Pier, and Trams and Buses free with pass to Fleetwood, Freeport, St Annes. (I personally wouldn't mind paying a nominal amount for these excellent services). Our room was a bay at the back which we found excellent. All in all I had a fantastic holiday and can't wait to return (already Booked) Thank you Claremont and all your wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Bays at the back excellent with no supplements.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends