“Excellent value”

Ranked #20 of 72 Hotels in Blackpool
Southport, United Kingdom
“Excellent value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

As regular holiday makers at choice hotels,we tried an all inclusive at the claremont.could not believe what good value this was. The service, and food were excellent with as much tea, coffee and drinks as wanted. This is truly great value for money. We will be coming back soon.

Room Tip: Pay for a sea view. The sunsets are amazing.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank patricia c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
Southport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Although we have visited this hotel before, as well as others in the group, this was our first experience of all inclusive. Must say that we enjoyed our three night stay and what we got, in both food and drink, exceeded the usual value for money expected from Choice Hotels. I would recommend the package to anyone and we would certainly intend returning for some more of the same. Before writing this I read a recently posted grossly exaggerated negative review. I could take issue with many points but that is not mine to do, I will say that I stayed in a four star chain hotel, for instance, where your car was taken off you and jockeyed to who knows where!! At least at the Claremont you can keep an eye on your car in the "two space"[sic] car park. THERE IS ALWAYS ONE! Well done to staff and management alike.

Room Tip: Ask and pay for a sea view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carli0l
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed for the all inclusive 5 nights! The food was top class, excellent choice and improved quality from our previous 3 years that we had stayed which I thought was impossible! The staff are amazing and can't do enough to ensure your stay is a happy one, entertainment in the evening was really good with 2 different acts each night, with a full itinerary if you wish to take up activities during the day. Rooms were cleaned daily and clean towels provided as you used them. We had a brilliant room that was spacious and sufficient space for the two of us. We went as a family of 8 altogether and we all were sat together for meal times the waitress was superb and ensured all our needs were met, breakfast was great with so much choice, I had porridge and my hubby had kippers that we ordered when we first sat down, then you could indulge in a full English, fruit, yogurt and other cereals if you wanted. Tea and toast came in abundance and you didn't have to keep asking. Lunch was again help yourself and that was varied daily we didn't indulge over lunch as we had sufficient at breakfast. Then evening meals were a pleasure with superb choice and again plenty of everything. We we re served starters and main then you could help yourself to the amazing choice of various hot and cold sweets or request ice cream or cheese and crackers. The all inclusive drinks were great and were well known brands of several spirits, lager, bitter, wines, hot and cold drinks. If you didn't want any of those for £1 you could select any other alcoholic beverage that they stocked, like a pint of guiness or bottled ciders.
Overall the hotel is beautifully decorated and clean and tidy throughout.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Lesley S
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I have stayed at the Claremont before, but never all inclusive. The booking advised that check-in was 3pm, we arrived before, as did the rest of our party and we were all able to check in straight away. I offered to hand my car keys in at reception as I knew I would be drinking and may have blocked a few cars in and more than happy for the staff to move my car if needed.... I wasn't forced to do this, it was my choice !

We had a family room for three of us, a double bed and two singles. The room was bright, clean and fresh with two large windows looking out on the back of the hotel. The bathroom was a little on the small side, but manageable for the stay, clean and enough towels for all three of us. We were booked in for two nights and did not expect to see a cleaner on Saturday morning.... However the room had a quick clean, rubbish taken away, used cups replaced, new towels left etc

I was presently surprised to see how much was on offer at the bar.... All named brands and able to order two drinks at a time !!! The queue for the bar was never more than two, three people at any one time. £1 charge for items it on the offer..... But never needed them !

My only Negative....... The dinning area is very poorly lit..... This could do with being a bit brighter !!! The food was on table as soon as you ordered but I would have preferred to be asked when this was required so you could have a rest between courses. Saying that though, I would not have said the food tasted like food churned out on mass.... The food was of sufficient size and very good quality. The lamb Henry on Saturday was too die for !! A quick hello and thanks to Laura who waited on us each night.... Polite, professional and friendly !

The entertainment in the evening was good....... Singers and comedians both alike. I personally preferred the male singer Friday rather than Saturday due to the type of music sang. Saturdays singer was good in his own right, but I think too old fashioned and dated fir the audience.

Another hello to Trevor serving behind the bar.... Again, pleasant and friendly.

We were celebrating my dad's birthday and the staff dressed up the dinning table for us and stored my cake in the kitchens before bringing it out after we had eaten. They also gave us a knife and serviettes for us to cut up and eat later.

Lunch on Saturday was only one choice... Fish and Chips, so I was worried I was going to go without as I don't eat fish..... But I was able to choose chips, mushy peas and salad, which was plenty !

Overall we all enjoyed our stay...... And will be back for the next family celebration !!!!

Room Tip: I think the family rooms are much bigger than the double and twin...... Worth staying three to a roo...
2 Thank Julie W
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

First of all, I am actually shocked to see good reviews of this hotel.

Hopefully you’ll be reading this review before your stay, I wish I had looked here before giving Choice Hotels any time or money.

I went to this hotel for two nights with 15 members of my family. The rooms were booked by another member of the family as part of a birthday get-together.

On arrival we were greeted with what I wouldn't even describe as a car park. Roughly 6 spaces at the front of the hotel, all treble parked. “Luckily” we were told by staff that there was an overflow car park to the rear of the building….which also didn't even resemble a car park, but luckily there was only two cars there so we could just about squeeze in. Once "parked" we headed to check-in. On check-in we were told that the car keys had to be handed in to reception, all I can ask to this is "why?". Vehicle registration details are taken down as part of the check in, so surely the owner of a vehicle could easily be contacted in the unlikely event that someone is going to try and move their car. I for one wouldn't be able to relax knowing that someone that I don't know has the keys to my car, luckily I hadn’t driven so this dilemma was taken on by other members of my group. Little did I know I wouldn’t be able to relax, regardless of the fact that I didn’t have to worry that a teenager with no licence had the keys to my £20,000 car.

Once checked in we were handed our keys and let on our way. The room key we were given had a fob attached to it, this fob would allow us to gain entry to the stairs up to the bedrooms. “Not bad” I thought, until it was realised that you didn’t need this fob to use the lifts up to the rooms rendering the thing entirely pointless. Noting that the lift had a monumental queue, we opted for the “secure” stairwell.

The décor of the hotel is very 70’s, something that I don’t mind at all, though it looked like it had not seen a touch up in ten years. As it was evident from the quality of the paintwork there must have also been a ladder shortage when it did have its touch up, with fresh paint only up to 6ft of the walls and door frames.

After weaving our way through the maze of narrow corridors, strewn with empty glasses and crockery from the night before, and backward doors we eventually arrived at our room. First impressions were good, big bed and a good looking living space. Once our eyes adjusted to the low light the quality of the room became glaringly apparent. On opening the net curtains to allow some light in, and open the window to freshen up the musky smell, I was greeted with our view (see photos). Yep… our view from our seaside hotel room was of four corners and three stories of other people’s rooms, peeling paint, rust, rubbish and bits of seagull. The view however was at the back of our minds, pushed there by the drone of what sounded like the engine from an M4 Sherman Tank. This drone turned out to be a generator, a drone that would keep us company for two days. I sat on the bed in horror of what we were going to have to live with. It was then that my heart sank… sank as much as the wafer thin mattress that nearly gave me spinal cord compression (see photos). It was whilst being sat on my prison standard mattress staring at my prison standard view that I looked up (see photos) Yep... another prison standard feature of this hotel, netting which may as well been steel bars.

I picked my chin up and decided to get ready for the night. After all it was all inclusive so free bar, free food and free entertainment.

It was on my naked feet on the way to the bathroom that I felt an Arctic chill, not from the 1970’s threaded carpet, but from the 2 inch gap under the door to the room. I’ve seen lesser gaps on public lavatory doors.

“The bathroom can’t be that bad” I told myself as I opened the lockless door. What I was greeted with was yet another breeze, this time from the unsecured loft hatch above me (see photos). It was at this point I may as well done away with the lock on the room door. The bathroom itself resembled something you’d find in a slightly larger than usual caravan (see photos). I didn’t even bother trying to sit on the toilet out of fear that someone would walk through the lockless door and see me, one leg in the bath clasping toilet roll with my arms. As you can see, this would be the only way for someone of my height (6’’2) to use this facility. I’m not sure where Choice Hotels purchased baths for this place, all I know is it was definitely from a specialist shop if at all of this earth. Everything that had running water had lime-scale, the shower being the main example (see photos). After a bit of experimenting I found that the best position to have a shower was in the kneeling position adopted in rifle shooting and knighthoods. This was because the footprint of the bath was not large enough to accommodate a footprint, and, the showerhead was positioned for someone considerably shorter than an average human. It was then I took my life into my own hands and climbed out of the shower-come-bath. I can only imagine that the bath was forged from some sort of alien material that had a similar effect to my feet as a super-conductive material has to a magnet. Bathmats were available, but bizarrely had to be requested for at reception. Again “why?”. Eventually, I was ready to head downstairs.

I arrived at the bar area to find a large space with a smattering of tables and chairs. So obviously a battle was now on my hands to get a chair. Before that, I went to the bar for a drink. I have to say, I was surprised by the amount of brands you could get as part of the all-inclusive range. For just one pound you could upgrade to anything that wasn’t in the range, which I was impressed with. I opted for the all-inclusive larger which was Carlsberg. Not everyone’s choice, nor my own, but nonetheless I had one and it tasted great. All started going well, I had a great beer and I managed to get a seat.

As I returned to the table, now joined by my group, I placed my 14th pint on the table. Then it dawned on me, I shouldn’t be putting my 14th pint on a table.. I should be knocking it over at the bar then falling to my knees in a drunken stupor. This wasn’t just me having a “good day”, everyone wasn’t feeling it. It was if all the drinks had all the alcoholic content removed from them, and this carried on over our entire stay. Not one of us saw any alcohol come from its original source, for example a sealed bottle, so the watering down theory was set in stone.
Next up, meal time.

We all wandered into the dining area, falling over each-others feet and everyone else’s children as the light was so dim. We felt our way over to the table and strained our eyes to read the menu. A menu that contained very little, in fact a few of us didn’t eat at all the next day in the hotel as there was literally nothing we liked there. After skipping the starters I managed to pick a meal from the choice of six we were offered. “Braised steak with mushrooms and onions in an ale sauce” I looked at this and thought “perfect, that’s exactly what I’d like”. Roughly 30 seconds after someone took our order, our 15 meals arrived. Now, either they have a replicator back there or these are pre-prepared meals. I must add too that this was the only table service we received, wanted a drink? Go and get it yourself. So here it was, my main course. My “Braised steak with mushrooms and onions in an ale sauce” was actually a piece of boil in the bag beef with a greasy sauce topped with one and a half mushrooms and a strand of liquid onion. I would have taken a photograph but it was too dark and the flash from my phone was also at risk of searing the pupils from everyone’s night-adapted eyeballs. I didn’t need a knife with my bag-boiled slither of cow, nor teeth, as it fell apart at the sight of my fork. Because of this, and the pitiful portion, I polished off my carrion almost as quick as the waitress had brought it out. It was then I had to fill up on the “extras”, vegetables brought over separately on scalding hot trays that were obviously of “Heron” or “Farmfoods” frozen heritage.

We retired for the evening into the ballroom, promised with “sensational” vocal and comedic performances from 9pm “’til late”. These performances started with a 1990’s-esque kids party lasting what felt like an eternity and played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed. The entertainment following this was just awful, this could have been to my personal tastes but cabaret singing and an aging comedian with jokes from Jim Davidson’s back catalogue just wasn’t good.

Retreating to the bar area I thought I’d have a few more Kaliber specification Carlsberg. It was then that I was informed that the bar would stop serving at 12pm, even though the “entertainment” was playing until gone 1am. Now then, where is the sense in that? I’m guessing it’s probably in the same place as the fact you can’t have a double measure, but you can get two glasses with a single measure in them and “mix them yourself”. It was at this point I had to talk my common sense out of leaping to its death. Not long after my common sense had to return the favour as I considering throwing myself off the North Pier to end the misery that was hearing the latest One-Direction single, no word of a lie, 12 times an hour over the speakers providing “ambient” music.

Once the bar had shut we all went off to navigate the maze to our rooms. Once in I was delighted to hear that the M4 Sherman had turned off its engine outside my window! So I jumped in to bed in joy completely shattering my spine on the cell 13 sleeping pad known to the proprietors as a “mattress”. I then had to get back out of bed realising that I hadn’t put the “do not disturb” sign on the door. The reason I had neglected to put this sign on the door, ladies and gentlemen, is because there wasn’t one in the room. After this major annoyance I had to pull the plug on the T.V. Another backward feature of the hotel, the T.V. emitted a blinding blue light when it was switched OFF. After I returned to my bed I felt another draft, this time from the gap between the lower 1ft of my legs and the floor. The bed was obviously built with the notion that someone over the height of 5’’5 existed was preposterous. I lay there with my legs creating a tent over the end of the bed for the imminent loft hatch burglars and, like crickets in the night, the background noises started to get louder. I was praying for crickets the third time I heard someone void their bowels. Though it was hard to hear that over someone snoring at an unspecified location in the hotel and the endless footsteps. The walls were that thin, I’m pretty sure that I heard the hair growing on the occupants in the adjoining room.

After no night’s sleep I went downstairs for another boil in the bag meal, only to return to my room to see that the cleaner had let herself in through lack of a “do not disturb” sign. After circling around the hotel maze my room was finally “ready”. “Ready” as there had been literally zero cleaning involved. The bed was made, which I could and would have done myself, and that was it. The bin was still full, the rings from leaking tea-cups were still on the table plus more tell-tales than it’s worth mentioning.

The staff throughout this stay were wholly, bar one older gentleman in the bar area, unhelpful and rude. I always go out of my way to be polite and courteous with everybody, especially those catering for my stay somewhere. This kindness was repaid by non-responses, ignorance and at the most a sarcastic smile.

This hotel is by far the worst I have ever stayed at, and it is not the least star-rated either. After this review I do not want to waste any more time even thinking about that place.

Do yourself a favour and do not stay there.

14 Thank Matt W
Widnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed midweek 3 nights all inclusive and what a fab time we had. We had a spotless clean family room (double and a single) on 2nd floor. Very spacious with a decent size bathroom. Nice white towels and bed linen. Even though it was the opposite end from the lift, it was nice and quiet and just above the pool. Wouldn't say we had a view to die for but didn't matter as we didn't spend a lot of time there.
All staff we came into contact with were polite and helpful. Big thanks to our dining room waiter Kamil who couldn't do enough for us. Lovely fella with a lot of patience.
You certainly don't go hungry lets say that.
Cabaret entertainment spot on and to top it off a nice win at bingo woo hoo!
Even though all inclusive, you didn't wait long at the bar which was a concern before we went.
Only gripe I have was the kids "base" den thing. Rather pokey and run down. My son just wasn't interested at all in it and no surprise. Would I stay again?? Absolutely!

Room Tip: Rooms further away from the lift are quieter
Knutsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

A party of 6 of us including my disabled sister have just spent an absolutely superb weekend at the Claremont Hotel on an all inclusive break. What terrific value!
The staff were brilliant, the manager Marcus was extremely helpful, nothing was too much trouble, the food was exceptional, and the entertainment was also very good.
We will definitely be returning in the near future.
Well done to everyone and thank you all very much.