“Great Hotel, Fantastic Staff and a great experience”
Review of The Strand Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blackpool
The Strand Hotel
Ranked #31 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed 9 July 2010

I stayed at the Hotel during the World 8 Ball World Championships and the only thing I can fault it on is that there is no wireless Internet in the rooms, although it says in the room guide that there is, so there clearly was at one point, but the booklet hasn't been updated.

The staff were all very friendly and accomodating; nothing was too much for them. The rooms were clean, tidy and well maintained, with a good choice of tv channels when needing to wind down.

Breakfast was amazing; i've never had such a grease-free full english!

All in all, I would recommend this Hotel to absolutely everyone. I'll definitely be staying again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank GoldenLils

Reviewed 8 July 2010

I travelled with my elderly parents and 2 young children. The staff were friendly and very helpful. Breakfast had a great range and full english is cooked to order. The evening menu was nice too. The tram stop is just across the road but it wasn't a long walk into the centre of Blackpool. The room we had was lovely with a big bay window at the front of the hotel with no problem from outside noise. Mum and dads room was small but clean and offered all they needed. The bathrooms were spotless. would definately go back with added bonus of being pet friendly the dog would come too!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank forker
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Stayed here in February on the 27th. I had a great weekend with the Scots Guards Reunion. All the staff were second to none...The room was great but the shower was a bit small to accommodate my larger frame, I had to breath in to get through the door :0) The view from my room (which was on the top floor) was fantasic looking out to the sea...Thanks for a very drunken weekend :0)...Hope to see you all again next year for another reunion..Regards Kevin

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 June 2010

I booked two rooms at The Strand late on Sunday evening, June 27. The booking was for a one night stay on July 26. I opened my post the following morning to discover I had a course commencing on July 27, so would be unable to make the trip. I contacted "Booking.com" first thing Monday morning to explain my predicament and request a refund. They were very helpful and understanding and said they were happy to refund their part of the booking but that I would need to contact the hotel who's terms stated a £20 per room cancellation fee. I called the hotel immediately and spoke to a pleasant young woman who explained the hotel's terms and that she couldn't personally make a decision to refund. I asked to speak to the hotel manager and was told they were unavailable. I asked the young woman when the manager would be available and was told later in the afternoon. She said she would explain my request for a refund and ask the manager to call me back. The young woman called me back within 5 minutes and said the manager had refused my request for a refund, restating the hotel's terms and conditions. Clearly, the opportunity to extract an easy £40 from a customer faced with a difficulty was a higher priority than being fair and reasonable.

This hotel may have nice fixtures and fittings but clearly takes a pure accountancy view of customer service. Having phoned to cancel my booking within 12 hours of making it, I hoped and expected that common sense and goodwill would prevail and my money would be refunded in full. Instead the decision-maker hid behind a junior employee who was put in the unfair and unfortunate position of having to try to justify a decision that was patently unfair.

Based on other reviews, I am sure The Strand has decent food and a sea-view. However, if you place a premium on being valued as a customer and treated as something more than simply the other party in a cold financial transaction, The Strand may not be the place for you.

• Stayed: June 2010
4  Thank lorraine_beeby
TheStrandManager, General Manager at The Strand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2010

No hotelier likes to get a poor review but I am pleased that you have chosen to make your complaint in this manner and bring it to the attention of potential guests, especially as it is an unfortunate issue we are faced with too often.

As you stated you entered into an agreement to book a hotel room.

On booking, you will have actively agreed to our terms and conditions which are clearly. As with any holiday company, tour operator or flight provider the same process applies, sometimes with you having to pay the full amount on booking with no chance of a refund, even if you cancel within 30 seconds.
I understand how frustrating it is when you feel that you have unfairly been charged for a service you have not received. Although, basic common sense tells you that when paying a deposit you have entered into a contract.

Please let me explain the costs involved on making your booking with us.
From the moment you booked, 2 rooms were taken off sale with the deposit you paid holding these rooms for you. Booking agents including Booking.com do not receive any money from the guest, the hotelier pays commission on the booking therefore the information you were given from Booking.com was incorrect as they cannot refund monies they have never received.

Furthermore, in this case their commission is 20% so we have already incurred a cost of £8. The VAT is then deducted off, another £5 pounds. Already the £40 pounds is now £27, not such an easy £40 is it? Rather than pass any further charges onto the customer we choose not to charge a booking fee for accepting credit/ debit payments, although the bank charges us 3% adding £1.20 onto the booking, or in our case deducted from the booking.

Once your booking is placed, after you've read and understood our terms and conditions, we then pay a member of staff to process this booking. A letter of confirmation is sent out with a copy of our brochure. We pay for the postage, the stationary, the till rolls your receipt is printed on etc.

Then if we refund your deposit the same bank charges are applied in reverse, so we have to pay another 3% commission to the bank on refunding your money! Staff wages for processing the refund, stationary postage sending cancellation letter and receipt and in this case phone charges.

Our chef entered an agreement for car insurance last week and within 1 hour the deal on the car he was purchasing fell through he immediately informed the company and cancelled the policy, and duly lost his deposit and was charged processing fees on top. How annoying! Does he have any redress, no!

We are a small independently run hotel not a big multi-national company and care passionately about customer service, the member of staff that dealt with your request did so politely and professionally.

So I ask what would you do in our position, is stating clearly our cancellation terms before you place the booking not being "fair and reasonable?" Should we allow guests to cancel bookings as they see fit as every guest wanting to cancel believes their reason for doing so is justified?

I would love this question answering as we get no pleasure in having our guests or potential guests feeling conned and we most certainly do not see this as a way of making easy money we would be thrilled for someone to reimburse us for the costs involved when a guest cancels, but that’s not going to happen is it?
I look forward to discussing this further with you and will contact you in due course.

Reviewed 30 June 2010

Stayed in this hotel last october with my boyfriend, enjoyed it so much we're going back in a few weeks!
The staff in the hotel were amazing, very friendly and will try their best no matter what you ask them!
The room was very nice indeed! We got a double and it was well maintained and very clean, and it stayed that way, even after we went out leaving the duvet messed up and towels of the floor one day came back and it was absolutely spotless :)
We had a very good sleep, and had no problems with the bedding or the location of our room.
The hotel is situated in a really good spot, its in a quieter area but still within walking distance of all the main attractions, we didn't use the car once we'd got there!
Overall very good hotel, and was very pleased with our stay!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2010

My daughter and I just got back from a 2 night stay at the Strand Hotel.
I cannot receommend this hotel highly enough. From the moment we arrived until we left yesterday morning - the standard was very high - staff were pleasent and efficient - especially Jodie on reception and Francis in the bar area. Definitely would stay at the Strand again . Well done.

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed 23 June 2010

Friendly and very warm reception from all staff. Good quality food in a very relaxed atmosphere overlooking the seafront. Stayed in a family room, which consisted of double with bunk beds. Room small, but adequate. Flat screen TV, tea/coffee, toiletries, and informative welcome guide. Hotel holds entertainment in the evening - we were located on the top floor and heard no music etc. Great to find a modern hotel in Blackpool. Located very near to Hilton.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family