“4 star hotel quality at 2 star prices!”
Review of Doric Hotel

Doric Hotel
Ranked #9 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Hi there.

Went to the Doric Hotel this year for 8 nights with my wife and two children, 6 & 7, on the 15th September and what a lovely hotel this is.

We had stayed at St. Chads the previous year and after having a wonderful time there thought that no hotel would surpass that, but this did! I have to say that the food was lovely and my waist line after I arrived home proved that.

I would like to recommend the hotel if you have any special dietary requirements. My daughter has a mast cell problem and has to be extremely careful with certain ingredients in food. Nothing and I mean nothing was too much trouble when it came to meal times for my daughter. James, (the restaurant manager), went through all of the food with the chef on their menu and made every effort to make my daughters meals as special as possible.

The hotel itself is always clean and fresh and the rooms are turned over daily. We had a sea-view room and our kids loved the view of the lights. (The room was slighty small though. If you plan on staying for more than a couple of nights I would recommend upgrading to a family suite if you like plenty of room). The hotel facilities are brilliant. The indoor swimming pool, (3ft deep approx.), was lovely and warm. There was also a jacuzzi hot tub and a steam room too. These only opened until 6pm and my small criticism is that its a shame they did not stay open slightly later, (say 8pm), as the facilities are always heated. If you are visiting with children there is a kids entertainer on during the busy periods and also on Saturday nights, (I would ask though if there is one at the time you book). There is also a games room for the kids, (keep your wallets open, lol).

The bar area was also nice and the staff were pleasant. We met some lovely people from all over the country. I have to be truthful though. I like a decent pint of bitter and even though it was only keg beer it was a bit hit and miss, which was a shame. If you are a wine drinker it was also quite expensive. I also personally think £15 for the lowest price bottle of wine was very expensive, especially when the wife drinks a couple of bottles a night ;). (What I'm saying is come on you can do a lot better than that price wise. We stayed at the St. Chads last year, (see my review), and we only payed £7.50 for their house wine, and they was still making a healthy profit)). This is why I am marking you down on the VALUE below. The rest is great.

Would I visit again, YES.
Would I like them to drop the wine prices from £15 for their cheapest bottle, YES.

Room Tip: Ask for a family suite if you like plenty of room. Ask for a quiet room if you go to bed early as t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Tony O
Write a ReviewReviews (1,301)

Reviewed 13 October 2013

This is the 3rd time we have stayed in this hotel. It's staff are extremely friendly, helpful and generally nice to be around. Food was lovely and there was plenty of it. It's position, being out of the town centre, meant it was out of the hustle and bustle of noise all night long, walking distance to the illuminations, with easy cheap access to the town by tram. Great all round family hotel at a fabulous place. Can't recommend this place enough!! Thanks guys, great job.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Debbie R
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Recently we (my wife and I) stayed in the Doric Hotel Blackpool, and providing you are not looking for the Ritz you will be well looked after here.

The Bedroom to which we were shown was, in terms of size ample, spotlessly clean being very particular, my wife slipped off the pillow cases and was pleased with what she found underneath.

The bathroom was quite modern and each day should we have left our towels in the bath fresh ones would have been provided, the tap and shower water was always very hot.

In any hotel someone has to have rooms that might not have the best aspect, our room was at the rear of the hotel and had nothing to recommend the view. our only other criticism of the room would be that coming from a house with a waterbed, the mattress on this bed was not that comfortable for our soft old bones.

The breakfast was as much and as varied as most people would want. The five course evening meal was excellent value for money and had a good selection of dishes to choose from.
The wine list was ok but not extensive.

Over the years we have stayed in many hotels, but would like to say that staff at the Doric were as good as we have come across anywhere, the dining room staff were highly efficient, courteous and well drilled, the bar staff and reception team were friendly and attentive.

All in all this was a hotel in which we were at ease and where should we have dropped a slice of toast on the floor would not have had to cringe under the disapproving glare of some overtailored shop dummy!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Patrick O
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My wife and i stayed at the Doric for 2 nights at the end of June. The staff were friendly and very helpful from the moment we arrived. The hotel was spotless throughout and the breakfasts were excellent with plenty of choice. We had a thoroughly enjoyable, relaxing weekend without the kids. Many Thanks

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pobush11
Reviewed 8 October 2013

anyone wanting to visit Blackpool I can highly recommend this hotel. Staff very helpful and friendly - nothing is too much bother!!. rooms are the best I've stayed in at Blackpool for many a year, very clean and comfortable with all the amenities you could wish for. the food was also superb (and I'm a bit picky). Located at top of the north end but tram stop is right outside and very good & cheap way to see the illuminations. this is one I will definately be returning to!!

Room Tip: we were given an 'executive' suite at no extra cost and it was superb although no sea view b...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Karen B
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My wife and I and two other couples went to Blackpool for a long weekend, my friends Anne and Harry took along their 2 year old grand daughter Lily, we were also joined by my best man of 30years ago and long time friend Richard ( Dick ) and his wife Ann. So we had 3 Ann's " the Blackpool Belles ".
Bookings were handled by Anne J who had holidayed at the Doric many times over the years, I parked my car inside the hotel grounds and left the keys at reception in case cars had to be moved around, parking is available on the main street " the Queens Esplanade " but is limited, parking is also available around the Hotel and across the road in Uncle Tom's Cabin car park.
We had a corner room on the 2nd floor with a Sea view and a view looking down onto the hotel car parking and across to Uncle Tom's Cabin, the room was light and airy with an adequately sized bathroom and shower.
We were booked in on a Dinner Bed and Breakfast basis, Friday evening dinner was relaxed with a table for 6 + a high chair already prepared, the menu is Table De hote and no A La Carte menu is available, being a Scotsman I started with the soup and followed on with a main course of Roast Beef with Boiled potato's and Seasonal Vege, choices of mains were available along with various selections of vegetables or Salads, I followed up with an Ice Cream Sundae and Coffee.
The meal was delivered quickly with friendly waiters / waitresses and was to my taste.
As this review is about the Doric suffice to say Blackpool was as I remembered it from many years ago but I must mention the firework display on the Friday night on the North Pier staged by the Chinese, the display the week before was by Scotland, the Chinese display was exceptional and also set to music, well worth seeing.
Breakfast in the morning was the usual with all the juices and cereals available also kippers and Porridge , I opted for a steaming plate of Porridge on both mornings and as per my usual proceeded to dose it liberally with Salt, main breakfast was cooked to order and again came quickly, with a smile,
Saturday evening was again a liesurely affair after a full day spent walking to the Tower and back,various starters on offer, again soup for me followed by Roast Lamb and a selection of vegetables and roast, boiled or chipped potatoes and a sweet and coffee.
There was Cabaret on the Friday and Saturday evening and of course Bingo for the not so energetic, two happy hours in the bar one in the afternoon and one in the evening, there is also a swimming pool and a small Jacuzzi and steam room, we used the pool and Jacuzzi which we and lily thoroughly enjoyed.
This is a family run hotel, rooms are bright and airy and well decorated, our room was double glazed with only one small hopper for air and had blackout curtains, a good thing as we were on the front of the hotel.
When we arrived on the Friday the hotel was full of families who had spent the previous week there and were heading home, in itself a good advertisement all we spoke to had returned there many times as Anne J and Harry had done with their families.
Highly recommended for a quiet family holiday or a long lazy weekend break.

Room Tip: Sea views are best looking on to the Queens Esplanade and not too noisy due to the heavyweight black...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 1946xela
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Spent a whole weekend at this hotel at the end of September. Rooms were reasonably sized and spotlessly clean. Cleaners came every morning with a fresh change of towels and to clean the room.
At breakfast there was plenty of choice of self service cereals, fruit juices, yoghurt and fresh fruit. There is also a hot breakfast menu with full breakfasts, eggs cooked to order and even kippers, which I didn't try. Plenty of toast and hot drinks are on offer and you can always ask for more. A full breakfast course does fill you up and you're not left feeling hungry.
Dinner was a 3 course meal with a menu that changed daily so we didn't have the same thing on the menu twice during our stay. There are also kids and vegetarian menus. Food portions were well sized and didn't leave you hungry although some of the heavier desserts could bag you up!
Restaurant staff were very friendly, helpful and chatty, especially the manager James who was always chatting to the kids and their families.
There is a small spa facility with a jacuzzi, steam room and pool. The pool is only 3ft deep so isn't the best for a proper swimming session but it is good for relaxing. Because it was autumn the outdoor pool was closed.
There is no WiFi at the hotel but Uncle Tom's Cabin next door has free WiFi, just a pity that the pub itself is a dump!
We didn't sample the evening entertainment but we had a couple of drinks at the bar and prices are comparable to pub prices.
The hotel is a couple of miles from the town centre but the tram stop is directly across the road and takes about 10 minutes to reach the town centre.
Overall I would say this was a very good hotel with friendly and helpful staff and in a good location to get a decent nights sleep but not be too far from the action.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family