“Sort out the smoking situation!”
Review of Doric Hotel

Doric Hotel
Ranked #9 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed 25 August 2014

As far as Blackpool hotels go, this is one of the better ones. The staff are really friendly and work hard. The food is nice for mass catering and really plentiful.
However..........
Please sort out the smoking situation as people stand inside the doorway when the weather is bad or its windy resulting in the sun lounge at the front stinking of cigarette smoke. I reported this and the manager appeared immediately. However, it continued throughout the stay and was not monitored or managed in any way. I was with my elderly parents and young children and found this unacceptable. Please design a dedicated outdoor smoking area.

5  Thank shirleygvalentine
Write a ReviewReviews (1,293)

Reviewed 23 August 2014

We just spent a week at the Doric as part of a family group of 14 covering 3 generations from pensioners to a 4-month old baby. We had 5 bedrooms, including double and family rooms. They were clean and tidy. We parked up on arrival and didn't touch the car for the whole week. The Doric is across the road from the "Cabin" tram stop. We purchased a 7-day tram and bus pass for £13.50 from the newsagent near the hotel, which was great value. The staff were brilliant, nothing was too much trouble for them. The waiters and waitresses looked after our large family with great skill and patience and much humour. They were great with the adults and children alike. It is difficult to single one person out, but Lisa Marie has an infectiously cheery personality. The food was good. Breakfast consisted of the usual bacon, eggs etc. The quality of the 5-course dinner was excellent. We used the indoor and outdoor pools most days. There is a small games room with a pool table, air hockey and a handful of arcade games. There was entertainment every evening after dinner. Adult entertainment began with 3 games of bingo, followed by vocalists/band. The children's entertainment in the Cumberland Suite was good and busy every night. There is free wifi available which I could connect to in the public rooms on the ground floor, but I couldn't pick it up in my bedroom on the second floor. On the whole, this is an excellent hotel, with excellent staff and excellent food and all for excellent value. I will definitely be back.

6  Thank stormydan
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Visited with my 2 grandchildren age 3&7 hotel was a bit dated but clean,after kneeling down on the floor my knees were soaking wet off the carpet then I noticed my grandsons bottom and his socks were wet,the carpet had been cleaned and was still very wet.after getting changed again I rang reception and was told to have my meal and the manager would see me ,a few hours later the duty manager said it would probably be dry tomorrow! Eventually he Said we would have a10% reduction,the water in the room was scalding hot and I had to make sure my 3 year old grandson didn't go into the bathroom alone, during the children's entertainment my husband noticed a hot plate had been left switched on next to where my grandson was playing! The entertainment was good the first night, the next night was a race night for them where they had to place a bet on the horses,didn't think this was entertainment for 3 &7 year olds.on the plus side the food was very good and the waiters were all lovely.We saw the manager a few times during our 4 night stay and he has yet to ask if the carpet was dry or even acknowledged our existence .An appology or even a smile would have gone a long wayl

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Loved this hotel. Stayed for the weekend with family and friends, staff are so cheery it is what makes any holiday for me. Rooms clean & tidy with plenty tea & coffee. Pools lovely for the kids included in the price of our stay, and bar staff, reception staff and waiting on staff especially at breakfast outstanding!!!! So eager to make everybody's stay a happy 1. Would definately stay again. Mandy x

Room Tip: Ask for sea view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank amanda t
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Your room was pretty small it had nearly everything our tea coffee buscuits. Breakfast good and evening meal good but the 2 bad things are no wifi in the room and entertainment bad rubbish singer stayed 2 nights.

they had a indoor and outdoor heated pool that was good so you can have a swim free good blackpool break.

Room Tip: The corner room are larger and ask for the prom view for bit extra charge
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank luke1924
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Well we have been going to the Doric for over 20 years but haven't been back for around 5 years, and we can honestly say we wernt disappointed , the restaurant staff were AMAZING, James, was extremely helpful, Danny and Lisa Marie we so obliging and couldn't have been any more pleasant , the food for the whole seven days was fantastic, the evenings entertainment was great for both Adults and kids, both the indoor and outdoor pools were great no matter what the weather was like, overall we will defiantly not be leaving it another five years, fantastic work from housekeeping, bar staff, restaurant, and entertainment xx thank you all the Clarke family Julie , Keith And Lilly xx

3  Thank Julie C
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We returned 1 week ago from our yearly 7 night stay at the Doric. Wasn't going to post a review this time as we have said everything before on previous reviews but have to say everything was perfect as usual. Every member of staff are brilliant and a credit to the hotel, as virtually everyone that posts says, nothing is to much trouble for them, they work so hard to try and make everyone's stay a good one and 99% of customers would agree. This hotel is perfect in every way for a 2 star (should be a 3) rooms, bars, swimming pools (indoor and outside), public areas etc are Spotlessly clean and maintained that way throughout your stay. Food, breakfast, dinner, bar snacks cannot be faulted. Adult entertainment on every night, not our cup of tea but a lot of people enjoy it, that is OUR problem though, you can't please everyone (were not that selfish). Plenty of other bars and rooms to sit in. Children's entertainment is brilliant. Tram stops, bus stops and taxi rank just outside the hotel. Cant fault this hotel, try it you will not be disappointed for what you pay. Sorry this is going to be long winded but I must take issue with a couple of recent reviewers and hope other reviewer's will do the same. One reviewer stated that the hotel was full of old aged pensioners, (sorry human beings). Never found this before, always found a great mix of people what ever age but if it is that way we would sooner sit in their company than yours. You sound a real arrogant self centered person, me me me as I bet It goes with everything. As for Iain c posted 16th of august. Must be the most pathetic, bigoted, biased, review I have ever read. Noticed it was his first review. Certain there are some people out there just post to damage the reputation of the staff and the hotel. Couldn't swing a goldfish in the indoor pool (just look at the photos) meant for family's me thinks. Not bad for a Blackpool hotel. 1940s tv. I don't think so. We've just left a room with a 36" (i think) flat screen wall mounted unit. Oh and a whirlpool jaccussi bath (our granddaughter loved it). To people looking to book this hotel, just look at the reviews and go by them. Sorry I have been so long winded but felt I had to defend the staff and owners of this establishment. See you all again at the end of October. Waiting for any comebacks, couldn't give monkeys ha ha, we know best. Ann & steve.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends