“Our worst stay in Blackpool Yet”
Review of Cavendish Hotel

Cavendish Hotel
Cavendish Hotel
Ranked #416 of 859 Blackpool B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We booked this b&b last minute as we had to be in the area for work for the weekend.
Having called we were told it was dog friendly & we could have two rooms for myself, my partner & father in law with a shared bathroom.
Upon arrival there was no parking. The hotel sign was falling off too.

We were shown to our rooms( owner Christine wouldnt leave for about 15 mins very awkard) to find it wasnt two rooms but one with a separate wall. No privacy for anyone at all. Rooms are dated & smelled of dampness. We had to then pay £25 on top of £120 ( which was demanded at arrival) for our two night stay to get a second room even though the place was empty. Showers are terrible with no water pressure & the tvs are tiny portables from the 90s. The rooms were in need of upgrade as was the whole place. There was also banging from construction going on next door.

Breakfast was at 8.30am and we were told Christine she wouldnt do breakfast past 9am. This is far too early for most especially if you want a lie in at the weekend. At around 12pm we left our dog in the room to go for lunch we were back around 2pm to find Christine had called to say dog was barking a little & she persisted on going to the room to aggrivate him more. So I now felt we couldnt leave him at all. Not very dog friendly. As for the bar in the Cavendish we asked for drinks at 10.30pm and were met with looks & sighs!

To make matters worse we were hounded to be out our damp smelling rooms at 10am on a Sunday.

The owners were both very odd & the hotel is in a terrible street. Geniunely my worst stay in Blackpool & Ive been a few times over the years. My partner & father in law were also disgusted by the service we received. As were two other guests we spoke too.

I would avoid this hotel if you are planning a stay in Blackpool!

• Stayed: June 2014
11  Thank Charlene H
roy186332, Owner at Cavendish Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

I feel there a few issues I would like to raise in response to your review. Firstly on booking the room you were informed this was one room with a dividing wall separating the sleeping area, this room was an en-suite and the bathroom was only shared by the occupants of the room. When you informed us you were unhappy with this I did offer you another double standard room for free, you were only charged extra as you declined this offer and requested another en-suite. We were not empty and the room you took and the one we offered were the only rooms we had available. We do not advertise having any parking, however I did give you my parking space in the street, however shortly after this you moved your car.
We are a dog friendly hotel, however the boundaries of this were explained to you prior to you choosing to book a room. We clearly informed you that we did not allow dogs to be left in the room unaccompanied at any time and you response was that you would never leave the dogs as taking them with you was part of the holiday. We also informed you the dogs were not allowed in the bar or dining room area as this is a food service area. You agreed to these conditions but then went out and left the dogs. I only called you to inform you as they sounded distressed and other guests had informed us of the barking. No one was aggravating them, I was cleaning the adjacent room and heard them barking myself.
With regards to your comments regarding the bar you text us from your room at 11.10 asking if we will serve you at the bar, and we agreed to this request although our bar does close at 11pm. You came to the bar at 11.20 then informed me your husband was taking the dogs out and would be back in about 20 minutes. At this point I did inform you that we would be closing the bar if you did not order a drink. You left the bar after having a drink at 11.50 and your husband had still not returned with the dogs.
Our breakfast is served until 9am and this is common practice in small B&B in Blackpool, and our departure is 10am, again this is common in most hotels and for an extra charge late check out is available but you did not request this. We do request the balance is payable on arrival, which again is common practice however this was not demanded it was requested.
Finally our rooms do not smell of damp and all rooms and showers are clean and in full working order.
I acknowledge there was some banging from the hotel next door, but I had already complained about this myself and this did not last for very long and I apologised for this inconvenience. I am saddened that you did not feel able to highlight any of these issues during your stay as we would have done our upmost to address these issues to make your stay more enjoyable.
I am sorry you did not enjoy our stay with us but we have several very satisfied customers. I hope on your next trip to Blackpool you find accommodation that more suits your personal needs and requirements.

There are newer reviews for Cavendish Hotel

Reviewed 26 May 2014

we stayed at the cavendish on 25/05/2014 for 1 night. From the time we booked (only a day before we arrived) till the time we left, we were made to feel very welcome. Although car parking was a little restricted on arrival, with help from Christine and Roy moving a couple of other cars ,we were able to avoid parking on double yellow lines. The hotel and rooms were clean and tidy . The cooked breakfast was very good (we even had the offer of an extra round of toast if we wanted it ). Although this was only a 1 night stay we enjoyed our time spent at The Cavendish Hotel. Thank you Christine and Roy.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank momaprodger
Reviewed 3 January 2014

we stayed at the Cavendish hotel over the new year there was only 6 of us there but nothing was too much trouble for Christine and roy . the rooms were very clean and ours were en suite. the street was quiet although when we first saw the hotel we were a bit worried as the other 2 buildings at either side were derelict although workmen were working on 1 of the buildings . breakfast was at 9 and evening meal at 5 prompt which was ok . we would stay again it was just a shame there wasn't more folk there for the new year .we wish them all the beast for 2014

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sharon_b242
Reviewed 30 October 2013

my wife and I stayed between the 8th@11th October 2013
although we initially had trouble parking the car as car parking was severely restricted in this area . why this is not stated before hand is totally beyond us? but please please do not let this put u off. we had a very warm welcome from Christine@roy the rooms were cosy and just as advertised nothing was too much trouble for Christine. there were no airs or graces from this couple just good old plane hospitality. just good old English bed@ breakfast at its best. if u like plain and nothing fancy just traditional . then give this a try because what u see is what u get.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mike k
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

Me, my partner, our two kids and the dog stayed here to go and see the illuminations on the 23rd September for one night, we found the host very welcoming and explained everything regarding the room and the keys to get in along with accommodating what we required for breakfast the next day. Breakfast itself was very nice and the host Christine was very accommodating to our needs.The room was clean and exactly what I expected, the kids were in an adjacent room to us and although some people may find it too small, for what we wanted it for it was just right. There's a very nice Chinese chippy just a few yards down the street and the location is great 5 minute walk to the seafront. Parking could be a problem if you don't arrive early enough but that's not taking anything away from the place itself it was lovely and we enjoyed our stay. Thanks, Sean, Hayley and the kids

Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Sean B
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Myself, my two year old son, my friend and her two year old daughter stayed at the beginning of August 2013. What a perfect homely feel to the place, as soon as we walked in Christine was there to help with our luggage, even helped with parking outside by saving a spot for us.Check in was smooth and quick and we were promptly shown to our room, which was exactly as described when booking. Yes we were on the top floor but not everyone can be on the 1st can they?! Room was clean and serviced daily, towel too. We had two double beds in adjoining rooms, very comfortable. Breakfast was at 8.30, reasonable time i think. (we made it every day, even with drinks the night before) Yes there is a small menu on your table, but If you ask Christine what you want the next day and its not on the slip, she will make it for you. Same for anything, if you at least ask for it or let them know there is an issue, they will go out of their way to resolve it quickly for you.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Dondo1982
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed at this hotel Monday till Friday. I am not pleased with this hotel for a start breakfast is at half 8 now me and my boyfriend are 18 and 19 so we like to go out for drinks but we felt like we could not have a couple of drinks when we where out because we had breakfast so early..my room was in need of a face lift. and my view out my window was of an old building that was falling down. me and my boyfriend where the only people their which was weird and after breakfast me and my boyfriend could not wait to get out the hotel. The owners where very nice but it was a shame the hotel was also in a very run down area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple