“great value”

Ranked #618 of 856 Blackpool B&B and Inns
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“great value”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I am looking to visit the Lakes this year and a great stopping of point will be the Osborne Where I stayed a number of years back. It was neat, clean and extremely friendly with a great breakfast but pride of place goes to Dave's Shepherd's Pie I will post a request note before I arrive. The Osborne is great value.
Anthony

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank anthony u

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2011

After our original Blackpool booking thru expedia fell thru when we checked in, we were eventually found alternate accommodation at The Osborne.
A basic family room with basic amenities, but just what we needed. (far better than sleeping in our car!!!).
We found all the UK beds too small (we are used to a Queen size being 6'1 & 5'9 tall)
A mini fridge would have been very useful for milk etc with 2 kids.
Perfect location.
We had a park spot, although parking could be an issue with so many hotels in the street!
Breakfast was great, as were our hosts.
We have already recommended The Osborne to friends who are planning to travel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank KENADE
Bolton, Lancashire
Reviewed 29 September 2011

The location was fine. The room was very below average. It was supposed to be a family room - there was a three quarter bed and a bunk plus a very small bathroom which just managed to fit a toilet, small sink and tiny shower. Really not sure how three stars have been awarded here?

However, the main point of this review is to highlight the rude, obnoxious, threatening behaviour which we encountered from the owner of this place.

My children and I arrived mid afternoon and we were let in to our room by the owner whilst my husband was parking the car. Once my husband arrived we headed out for a walk. At about five o'clock we returned to the room to freshen up. The lock on our door was broken and we couldn't get in to the room.

I found the owner eventually who tried the door himself. He then proceeded to say that it was somehow our fault and therefore our problem!! The lock had apparently been working for years with no problems. He was not to be reasoned with - in fact he was quite aggressive and intimidating. We had our children with us aged 2 and 4, and were not about to have a row with him or indeed break down the door ourselves (my husband is a barrister and a criminal damage charge would not be good!). Also, we are not argumentative people.

We called a local locksmith, which we paid for ourselves and he got in to the room in about ten seconds. He said that the locks are extremely cheap and loose and that the catch had locked the door itself when we closed it (it was an old loose Yale lock). He said that it is most definitely not the first time it had happened.

I am not a complainer - look at my other reviews, but in all my life I have never come across a situation where I have had to pay for a hotel's maintenance.

Breakfast was supposedly included - we were downstairs at eight the following morning and there was no-one to be seen. We were glad to leave.

Stay anywhere but here.

Room Tip: Do not choose room 2 unless you are a locksmith.