“boston week”

The Royal Boston Hotel
Ranked #13 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed 27 April 2012

another nice week at the Boston 16/20th april. the food could have been better. I agree with LDOLLY1987 the fish was not cooked enough for me either,and i had to send the chicken back as it was not cooked,it had some blood still in it.This was amended quickly and i was served a lovely cooked breast witch i requested. My only other complaint was the plates were not warmed up before serving resulting in cold food before my meal was finished.the dining room staff were pleasent,quick and efficient.The entertainment was not the worst, the irish compere was good and a lovely singer herself. Comedian Jimmy Nairn was fantastic, and Lena Martel was good but a bit late comming on at 11 o`clock at night, especially for my 85 year old mum.the bar staff were very capable and helpfull. The manager was very good as on our last day mum left her handbag at the tram stop. Blackpool transport services were not very helpfull and told me to phone back on the monday. The manager took over at this point and sent one of his staff to retreive mums bag, and it was returned in 30 minutes, with every thing intact,thank you Garry The rooms were very clean and nicely decorated, with clean towels every 2 days. Great house keeping staff, and very polite and friendly This was our second visit and hopefully not our last

1  Thank ann186534
There are newer reviews for The Royal Boston Hotel

Reviewed 25 April 2012

Was in blackpool for 5 days and stayed at this hotel and would recommend it for all ages. good food,good entertainment and very friendly and helpful staff.

1  Thank Andy T
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Just arrived back from the Boston after enjoying a lovely weekend at this hotel. Although basic, the rooms were very comfortable although ours a tad small, but for what we paid through Blackpool Promotions, great value for money. The hotel was clean and warm with very friendly staff who couldn't do enough for us. The meals were excellent (except for salads, which were ice cold!) and served with a smile, quickly and efficiently. As for the entertainment, on the three nights we stayed the entertainment was excellent, enjoyed as far as I could see by all. The bar prices were reasonabletoo, therefore people stayed in the hotel and not tempted to go out and seek cheaper bar prices. As the hotel is quite small everyone seemed to mix well and this created a very happy atmosphere. All in all a great weekend, highly reccomended!

6  Thank kathnsam
Reviewed 24 April 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and myself arrived 16th to 20th April 2012 to celebrate my 25th birthday something i was very much looking forward to. Having read various reviews we decided to stay at the boston hotel.
From the moment we walked in and got to our room i was wondering where the half million pound refurb was spent??!!
I will list all the negative points of the so called half million pound refurb!!!!!!!!!!!!
1) paint work all chipped on every door in corridors
2) shower door in room 105 DOES NOT CLOSE
3) floor boards squeek everywhere you walk
4) doors in bedrooms are not self locking (really old fashioned)
5) Breakfast was the same greasy fry up every morning
6) my boyfriend ordered fish and when he tasted it, it tasted nothing like fish more like if it was raw and when he complained to the spanish waitress (whos english is crap!!) he was told he could have the alternative sweet and sour pork but not the salad, he politely told her he doesnt like sweet n sour so my boyfriend said to forget it. The next thing the chef came out and approached my boyfriend with attitude asking why order fish if you dont like fish?? He replied i love fish but that fish you served was not cooked right! The chef then explained she was busy and if he could wait she would serve him salad and said it was the spanish waitress had got cross lines. When the chef returned to her kitchen the spanish waitress returned with his pudding, to which my boyfriend replied why would i want my pudding before my dinner? She then took it away and returned with his salad by this time we were both annoyed and knocked off our food. To top things off we both ended up really ill the next day. We spoke to some other elderly guests who had the fish also and they all agreed with my boyfriend but were scared to speak up and thought the way the chef spoke to my boyfriend infront of the dining room was very degrading and embarassing.
7) we made friends with an older couple in there 80s and on the 3rd day the old man took not well and his wife asked at the reception if they could get a doctor but she was told no and was told she would have to travel to see one, she then approached my boyfriend very distressed asking for advice on what to do so my boyfriend took the lady downstairs to the reception and ask that they call an ambulance this time there was no problem they phoned straight away.
8) PACK YOUR OWN TOWELS!! The hotel ones are more like hand towels and you have to ask for your own toilet roll after the rooms been serviced which i found embarassing.
100% for housekeeping ( cleanliness and tidyness first class.... Beds and bathroom were spotless ) plus they were very friendly and polite.
Some of the entertainment was ok but mostly directed to the older generation.
Due to the poor quality of food and being embarassed in front of other guests i will NEVER RETURN OR STAY HERE AGAIN!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012
11  Thank Ldolly1987
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Just returned from a say at this hotel for the Grand National 2012. I was lucky enough to win the trip from myself and a friend so I cannot comment on the price. We arrived on Friday 13th April and left on Sunday 15th by lunchtime.

I found the hotel to be adequate. Not the best hotel I've stayed in, but there was nothing wrong with it either. Our room was on the 2nd floor. It was clean and had a lovely view. I was a little disappointed that our room didn't have a shower, but it had a bath toilet and basin which was clean and fresh.
Although i noticed a few things that may lead to disaster down the line eg. that the tiles weren't grouted in some areas, the side cabinets at the bed were a bit wobbly etc. but during my stay everything was fine. no complaints what so ever.

All the staff were great. Friendly and helpful. The bar staff especially so, as they spent the whole Friday night mixing cocktails for us without complaining. The entertainment on the Friday night was fun. Meals were nice too.

In conclusion, I would describe the hotel is nice. Perfect for a budget break. Very good staff, who coped well as the hotel was very busy.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank heather47
BostonManager, Manager at The Royal Boston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Dear heather47

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review on our trip advisor page. Firstly i would like to congratulate you on winning the holiday, and many thanks for your kind comments.

Our staff always aim to please and I was delighted to hear you enjoyed our cocktails and that our bar staff looked after you. I will pass on your thanks to our bar staff and once again thank you very much for leaving your review.

Hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Just back from a Grand National Weekend at the Boston Hotel with Blackpool Promotions, coach trip, race entrance a half board at the Boston Hotel, excellent value for money.

The hotel is basic, but very clean, and very friendly and helpful staff. The rooms were lovely and warm, clean and comfortable with plenty of tea, coffee etc, and a fantastic hot shower. Bar staff were nice and friendly and bar prices were excellent I would recommend any of the cocktails at a bargain price of £3.50 each.

Joe and his team of staff in the restaurant could not have been better, service was great, excellent attention to detail and you were never left wanting for anything it ran like clockwork. The food was excellent value for money, always hot and always a good choice of items, mostly homemade.

Evening entertainment not quite my cup of tea, but it was very popular with most of the other residents.

Its down at the north end of blackpool, some may say a bit far from the attractions, but i liked the peace and quiet of the area, and with an excellent bus and tram service that stops almost at the door what more could you ask for. We will definately be back, many thanks to all the staff for making our short stay very pleasant.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank WAORDS

Dear WAORDS

Sounds like you really had a great time at our hotel, hope you won at the Grand National Races!.

Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding our staff, the food and our Hotel in general. At The Boston hotel our staff work so hard to make sure our guests feel very welcome. It was very encouraging to hear you felt so welcomed at The Boston Hotel.

I would be delighted to pass on your comments to our bar staff, kitchen staff and of course Joe.

If you would care to let us know what entertainment is your cup of tea, perhaps on your next visit we may be able to fix that for you. So all the boxes are ticked on your next visit. Feedback is always welcomed and thank you so much for letting us know about your holiday experience with us.

See you soon.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

This was the 1st time i had been to this hotel. I was with three relatives, one of which required a wheelchair...that was fun having to fold the chair each time we used the lift and then one of us having to be an honourary contorsionist to stand beside it, secretly hoping you would see daylight again...

Anyway, I'll start with the negatives :-

*As mentioned before the lift for two people alone looked more like a converted lift shaft for food.
*The caberet acts were defintely aimed for the senior age group and was pretty much same old same old every night They could maybe have had something different on each night e.g., stand up comedy, magicians, a quiz night, anything but singers who droned their way through songs that sounded like they belonged in the ice age or from people who couldn't even make it past the holding pen for Pop Idol! Like i said id never been so maybe they have tried alternative methods of entertainment, if not, it's beyond me they have "regulars".

*I was extremely disappointed with Gary Orr, one of the managers. If he was going for a managerial position in incompetancy, he'd sail through. One night my family member took quite ill, we read our littlle post-it sized piece of card we received on arrival in case of such an event shoud occur. It advised us all we had to do was contact reception who get in touch with a local GP. He disappeared and came back with a number scrawled on his hand, how very professional (note to self Gary - mention this experience to future incompetency interviews.Bonus points all round i reckon, that's definitely a guaranteed second interview). He dialled the number but apparently it was the wrong number, he immediately offered the alternative of sending for an ambulance. Passing the buck or pretending to try and help - you decide. We chose to go to this medical centre - we asked where about it was - "about 5-10 minutes" - well what a helpful reply, considering we live just short of 200 miles away, funnily enough we don't frequent this medical centre so directions would've helped. We phoned a taxi, and told him where we were going and he asked why we hadn't just dialled 111 (basically the equivalant of NHS 24. a)Why did Gary not mention this procedure? b)Did he not know? - There are no signs in the hotel to give out this advce, surely this is something all managers should be aware of and be resonsible to inform all staff or c)I'm sure Blackpool Promotioms should be ensuring all hotels that they suggest to potentil customers are fully up date and make sure all health and safety notices, afterall they rely on these hotels to maintain thier business. A taxi there and back and £16 worse off (not that we begrudged paying in the slightest) everything was ok. If Gary had been more professional, this carry on would have never had happened. When we returned Gary never even blinked an eye. It would've be nice for him to really push the boat out and ask how everthing was, but no no, ignorance over-ruled.

Now to the positives:-

*Our room was one of the newly refurbished ones with a seaview, It was very clean and presentable. The bathroom was nicely neutrally decorated and spotless. There was more than enough storage space, the tv was a bonus too!

*The bar and waiting staff are excellent. Maria is an absolute asset to the hotel. she couldn't do enough for us and nothing was an issue for her, never once did i see her without a smile on her face.

*The price for the break was resonable as were the bar prices.

Room Tip: I would recommend a first floor room (what with the lift), a refurbished roon with a seaview would b...
3  Thank min_25_12