“Excellent Breakfast - shame about the rest”
Review of The Avon Hotel

The Avon Hotel
The Avon Hotel
Ranked #380 of 861 Blackpool B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Front of house - flaking paint, dismall and derelict looking.
Room - as front of house, dismall and derelict looking
Bathroom - as front of house, dismall and derelict looking
Gasping for air after climbing 3 flights of very steep stairs!!!
Breakfast - very good - can't fault it
Proprieter obliging and helpful, took our cases to our room (as we arrived early and went shopping)
This 'Hotel'??? (more back street boarding house) is in GREATneed of a facelift and at £50.00 for a twin room plus breakfast for 2 people - we were robbed.
You can get cheaper deals at Premier Inn whose accommodation is light, spacious, modern and for an extra charge the breakfasts are absolutely fantastic (enough to feed an army!!)

Room Tip: My tip is - don't bother
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank liz2108
Snicket, Owner at The Avon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2012

We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.. We are also sorry you felt you could not tell us,in person.

We would never book anybody over the phone at the top of the hotel without pre- warning them of the stairs, of course some people do book online where the onus is on them to request a low room, or other special needs in the special request section... did you..?? or did you just take a chance..??

Its fortunate for us other Guests who have left reviews seem to have a different opinion to you about our rooms:-

“I give this Hotel 5*, will be staying here again when I visit Blackpool”

“Room had everything u need an very clean with modern décor”

“The Rooms are fantastic with plenty of room and I agree with another one of the reviews that the beds are soft and probably one of the best I have slept in, in a B&B”

But we will take on board what you say .

With regard to your comment about Premier Inn I can only agree with you they do offer good value for money, but you cannot stay in the Premier Inn in Central Blackpool on a Friday or Saturday night for £50 including breakfast… lets not forget the breakfast costs £8.25 per person and although the web site says from… £34.00 per room there are very few days when that price applies (you try doing the search). Also I am very interested to know why as you sing the praises of Premier Inns have you not reviewed any of their hotels, you have been submitting reviews on TripAdvisor since May 2010..??? and although you seem to indicate you have stayed at and enjoyed several Premier Inns you have not reviewed any of the stays…??

To close you said you enjoyed our breakfast ”It was very good - can’t fault it“.. Again working on the Premier Inn price of £8.25 per person for their breakfast and applying that to our rate.. And taking that away from the £50 you paid us e.g. £50 minus £16.50, it means bed only you stayed with us for £16.75 each a total of £33.50 for the room… There are hotels in Blackpool where you pay £20 Per Person, £40.00 room only and have to sleep on a mattress on the floor..

Once again we are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.. I guess it’s a case of you cannot please all the people all of the time.

Oh and Dismall is spelt with only one L.. as in:-

Dismal is how I felt after reading your review. :-)

Reviewed 26 August 2012

I came over to Blackpool to surprise my parents and booked to stay at Avon, I was a single traveller, upon arrival was greated by a lovely lady from the hotel, she was polite and friendly, told me about my room, the do' s and dont's without the attitude you get from some hotel owners, on my first morning breakfast was great by both the lady and gentleman of the hotel and I can not fault them for their excellent service I give this hotel 5*, well be staying here again when I visit Blackpool, many thanx Ali from Chesterfield.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank NanaAl

Many thanks, Glad you enjoyed your stay..

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Lovely hotel & lovely ppl they really do go above an beyond an made our stay the best in Blackpool ever, room has everything u need an very clean with modern decor. Can't comment on breakfast as we got up to late an missed out :( great location would definetly stay again :-)))) x

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Amandjamie0161
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I have just returned from my third visit to the Avon and I would like to say thanks to Chris and Jeanette, I first discovered the Avon with my husband when we came for a night last year and on leaving I was so impressed I booked for myself and three friens who like the odd girlie weekend, we then rebooked for our May outing. I can honestly say the Avon is great it is idealy located 5 mins from shops and probably the same to the front. we are not young clubbing types and prefer to visit the pubs before ending up in the infamous Ma Kellys to watch the entertainment ( ha ha) The Avon is about a 10 min walk so if sober enough at the end of the night its not too far or only about a fiver in a taxi The rooms are fantastic with plenty of room and I agree with one of the other reviews that the beds are soft and probably one of the best I have slept in in a B and B, one of my friends is proper fussy when it comes to breakfast so we love the idea of being able to pre-order and pick and mix the breakfast items, Chris and Jeanette are great they are always around if you need them, but not OTT in your face as you find in some places and are genuinely lovely hardworking people this B an B is a gem would reccomend it for couples and small groups and cant wait for our next weekend away which will defo find us staying at the Avon.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank cfb345
Reviewed 21 May 2012

perfect for the blackpool nightlife and attractions. Has parking which is a bonus and the staff were brilliant.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank sabrook
Reviewed 2 April 2012

stayed here for 1 night on a girly weekend 31.3.12, service excellent breakfast fantastic, the bed was the best i have slept in ever in a bnb, would defo recommend and would love to come back next year, Only down side they was no bar but local shop next door was gd for booze.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My husband stayed here for four nights for magic convention and it was an ideal location for the winter gardens. A lovely warm welcome and well appointed little hotel He was given a family room with one double ant two twin beds and there was no under occupancy supplement which is a nice welcome surprise in todays day and age. I joined him on the sunday evening for one night and that was no problem for the lovely owners.
A lovely selection at breakfast I had the full english and this was beautifully cooked to perfection. The only downside for us is the fact there was no car parking even though when we made the booking we were told there were spaces for a few cars but this is not the case bit we did park on Talbot Road multi storey for £12 for 96 hours which we thought was good value for money. The other problem they dont open the bar in the winter months and usually at conventions people like to gather in the evenings to discuss the events. On the whole good value for money and we would certainly consider staying there again

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple