“Very Poor service and standard of food”

David Ferguson at The Belmont
Ranked #270 of 1,189 Restaurants in Leicester
Price range: US$0 - US$86
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We had an 8pm booking and we surprised to walk in to a completely empty restaurant. Considering this, it took 15 mins for the waiter to come and ask us for our order. It then took a further 20mins for our cocktails to turn up. The Sosho Cooler was near tasteless and very watered down. 10min later the starter turned up. The starters were okay, but nothing special. We ordered a second round of cocktails which again took 10 minutes, the cream in the blackforest martini had some sort of papery residue in it and the Poison Ivy was again watery and tasteless.We had to wait a further 20 minutes between the plates of our starters and our mains being delivered, the steak was okay but the sea bass was completely tasteless and saffron potato tasted of air, I had to pour salt on to get any sort of flavour. We ordered a side of chips but these were undercooked. At this point we were getting feed up of the wait and lack of taste. I decided to order a dessert anyway. I ordered the Plum tartin (which states a 8-10 cooking time) so I expected to wait, however 15 minutes later a trifle was delivered. Considering there was absolutely no one else in the restaurant, there is no good reason to get the order wrong. When we mentioned it was the wrong order, they apologised but said we would have to wait a further 10 minutes for the plum tartin. Now knowing this would probably be 20 minutes and it was getting on to 10pm, we kept the trifle (which was okay, but prepared in a glass jar) and asked for the bill. would definitely not recommend this place if they can't even wait on 2 people correctly.

BelmontHotel, Raj Pandya F&B manager at David Ferguson at The Belmont, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Dear LanieD21
I'm so sorry for the delays and issues you experienced, hopefully as you can see by other reviews this is not the normal experience for guests in Windows. Sadly on the night of your meal we were one chef short and had a large function in another part of the hotel, which caused the delays. I will pass on your comments about the cocktails to our bar manager.
My apologies once again that the service & food you received was not up to our usual standards.

There are newer reviews for David Ferguson at The Belmont

Reviewed 6 April 2013

Based in the Belmont Hotel Windows on New Walk is the re-branded hotel restaurant which is open to guests and the general public. The décor is modern and fresh. It has an informal, relaxed atmosphere but still makes the customer feel important and provides very good service levels. The staff are all very friendly, helpful, attentive and well presented. The menu is contemporary and the food we had was excellent quality at a reasonable price. If you want a hip place to share a meal with friends or someone special then you could do a lot worse than take them here. Maybe have a cocktail or two in the bar waiting area first.

Reviewed 5 March 2013

I could not fault anything in the restaurant. The only slight issue was the bar staff after the meal were a little rude!

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Reviewed 3 March 2013

My wife and I had a lovely relaxing Sunday lunch at this restaurant. Our main course was quite a time arriving but it was excellent when it did! A request for extra veg and gravy was given prompt attention. The serving staff were courteous and very attentive.

BelmontHotel, Mike Butler Restaurant Supervisor at David Ferguson at The Belmont, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Dear Michael

Many thanks for your review, apologies for the delay on your main. Really pleased you found us curteous & attentive - we aim to please!

I look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 19 February 2013

My boyfriend and I visited Windows as a last minute dinner date. When we arrived we thought we may be the only people dining there that evening as it was so quiet, but the atmosphere picked up when more diners arrived. We were expecting quite a choice on the menu (we had looked online beforehand) however there was only a limited choice available as they were still running their valentines day menu. I wasnt convinced that I would like any of the choices but we gave it a go and were so glad that we did. The food was excellent, well presented and correctly portioned. In particular the pork belly dish was especially well put together. The servers were very polite and helpful, and very generous with wine portions! I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting quality traditional food with a modern twist that is obviously made with skill.

BelmontHotel, Mike Butler Restaurant Supervisor at David Ferguson at The Belmont, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

Dear Enrique
Thanks so much for your review, all my team are very pleased with your comments, and that, despite the set Valentines menu, you enjoyed your dishes! We look forward to welcoming you back to Windows on New Walk