“Quaint but Tatty” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Spindle Lodge Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Leicester
Spindle Lodge Hotel
Ranked #30 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Edmonton, Canada
“Quaint but Tatty”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

Chose this B&B for its central location despite lukewarm reviews. I can see where Manager M. could be off putting with her incessant opinionated chatter, and not terribly accomodating. However, we found her charming and personable. Am not a prima donna type, but concur with an earlier reviewer that the victorian charm of this historic building is spoiled by the layers of dust and grime on the numerous, tacky knick knacks. The shower had rust and the towels were thin as paper. The mattresses were so bad I was plagued with back pain for days after checking out. That said, the linens were clean and our room was tidied daily and it was quiet and safe feeling for two women. The owners should invest in upgraded linens and mattresses, fresh paint and a thorough clean if they want better reviews.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank quesera54

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

A friend of mine and I planned to stay at this Inn for four nights, but left after the second for a few reasons. When we arrived we were greeted at the door with a insult disguised as a jest and the question "what are you doing here". We replied that we had a reservation, and the woman said she was joking, and went on to poke fun at our having two suitcases, and then to criticize past guests and the areas of study of other students that stayed there while studying abroad. This sort of behavior set the tone for the rest of our discourse with this woman. She explained she was "just giving us a hard time," but really she just made us feel alienated and unwelcome. Many people might find this sort of behavior charming, but we felt as though she used this sort of dialogue to insure she always had the upper hand in the conversation, or to prevent any sort of real discussion from ever happening. In short, we were talked at rather than with, and most of the talk consisted in "playful" insults. Further, breakfast was all but shoved down our throats even though it wasn't to our taste, and when we decided not to eat the next day (to prevent this from happening again) we had to endure a few minutes chastisement for going to get breakfast elsewhere.

Had this been our first introduction to England, and had we not known better than to assume all of the country was equally unpleasant, we would have left the country with a rather bad impression. Which is unfortunate, because I'm sure many foreigners stay at this inn and might assume otherwise. Overall we didn't at all enjoy our stay while we were there, and in hindsight it seems even more unpleasant. On the plus side, though, it is in a really good location and was cleaner than it might've been. So if you're looking for a clean place to stay in a good location in Leicester, than this might be the place for you. But if you want to feel welcome and like you've found some semblance of a home-away-from-home, than I think you would be happier in a hotel or something. And I especially wouldn't recommend this inn to someone who, like me, would like to feel comfortable in a homey place while traveling either internationally or nationally.

Room Tip: Don't sleep in room sixteen--mainly because the bathroom lights flickered multiple times mysteri...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Leicester hotels

Bradford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012 via mobile

I'm absolutely amazed by some of the reviews Spindle has got and, I'll be honest, they made me think twice about booking.

What I found, however, was something very warm and refreshing. Unlike the spotless chain hotels, this hotel does have a lot of dust, some worn decoration and some well trodden carpets. But the things that matter, ie the dining room, kitchen, bathroom, bed linen and towels were spotless. The bed was comfortable, the breakfast delicious and the service...well what can I say? One review spoke about a lukewarm reception, another about Basil Fawlty esq staff. These people must either have stayed at an entirely different hotel to me or have been indoctornated by the "seen but not heard" culture the chains put out there.

It's true that this hotel is communal. Melba, our host, is someone with as much character and quirk as the building itself, who warms the room with conversation. On the first morning I was about to start a new job, another girl was going to a uni interview and a third guest was going to see her husband who was very ill in hospital. Despite this huge tension, Melba kept the atmosphere light and we all left breakfast with smiles on our face. When I last stayed at a Premier Inn I have no idea who else stayed there!

The following morning I met other guests and realised that, like any place of character, this hotel has its followers and regulars who return here time and again.

As a single traveller not needing an en-suite room, but having a shower two steps down the hall, I paid less than half what I would have at the chain...so all things considered, I'll return here again too!

I'd rather have a slightly dusty room filled with character and love than a room that is soulless and stuffy - much like some of the other reviews!

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank kevin_cw
Devon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights because it was inexpensive and a short walk from where I was working. The room was small and the shower could do with resealing but the sheets were clean and the bed very comfy. It is in a quiet area and sleep quality was good. For the price you can't complain.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Leslogs
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

I have stayed here twice so far in order to attend compulsory university courses. The first time (June 2010) I had a twin room which was quite large. The second time (May 2011) I had a smaller single room and it was a bit difficult to get there with a heavy suitcase. I can understand some of the reviews and I wouldn't recommend looking behind the closets BUT the bathroom was cleaned every day (apparently not a standard in other B&Bs) and the tea and coffee making facilities filled. The rooms are quite Victorian style with dark furniture but this is part of the atmosphere. The owner is charming and makes you feel at home where mom is taking care of you! I appreciated that and it makes up for the dusty bit! It is in a quiet street right at the beginning of New Walk not even 10 mins walking from the train station and about 15 mins to the university which was very convenient for me!

Room Tip: on first floor if you have a heavy suitcase!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Anna K
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

I'm astonished at the negative reviews below! OK, it's not a five-star establishment, but I had a very pleasant stay. The owner is extremely nice, the room was fine (I booked and paid for a single and was given a twin), the bed comfortable, the shower hot and with great water pressure, the location perfect - extremely handy for the rail station and university, and very quiet, and the breakfast was great. OK, some things were a little tatty round the edges, but I still can't recommend the place highly enough for anyone who just wants a comfortable, no-fuss place to stay for a night or two. Great value for money!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Alamoria
Peterborough, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

If you like Swedish light wood furniture, and simply want to be left alone to do your own thing then this is not the place for you.

The style is definitely Victorian in nature, including lots of dark wood and "fussy" decoration. However, if you like that sort of thing, then there are loads of original features, including the mosaic tiled floor to the entrance hall.

The member of staff that greeted us was more than firendly and very helpful. However, it you're used to staff that barely open their mouths, then you're in for a shock. This lady could talk for England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland! If you're happy to engage in conversation then great - if not, you could find it intrusive.

That said, the loacation is very good, and a reasonable walk from the City centrre and main attractions. It has the huge advantage of free parking (limited space but usually sufficent), and a full English breakfast - which was very enjoyable.

Overall, this place is unashamedly old-fashioned. If you like modern - go somewhere else. If you want good value and old-fashioned features and service, then it will suit you just fine.

Room Tip: Free parking, good breakfast. Not for IKEA lovers.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple