“Good value and location”

Premier Inn Leicester City Centre Hotel
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
United Kingdom
“Good value and location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2011

Hadn't stayed in PI for years so was a bit dubious and thought hotel would be very basic. It definately wasn't! Excellent location 2 minutes walk from the railway station and very convenient for walking into town. We ate breakfast there both mornings, only booking second morning after we had sampled the first! Food was very good and for 7.99 was much better value for money than several of the top-end chains. We ate dinner there on one evening, and again food was very good and restaurant staff were friendly and accommodating. Room was clean and spacious and decent bathroom. Only niggle was the overnight temperature in the room was 28 degrees which we couldn't fix via the thermostat in the room. We told the desk staff in the morning and they dropped it down. Would stay there again. Haven't given 5 stars on sleep quality and room because of the heating!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Leicester City Centre Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2011
Thanks for your review we are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We welcome your feedback as it is very important to us that our guests enjoy their stay with Premier Inn and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2010

Great place to stay. Good for sightseeing, shopping, restaurants and pubs - and we tried it all in Leicester.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2010

Very comfortable, had everything you need and generally very helpful staff. In the budget market, by far the leaders.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2010

Everyone is right about the location, really couldn't be better. Very spacious room for the price, big TV etc. Hadn't stayed in a Premier Inn before so didn't realise the wifi isn't free, which was a downside, as was the non-opening window (I hate air con!) but the staff were lovely, the room and bathroom clean, and on arriving at the conference I was in town for I had had a much better time of it than all my colleagues at the various travellodges etc. Not a scenic location but really very good for business travel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2010

Have stayed here many times and haven't been disappointed yet . The staff are very friendly even if they could learn to shut up some rowdy bar regulars!! The food is as you would expect but okay. Bedrooms clean, linen fresh. Good value and professional.

• Stayed November 2010
ALL OVER THE WORLD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

I travel for a living, but this was a rare personal trip, back to my home town. I decided to stay in a hotel rather than with family and picked the Premier Inn for it's location and value, it averaged out at less than 40 pounds a night for the room.

The location is amazing, being born and bred in Leicester I knew exactly where it was before I visited, but for those of you who do not have a good working knowledge of the city, it is almost attached to Leicester Train Station and is around a five minute walk to Leicester's Clock Tower and the shopping and sights that are around. The Universities are also very close and the Curve Theatre is almost right next door as well.

Some people have commented about noise. I was on the eighth floor, admittedly, but I never had an issue, infact, on one of my last nights in the hotel, there was a huge fire in Leicester City Centre, which you could see from my room. I never heard a thing until I saw it on TV the following morning.

Premier Inn is what it is, no frills... it does excactly what it says on the tin. If you are looking for a vacation property, it is probably not the best option, but if you need somewhere as a base, there is nowhere better.

The service levels tend to be high in these properties, this is the first stay I have had with premier, but I have had dealings with them before, booking accom. for family members. The rooms are larger, cleaner and more well equipped than other budget hotels I have stayed in (Etap, Campanile and Ibis in the UK and Motel 6 and Super 8 in the US).

The room was oversized, with a comfortable bed, medium sized flatscreen TV which had Freeview and around 20 channels of programming. A desk, office chair and a comfy chair. Closet wise, there is no enclosed storage, only open shelves and a closet with around 6 hotel style hangers that slip into holes. There was tea and coffee making facilities in the room.

The bathroom, again, was larger than I would have expected, with a full bath with shower overhead. The one confusion was the wash basin, trying to work out how to drain the sink.... there is no button or plunger, you have to put your hand into the water and the stopper rotates to drain the basin. Not a big deal, but unusual.

Linens were clean, although an item of my clothing stained the duvet cover and it was not changed until 2 days later.

One service thing that did concern me is that I left the hotel without my room key one day. Later, when I went to reception, all that was needed to get my room key reissued was my room number and name.... I was expecting to have to show some form of ID.

Remember, there are no irons in the room. Apparently, a small number are available from reception, although I bought a cheap one locally.

The one grie I have with the hotel is parking. Free parking is available in the basement, which is very unusual for a city centre hotel. The parking is limited, which is expressed on the website... there are around 30 - 40 free parking spaces and if the free spaces are full, there are parking spaces adjacent which are just 5.50 GBP per 24 hours, with in and out allowed.

The problem is with the space you have. Anyone driving a large car (I was only in a Ford Fiesta and had challenges) or anyone who has less than amazing parking skills will struggle to get their vehicles in and out of the parking spaces. There are lots of concrete pillars and the space to park the car and manouvre is SMALL. There are a about 8 of the Premier parking spaces in the larger car park, and when possible I would park there and walk through to reception rather than risk bumping the rental car trying to get into the small spaces.

Internet is available at 20GBP for the week, which is not too bad... it is of a decent speed, not amazing, but better than many hotels I have stayed in.

Overall, a great stay at a good price. If you aree looking to be pampered or feel special, then the Premier brand is not for you, but if you are looking for good value, clean, convenient accomodation, you cannot go wrong. I would stay here again and intend to on mynext trip back to my motherland!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank oceanmatt
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

Stayed here for three nights over the weekend for the Summer Sundae festival. The location is excellent, being right next to Leicester mainline station and a fifteen minute walk to De Montford Hall.

Checkin was rather slow but friendly. Our room was on the 4th floor and walking in, it smelt like an entire canister of air freshener had been used in there - not the best thing when the windows are locked shut. Cigarette burns in the curtain soon eluded to the fact this was to hide the smell of stale smoke.

On the plus side, the rooms have very comfortable beds, air con, decent bath/shower and Freeview flatscreen TVs.

We were awoken constantly from 6am the following morning due to our room being adjacent to a service door which the staff constantly let slam. To the hotel's credit, when I complained about this, I was refunded the cost of my first night's stay and assured that the staff would be spoken to and the staff member on reception was excellent.

We then arrived back on the Saturday night to find our room had not been serviced meaning damp towels, an unmade bed, dirty cups and no tea/coffee. I phoned reception and was provided with clean towels but this should not have happened.

This is the first time I have stayed at a Premier Inn and I can't say much has made me inclined to stay here again apart from the location. Last time we came to Leicester, we stayed in the Ramada and I think we will do so next time.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple