“Very poor”

The Boot Room Restaurant
Ranked #271 of 1,218 Restaurants in Leicester
Price range: US$14 - US$55
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Occupying a former Leicester shoe factory, The Boot Room restaurant in Leicester, serves simple, yet special food made with fresh, quality & seasonal ingredients. The Boot Room restaurant has quickly become one of Leicester’s premier restaurants, supported by the comfortable and relaxed atmosphere with just a hint of the buildings industrial past. We have a simple and effective philosophy to “Buy quality ingredients, treat them well, and let your customer enjoy the experience.” The Boot Room is owned by Stephen and Tracey Fitzpatrick who also run The Joiners, a successful restaurant in Bruntingthorpe, Leicestershire.
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We went for a celebratory meal. Only five in our party. Starters were mostly ok. My soup was in a warmed bowl which was pleasing, sadly that the soup was not heated properly. I had another starter in place of main course this time the prawns these again were served lukewarm with dipping sauces pored over. The over cooked prawns and congealing sauce rendered this inedible after 2 prawns. Rocket dressing so salty I could not eat more than half. Two medium steaks ordered were served so underdone at least one was cold. Sauces poured onto plates in kitchen, not served alongside. Result the very thin sauce meant soggy chips. Our host enjoyed advised the waiter when asked that everything was fine. I would however have expected some further enquiries of the three diners who left 90% of their meal. At just under £200 for 6 strarters, 2 beers, one bottle of wine, 2 water, 4 mains and 2 deserts one of which was left after two teaspoons, this place is not for me!

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Went for my birthday meal on the back of the reputation of The Boot Room's sister restaurant(which is fantastic). Arrived expecting big things, but left so disappointed. From start to finish the managers attitude was so bad I was actually shocked. He took our drinks order like it was the end of the world. A member of our party ordered the sirloin steak special but it was anything but special. The steak had a huge bit of fat running straight through the centre which his steak knife could do nothing with. So we asked for it to be replaced but was shocked at what came out. The replacement steak looked as if it had been run over by a large vehicle, it was also tough and flavourless. We mentioned this yet the the manager made no attempt to even apologise let alone rectify the situation. We asked for the bill and to our horror we were charged full price for the terrible steak which we queried and was removed. When we paid the manager still offered no apology, I was livid and disgusted by his actions or lack of.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Went on a Wednesday evening. The restaurant was very quiet, with only two tables occupied including ours.

Service:
Weren't informed what the 'soup of the day' was - surely that's something that all restaurants tell you if it's on the menu. I'd say that overall the service was very basic, "are you ready to order?" "do you want dessert?" No special effort was made - especially considering there were two waiting staff to two tables (they mostly stood and talked between having to do anything!) I'd almost go to far as to say I've had better service at McDonalds!

Food:
It was very nice. At £19 for a steak and chips, this place isn't particularly cheap, but the steak was tender and tasted good.

Ambience:
It was quiet so difficult to judge as it may have been better on another day. I'd say it had a 'converted warehouse chic' thing going on.

The place was nice and the food was very good but the service let it down. At £19 for a main course I expect more. I only tip good service and this place didn't deliver that, so didn't get a tip.

2  Thank danieljamesbrown
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I have eaten here a few times but doubt I will again. The food is better than average, but we were kept waiting an age between courses. It was also difficult to get the waitresses attention. I found it extremely noisy and because of the bad acoustics of the room you can only hear the person directly next to you.

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We were a large group so had a party menu to choose from in advance. I had delicious mushrooms and bacon on gluten free toast, risotto and a chocolate mousse desert. The option for desert on the original menu was just ice cream, so I emailed and asked for something better, and they came up with 3 nicer options! Everyone in the group was really happy with their food and good service.