“Excellent hotel for what you pay.”

Holiday Inn Leicester
Ranked #9 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I spent only a few hours in the hotel, since I made the check-in at 2 am (late check-in), but I could say that it's a very good hotel. It's very clean, and the staff was very welcoming. The room had a big TV, hair dryer, a bath, European standard sockets, and the bed was very comfortable. I also made use of the luggage room, since I arrived in Leicester before the check-in time. The location is pretty good as well, only a few minutes walking from the bus or train stations, and in the city centre area.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Tavua, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. We are pleased to note you enjoyed all aspects of your stay including the product quality and service you received.

Reviewed 3 July 2013

Stayed here in November last year. In a good location as was doing some christmas shopping! Hotel is a 5 minute walk from the shopping centre.
Room was clean and a good size. I booked via their own website and got a early bird deal, was very pleased with the price I paid. We even got 2 double beds in the room.
Food and drink in the hotel was reasonably priced.
The car park was a bit of a con! As we took 2 cars we had to pay separately for both and for the 2 nights we were there.
Overall I would recommend this hotel and it was worth the price!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

We acknowledge receipt of your review from your stay in November last year and are pleased to note you found this a pleasant and enjoyable experience. Thank you for your time.

Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

Pleased with all aspects of this hotel . The swimming pool was a bit bleached but else ideal for town . Breakfast and dinner was off good standard but town is so near for other diets though if you want value for money best eat else where . Room was off good standard though my soft pillow was far softer than theirs

• Stayed: June 2013

We acknowledge receipt of your feedback and thank you for taking the time to complete the review.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

If you like shopping this hotel is overlooking Leicester's High Cross shopping centre and a 5min walk to the Lanes, market and other shopping areas. A 3min walk to the Cathedral and if you like a drink then you only need cross the road and your night begins with loads of choices. There is a great choice of restaurants and take aways only a 2 min walk away.
I have stayed here a few times now and each time I can't fault the place. Bedrooms are always clean and spacious, the last two times I have been given an upgrade. I only stay on a bed and breakfast basis but the food is always fresh and the staff are very helpful. The hotel is in the centre of a main roundabout but you wouldn't know until you look out.
Great location, lovely staff and a very clean hotel.

Room Tip: The higher rooms have some great views over Leicester.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

As a return visitor we welcome your positive feedback, particularly regarding the quality of food and staff service. Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Reviewed 26 June 2013

The corridors smell musty, the bar smells of BO and if you are a veggie, you get to eat a sort've chilli pie with mash that could render walls. The rooms are OK and the bed was comfy. The staff were all friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2013

Dear LFM52,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. We are delighted to read you found our staff friendly and helpful. However, we regret our hotel was not able to live up to your expectations. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of product and services we offer to our guests.

Connie D
Case Manager

Reviewed 26 June 2013

Don't be put off the fact that this hotel is in the middle of a roundabout, as it is centrally located and ideal for the town. The food was good, particularly the selection for breakfast. Staff exceptionally friendly and helpful.

1  Thank Simon B

Your positive reference to the service you received from the staff is particularly appreciated. Thank you for the feedback.

Reviewed 22 June 2013

Yes, I know we stayed at this hotel on a really good deal for a two double bedded room including breakfast buffet and I know we only stayed one night but having taken all of that into consideration, the advertised price for some rooms was over £200 and if I had paid that much I seriously think i would have complained.

The staff were all lovely, check in welcome was friendly and very quick, the bar staff were polite and smiley, the restaurant staff at breakfast were very good, running here there and everywhere to get what we wanted quickly. Just one small point, lemon flavoured green tea, which we were given every time we purchased a drink is not the same as green tea, which was what we asked for.

So, the staff were great, what about the room? In a nutshell, grubby and depressing. Rather than relax in our room after a long journey we actually went to watch a film because we just found the room so depressing.

The room was old and tired, the decor was almost prison institution yellowy off cream with streaks of grime and ingrained dirt on the edges and corners where years of hands had rubbed across them.

The furniture was dark wood, scratched, tired and best suited to a bric a brac store. The bathroom was also grubby with the previous occupants whiskers and hair still evident around the sink, tiles and grout discoloured and dirty, even the shower was so old and feeble it was more akin to a demonstration of a prostate condition, managing a fairly weak dribble of a flow. The rack on which the towels were stored was hanging off the wall and only held on by the fact that the plaster, which had come away, was being retained by the wallpaper strengthened by numerous layers of paint. Luckily it was under very little strain due to the threadbare state of the towels which were a rather depressing shade of light grey rather than white and, in any case, had the towel rack fallen we could have lashed it back in place in a seamanlike manner using the loose threads hanging off the towels.

We were on the 8th floor. Luckily I spent many years serving in submarines so I am not claustrophobic. I am also a mere 5 feet 8 inches tall (handy if you are a submariner) but even then, in the passageways my head wasn't that far from the ceiling. Anyone of 6 feet or more would have had to stoop while walking the gloomy passageways, much resembling a prison landing, en route to their room.

The room service was very quick and although I feel a bit aggrieved at paying almost £15 for a cheese and tomato sandwich, a beef and horseradish sandwich and a few crisps, that was my choice. I could have walked to the Subway sandwich shop just down the road had I not been suffering from a dose of severe laziness after a 200 mile drive.

The breakfast was reasonable although, to be honest, I would expect more of a choice than just cranberry or orange juice, more of a choice than just muesli or crunchy nut cornflakes and my wife really would have liked her plain green tea instead of lemon flavoured green tea - again.
The pancake maker was a bonus I hadn't seen elsewhere but the cooked food was fairly aged and a bit dry with the exception of the fried eggs which the cook fried in front of me, The bacon and sausages had been sitting under the heat lamp for some time and the scrambled eggs were pretty much inedible due to having dried out after so long under the heat.

The hotel is in the middle of a roundabout which contains only the hotel and a car park. It's fairly noisy with the road on all sides.

Finally, parking is in the adjoining NCP car park which is the only place to park unless you want a considerable walk. This costs you £10 for 24 hours which is below the normal cost but still exorbitant for hotel parking.

This sounds like a real diatribe against this hotel but we had a comfortable night's sleep and, if the owners would only take the time to redecorate and give the hotel a through refurbishment it could be an excellent place to stay due to its location right on the edge of the city centre. For the price I paid it was a reasonable deal, for someone paying the full price it would, I imagine, be very disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Dear Oberon1957,

We appreciate your feedback regarding our property. As customer service professionals, we strive to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us.

While we are pleased to hear that our staff went above and beyond to provide you with exceptional service, we would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations in regards to your guest room. I have taken note of your comments and suggestions and these have been shared with our management team for review.

While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be

Joel B