“Some issues letting the place down.”

Holiday Inn Leicester
Ranked #9 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed here on a work trip, whilst I think the hotel is in a fantastic location and facilities are good there is something lacking.

Check in was fine and the receptionist I dealt with was down to Earth and friendly. When I got to the room I was dissapointed, I felt it was a little dated and I had been put opposite the lifts so it was quite noisy.
The room itself were clean, very spacious but in need of a refurb. Very basic room amenities and no mini bar/fridge, it was also very warm and the hotel does not have air con.

I wanted to treat myself and have breakfast in bed, I ordered for 8.30am and by 8.50am it didn't turn up so I went down to the restaurant to get it myself. I stood for several minutes and got ignored by the staff, I was eventually seated and not told anything re the buffet etc and was left to it. Whilst I know how to get myself breakfast it would have been nice for them to explain what was on offer and where - something other hotels do as standard.

The breakfast was nice which in my eyes reedeemed the hotel more, there was a nice selection on offering and a pancake machine - sadly I didn't have time to use it as I had to have my breakfast quickly due to them not bringing it to my room.

I felt the staff and service let the hotel down, for me if a hotel is a little dated or there are elements that are not brilliant having a strong staff on duty can really bump up my opinion of the hotel - on this occasion all I can remember from my stay is that the hotel staff were somewhat lacking.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the lifts!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank KellyM547
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear KellyM547,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am glad that you liked our location. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. However, I apologize if the level of service received and room condition did not meet your standards. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades. Thank you again for your review and we hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Charisse V.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We came to Leicester for a music festival and stayed a the Holiday Inn.
The hotel is nicely located, close to the high street where you can find shops, pubs and restaurants.
The breakfast was very ggod, plenty of variety for all tastes!
The room we booked was huge and very nice and clean. The only small issues we met were with the safe that did not work. I called the reception and as we arrived in the evening, nobody could come and fix it. We did not use it and did not meet any issue so that was fine.
The minibar contained two free bottles of water which we appreciated. Still be carefull with the minibar as it is an automated one, so whatever you touch is marked as drunk even if not ! I found at on our departure day ... Apart from this, the staff was friendly and very helpful, I would probably come back again if I was to get back to Leicester.

Room Tip: We got a nice deal for an executive with breakfast included (6th floor) which was nice and spacious.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Check-in was a little slow as a new member of staff was being trained, but staff were very friendly and helpful. Large room but, perhaps due to the age of the hotel, there is a bit of a tired feeling to the decor. I really liked the green dot system to encourage guests to turn off lights, etc when they leave the room. We ate in the bar, service was very friendly and the food good. Liked the fresh fruit available at breakfast, but found the cooked food a bit lacking.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear JenK297,

Thank you for writing a candid review following your recent stay. We are very glad you found the staff helpful and that the size of the room was to your liking. On the other hand, it is regrettable that the food selections were limited. Despite this, I am glad that you were able to enjoy the fresh fruits.

As a valued guest, we appreciate all the feedback we receive, and most certainly welcome any opportunity to improve. We look forward to having you again on your next future visit.

Warm Regards,

Tracy V.

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

On arriving at the holiday inn my first thoughts were that it was in a pretty good location, easy to find and car park easy to access. The rooms were as I expected basic but reasonably clean. It was'nt massively expensive but I have stayed in much better hotels for a lot less money. The morning we were due to leave check out was at 12 but unfortunately housekeeping had other ideas there constant knocking on doors, vacuuming and high pitched whistles that led us to believe they wanted us to leave. So with that in mind my husband and I decided to get organised and leave firstly by having a shower. The bad news that followed was that the shower that wasn't the cleanest was also freezing cold, I did wonder if housekeeping had turned the hot water off to get everybody out!! When checking out we were asked on a scale of one to ten if we could rate our stay to which we proceeded to explain about the lack of hot water to which the replay was sorry about that did you validate your parking ticket? At that we thought there wasn't much point continuing and left and we both agreed we wouldn't be back in a hurry.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank KStiv29
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear KStiv29,

Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay. It is nice to know that you found our location convenient, and the parking facility easily accessible. It is very troubling to read, though, that the bathroom quality and level of service you received was a let down. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience these aspects have caused.

The feedback we receive from valued guests like you is highly appreciated. We will certainly look into these issues to work on areas of improvement and achieve superior guest satisfaction. Should you be back here in Leicester in the future, we look forward to serving you again.

Warm Regards,

Tracy V.

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for quite a few months, staff were fantastic and always remembered you plus your requirements. Hotel public areas very good but corridors and bedrooms starting to show there age but always clean, food Good for a weeks stay but limited choice. Breakfast team always great and Alfie always ready to greet you, omelettes always very good. Shopping centre only short wall and of places to eat

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Oh Holiday Inn. You never really know what you're going to get, it really does depend on the property, it's age and how much money it's had spent on it of late.

This one is big, it has a pool and has the usual scalable rates depending on how busy it is. Rooms are a good size, clean and fine. But the pool is fairly pointless unless you're taking kids in for a splash. Designed for lengths or a workout it is not. There is a hot tub, sauna and one of those rooms with exercise machines masquerading as a gym. You wouldn't pay to go in but if it's free, it doesn't hurt.

The check in lady on my visit was perturbed by the last minute booking and determined to ensure every detail of my address and bank card matched the booking, when at midnight, I desperately just wanted her to give me a key and forget the ceremony. She didn't take the hint.

'Leisure club' check in guy was very friendly and managed to wake me up with chit chat before I went through to be disappointed by the pool.

It's in an awkward place if you're not driving, but otherwise good for all the away-for-work-business-travellers in their BMWs.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Dear A TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. We are delighted to know that you liked our room size and the friendly service received from our leisure club staff. However, I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced at check-in and if our pool facility did not meet your standards. Rest assured, your comments will be reviewed by the management of the hotel and will be used to target opportunity areas to avoid same incident in the future. We hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is and allow us to redeem your faith in our award winning service.

Charisse V.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I keep returning to this hotel, largely due to its excellent central location and easy and ample parking. The staff are great and the rooms of familiar Holiday Inn standards. After a few visits it is nice to recognised and are welcome warmly. Staff confirm if you still have the same preferences and frequently seen management acknowledge your return. The free Wi-Fi with premium gold membership ensures I can easily stay in touch or use trip advisor for my reviews. For a frequent traveller the gym is essential, but the nearby river tow path provides a good alternative to the treatmill

Room Tip: avoid rooms opposite the lifts
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business